Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Jackets & Fine Whisky

Funny this post should come up. I just returned from an Aero fitting in Galashiels with a one-litre bottle of 12-year-old single malt. I agree the leather and the whisky/key are natural partners. I shall soon have to spark up that fat Nicaraguan cigar I've been saving, too.SJ
OK...so what was this fitting for, Sir???

Edward

Bartender
I've never tasted a Japanese whisky before. I do know of a Thai restaurant that keeps a few bottles of Yamazaki on the top shelf. Already made a mental note to try a glass this summer. I looked up Suntory Yamazaki on the Whisky Connosr. It ranked with an overall 82. Not bad. Here is one review that calls it the perfect summer whisky. http://www.connosr.com/reviews/suntory-yamazaki/suntory-yamazaki-12-year-old/the-perfect-summer-whisky/

Cool, I will definitely look into that. Without getting sucked into national stereotyping, my experience of Japanese attention to detail (whether in clothing, or musical instruments or cars) has always been very, very positive. I would be surprised if they weren't able to equal we Celts in the production of quality whiskey. ;)

I was thrilled too, about Suntory being real, - but how I really love this movie, called lost in translation.

Had to buy the dvd last fall, to watch it again.
Bill Murray always have been one of my favourite actors, and Scarlett Johansson is always beautiful to look at, even being of danish origin:D

Wonderful film, yes. I saw it in the cinema and adored it. Then two years later I went to Beijing for the first time. It has changed a lot since then, but even as recently as 2006 it wasn't so common to see Laowai tourists in central Beijing, and so I had some of that experience. It's eerily accurate too of some of my teaching trips - the campus is well outside the centre of town, and we stay in a nearby hotel which is used as a training hotel for staff of the hotel group. New intake every six months - sometimes ore English spoken than others. It's funny how much more resonance the film takes on when you've had that experience. And I love Bill Murray in anything anyhow - ever since I saw Ghostbusters in the cinema in 1984, at the age of ten.

Funny this post should come up. I just returned from an Aero fitting in Galashiels with a one-litre bottle of 12-year-old single malt. I agree the leather and the whisky/key are natural partners. I shall soon have to spark up that fat Nicaraguan cigar I've been saving, too.

SJ

I'm saving hard for my next Aero.... (there are at least four I want before I'll be happy to sit back and wait for the right used / sale deals to turn up..... then there's also the small matter of the Bill Kelso A2, and the Schott Perfecto 618...). When I come close to having the cash, I'll be taking myself to Edinburgh for a long weekend, fitting in a trip to the Galashiels factory...

Speaking of Bill Murray - we saw "Moonrise Kingdom" last night. Great film. As well as the trailer for Murray's other new film where he plays FDR. Guy's on a roll...
Sorry to hijack.

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
Jacket's a 38 A2 in jerky seal with rust knits. I just sold my M422A to fund it. I'm hoping that, after the measuring, this will come close to the perfect jacket of legend.

I guess a trip to the factory is a bit like visiting Mecca for Muslims (although I'd hesitate to compare Galashiels to the promised land). It's a bit of a slog but it was good to meet Will, and I'm hoping it will pay off 12 weeks down the track.

SJ

Jacket's a 38 A2 in jerky seal with rust knits. I just sold my M422A to fund it. I'm hoping that, after the measuring, this will come close to the perfect jacket of legend.I guess a trip to the factory is a bit like visiting Mecca for Muslims (although I'd hesitate to compare Galashiels to the promised land). It's a bit of a slog but it was good to meet Will, and I'm hoping it will pay off 12 weeks down the track.SJ
Excellent! Yeah, it's a rather interesting place it is. You blink on the road and miss it. I felt like I was going to a speakeasy in the back. Will's son answered the door last fall, holding my new jacket. Great kid and a fun place to take a tour of. Can't wait to go back there...

alsendk

A-List Customer
Edward

Wonderful film, yes. I saw it in the cinema and adored it. Then two years later I went to Beijing for the first time. It has changed a lot since then, but even as recently as 2006 it wasn't so common to see Laowai tourists in central Beijing, and so I had some of that experience. It's eerily accurate too of some of my teaching trips - the campus is well outside the centre of town, and we stay in a nearby hotel which is used as a training hotel for staff of the hotel group. New intake every six months - sometimes ore English spoken than others. It's funny how much more resonance the film takes on when you've had that experience. And I love Bill Murray in anything anyhow - ever since I saw Ghostbusters in the cinema in 1984, at the age of ten.

I met my present chinese born wife in 2006 in Beijing, on a business trip, and at that time I felt like a celebrety when walking the streets of the northern part of the city...Anthen thow Singurnanli area, with my long hair, and the shades sitting on top of my head. We have been coming back each year for holiday for a month, and lately nobody is looking at me anymore, and I see more and more caucasian people there, so the fun time seem over for me.
I am still in chock about how badly even public school teachers speaks the english :O(
the good part is that it gives a lot of young people from the west a good chance to stay in China, getting a job as english teachers for a year.
I still like Beijing, but are depressed that so little is left of the old hutont`s. Nobody seem to care, as long as there is space for a new tall building it seem.
having the most dreadful summer here in Denmark, with low temperatures and an never ending rain, I really miss the heat, the noise, and the smog, and the sandstorms of good old Peking.
dow shang hau
Allan

Last edited:

JumpBoot

One of the Regulars
JumpBoot: Suntory Yamazaki 12 is about 40 bucks online. I think you can have wine merchants ship to Alaska. The US of A has relaxed Internet shipping rules on booze as long as it's from one state to another. A few states are still on the outs, but not many any longer.

Thanks for the tip, HD. Order placed successfully. :D

cuthbert

One of the Regulars
My favourite scotch is Ardbeg and my favourite jacket perhaps the 30s half belt I bought in London loong time ago.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Laphroaig 10 and a glass- along with my Pecards to grease up recent purchases- cap off many of my evenings.

(Last night it was a 7823 (AER) LW Foster; the night before it was an early Beck cafe racer- damn this eBay habit!!)

Last edited:

Buzp

New in Town
It's usually to hot here to wear a leather jacket, so rather than abstain, I drink my Jim Beam Devil's Cut and dream of all the fine leather jackets I wish I owned.

Justhandguns

Practically Family
Wow, you fellows do have a taste for whisky.

My combinations: Vanson Model B + Gentleman Jack for the US of A combo and a Macallan 25 for my Aero 38-1711P for the Scottish pairing.

cuthbert

One of the Regulars
Wow, you fellows do have a taste for whisky.

My combinations: Vanson Model B + Gentleman Jack for the US of A combo and a Macallan 25 for my Aero 38-1711P for the Scottish pairing.

Can we express more than a choice?

Then my second one is Talisker + Pegasus D pocket.

robrinay

One Too Many
Well my current favourite jacket is a 1980's Schott 125, but this will end when my order from Aero comes through some time after Christmas. I've ordered the new 1920's half belt in Kudu. I like most whisky and whiskey but my favourite is a single malt called Highland Park. I tried it first ten years ago on the recommendation of an old guy in a Supermarket when my then favourite 'Talisker' had sold out. Like all malts best served with a splash of water to release the flavours and aromas but you'll all know that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy