Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather conditioner for B-6 jacket?

HighandDry

A-List Customer
Hi,

I just purchased an Aero B-6 and was wondering what you guys recommend to condition/protect the leather. I've heard that you do not want to use regular leather conditioner on a shearling as this may clog the pores.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

vintage68

Practically Family
Bickmore is the best conditioner available, referred to as Bick 4. It's used primarily for bridal leather.

I was at a trade show recently where their booth showed an old saddle from WWI. Half of the saddle was untouched, the other half was used using the conditioner. I'm not kidding when I say that it looked brand new.

Some folks on here might recommend Pecard, but I don't care for it.

John Lever

One Too Many
It's a waste of time putting any conditioner on shearling, unless the surface is very worn or degraded. The coloured coating you see is not leather, it's a plastic coating of acrylic.
In the 1930's Henri Chapal developed a process to waterproof sheepskin and prevent the penetration of water and petroleum contamination. This is what was used on WW2 sheepskin jackets.
The only way to add oils to the leather is through the wool side if the jacket is new with a complete coating. Any fat/oil based pastes will simply just sit there and attract dirt to the jacket.

Inusuit

A-List Customer
vintage68 said:
Bickmore is the best conditioner available, referred to as Bick 4. It's used primarily for bridal leather.

Reminds me of the old joke about obviously nervous newlyweds checking into a motel on their honeymoon. The desk clerk, aware of their status, asks, "Do you want the bridal suite?" The blushing bride replies, "No thanks, honey, I'll just hold onto his ears until I get the hang of it."

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925