Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LAWLESS {Formerly The Wettest County}

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Book "Wettest county"-now the movie "lawless"

Not long ago I read a great book called "the wettest county" by Matt Bondurant, at the time I thought it would be a great film, now it is. Just premiered at Canne now called "Lawless".
Based on a true story of the authors "kinfolk" who happened to be moonshiners back in prohibition era.
Watch for this film or read the book for a great piece of American history.

flat-top

lawless-moonshine-infographic.jpg

plain old dave

A-List Customer
Looks interesting... Only comment on clothing is in Depression-era Appalachia, the average man only wore a suit to a funeral, a wedding or church. Or court if he had to go. Usually only owned one suit at a time, and more often than not would be buried in it. Even more then than now, Appalachia was desperately poor; I have read a number of WW2 Vets' accounts where they were simply amazed that in the Service they could make so much money. For many Appalachian servicemembers, the military was the best-paying job they had had in their entire life.

Flat Foot Floey

Looks interesting... Only comment on clothing is in Depression-era Appalachia, the average man only wore a suit to a funeral, a wedding or church. Or court if he had to go. Usually only owned one suit at a time, and more often than not would be buried in it. Even more then than now, Appalachia was desperately poor; I have read a number of WW2 Vets' accounts where they were simply amazed that in the Service they could make so much money. For many Appalachian servicemembers, the military was the best-paying job they had had in their entire life.
Fair enough. I don't know about Appalachia. Thanks for the insight.

fnoprx

Familiar Face
Saw it two days ago. Extremely violent, quite well acted, very atmospheric. Guy Pearce really steals the show as a VERY aggressive, evil looking federal agent - with the most evil hair style since Cruella DeVil! It seems a bit too wild to be really realistic, but it has a great sense of style. Definitely worth watching!

flat-top

Just caught this movie! I enjoyed it. It's not the epic that it wants to be, but a good solid film nonetheless. Tom Hardy is low key and great, while Guy Pierce is over the top and steals the movie. Oh, and Labeouf is not bad at all I'm happy to report.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
saw it last night, too. i loved it. had me on the edge of my seat for most of the movie. Hardy was great, Shia was great, everyone did a good job.

I wasn't let down, but i was left a little wanting. i think it was because the pacing of the film was different. it ebbed and flowed A LOT which threw my sense of balance off for timing i think but no complaints.

Gary Oldman sort of let me down, not because of his character, which i thought was amazing, but when you see it, you'll see.

anyway, awesome film and Tom Hardy has been my new favorite actor since Inception.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21