Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather creasing

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I dunno about you, but I'd happily accept the challenge of breaking in three fantastic jackets. Some people are never satisfied ;)

From what I understand leather has memory, a crease that gets worked in is impossible to work out from last i heard. If a show is broken in and it's wrong like a tongue that moves to the wrong place it becomes permanent. Perhaps someone has found a way to fix these things but I can't imagine it will be easy...

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I agree with Sloan. As long as the jacket fits, I think that you are otherwise trying to pole vault over a mouse dropping.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I agree with Sloan. As long as the jacket fits, I think that you are otherwise trying to pole vault over a mouse dropping.
Lol, I guess so. Just that I'd prefer wearing the other 2 to this one thereby prolonging the process.:eek:

Blackadder

Taking Fanch's advice on not to pole vault over a mouse dropping. Here goes the fit and the breaking in.
WP_000240_zpsb0ad4076.jpg

WP_000239_zps99bf8808.jpg

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
The fit looks great. I wouldn't give the creasing another thought, forget about any break in, and simply enjoy your jacket.:)

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Personally I think many people put to much emphasis on breaking jackets in and wanting that 30 year old patina look in a few weeks. Just wear it and enjoy the jacket as the jacket will break in naturally and look great in a few months or even weeks! Wear it for a few years and it will look fantastic.
But there is really only one way to get a jacket to look 30 years old, and thats to wear it for 30 years. GO FOR IT KID!:cool:

Brettafett

One Too Many
I think it looks good. Say... Are all three of your jackets A-2s? If, so, which do you prefer? And can you make some 'personal' observations comparing them? ie quality, leather, fit, knit etc...? (besides what you have already mentioned)...
As for any of you guys lucky enough to own or have owned Aero, Eastman AND a BK... If you could go with only ONE A-2 jacket, who would make it?
(GW has been omitted on purpose, we'd all like one I am sure, but at the mo, too costly [although BK's new hide seems to have pumped up their prices on their premium jackets to almost on par with ELC and GW] and too long a wait)...
Please humour me ;-)

Blackadder

Just re-read a post where Andy gave the following reply-
"To end the speculation, none of the leathers used by BK had any kind of treatment. The new premium dark seal horsehide that the jacket pictured above is made of, comes like this from the tannery. It is very pliable and when worked at the sewing machine etc is bent and folded over many times so it retains some creases and wrinkles."
At the time I did not pay much attention as I have yet received my jacket. Of course mine isn't of the more expensive leather he mentioned. He did mention how the creases and wrinkles came about which I did not find on my other new A-2s.

Blackadder

I think it looks good. Say... Are all three of your jackets A-2s? If, so, which do you prefer? And can you make some 'personal' observations comparing them? ie quality, leather, fit, knit etc...? (besides what you have already mentioned)...
As for any of you guys lucky enough to own or have owned Aero, Eastman AND a BK... If you could go with only ONE A-2 jacket, who would make it?
(GW has been omitted on purpose, we'd all like one I am sure, but at the mo, too costly [although BK's new hide seems to have pumped up their prices on their premium jackets to almost on par with ELC and GW] and too long a wait)...
Please humour me ;-)
Mind you, save for the LW, the other 2 jackets I have are entry-level. Furthermore, none of them is custom built.
I'd say the Aero's craftsmanship is rougher than the other two. However it is difficult to use as yardstick as the Aero I bought is the quartermaster model a one-off deal thrown out in one fast batch at a lower price. I am sure the quality of their normal jackets like the Bronco in the other thread is much better. I also own an Aero ANJ-4 which is actually of better craftsmanship. LW has the best leather and is the most solidly built but also the priciest of the three. The knit of the Aero is thicker and woolier than the LW or BK. LW's knit is about the same as BK's. Apart from the thickest and heaviest leather which some ppl here say is not very authentic, the fit is also very modern. The LW is rather round and roomy in the torso with very long sleeves and body. The sleeves themselves are huge. The BK fit is about the same as the Aero with what ppl here would probably describe as a rather slimmer "wartime cut". As a simple leather jacket, I'd pick LW but have to be custom-made cos none of their regular size will fit me as nicely as BK and Aero. The LW actually feels and looks like a motorcycle jacket. As for A-2 cut and look, I'd choose Aero or BK as LW's cut and craftsmanship seems too modern. As I prefer the smooth HH of my Aero to the jerky BK leather (I think all BK does not use smooth HH), I'd pick Aero. BTW, I am not qualified to talk about authenticity. LOL.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred