Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Jackets & Fine Whisky

JumpBoot

One of the Regulars
As much of a surprise as it was to me, the whiskey I enjoy most (and I'm fond of Lagavulin, Laphroaig and Caol Ila) is Suntory Yamazaki. Just a fantastic taste, but damned hard to find in Alaska.

JakeHolman

One of the Regulars
I've always thought there was a strange affinity between Scotland and Japan. Could it be the mountainous landscape and the whisky? Or it could be an Aero jacket and a pair of Japanese made Ironheart jeans make a the perfect combo?

Edward

Bartender
Never got the 'buds for true whiskey. But a shot or two of Southern Comfort works for me. Chased with a cold lager.
Damn, where's fall? :)

Southern Comfort? That'd go nicely with one of those shapeless pleathers from the mall.... :p

Well..I rarely drink whiskey...but when I do..it's usually Irish..and most often Jameson. Just really enjoy it's taste more than most..whether an Aero is nearby or not...and summertime is my time...
HD

Some of the American efforts can be nice, though they're better at Bourbon than a true whiskey. ;)

Best of the lot come from the Bushmills distillery in the north of Ireland - since 1608, the world's oldest licensed distillery (and in business a lot longer than licensed ;) ). Jamesons I also like. Actually, there's not a bad Irish....

Tip for UK Loungers: Sainsbury's supermarket do an own brand Irish Whiskey which is an excellent quality single malt. I haven't yet tracked it down to which of the four distilleries on the island it comes from (I must go over the label again...), but they all produce quality output. This stuff is very much comparable with the regular Bushmills (white label), at significantly less £££. Very nice neat, over ice or with a mixer.

Cole

One of the Regulars
I never got into Whisky, I'm more the Rum drinking kind of guy. Nothing better then a Ron Zacappa Etiquette Nagra (the old one, not the Solera), combined with a good cigar and if necessary a comfortable leather jacket. :)

Yeah, I coulda pretended to be some froo froo poof and googled a high-end Whiskey, but instead I went with what I've had in the past - again, not being a Whiskey guy. lolI prefers my beer, porto, or gins. But I really don't drink much at all these days, so whatever is being served is what I'll have! I got spoilt in the UK last fall with fresh beers in Durham, New Castle, and York. Nothing since has been as good...

Last edited:

Lungomare

A-List Customer
For me it's hard to comprehend how I ever could enjoy any kind of alcoholic drink without wearing a leather jacket – or was it the other way round: How could I ever wear and enjoy a leather jacket without a drink in my hand …:confused:

For me it's hard to comprehend how I ever could enjoy any kind of alcoholic drink without wearing a leather jacket – or was it the other way round: How could I ever wear and enjoy a leather jacket without a drink in my hand …:confused:
That's easy for me. Staying at the beach in Santa Barbara with ANY drink is great. And yes, it's better in the winter months when I can also wear leather. But one is not needed to enjoy the other - not for me. Booze is good wherever there are friends, and jackets are good even if I'm alone going for a drive, a ride, or sitting drinking coffee at an outdoor cafe. State of mind...

Hammer Down

One of the Regulars
JumpBoot: Suntory Yamazaki 12 is about 40 bucks online. I think you can have wine merchants ship to Alaska. The US of A has relaxed Internet shipping rules on booze as long as it's from one state to another. A few states are still on the outs, but not many any longer.

Edward

Bartender
Does Suntory really exist? There we are... I thought it was a made up brand for Bob Harris posing as Lodgah Moo-ah. ;)

Hammer Down

One of the Regulars

Hammer Down

One of the Regulars
Spitfire: good call on the Islay scotches. I like Ardbeg distillery, as well as Lagavulin. A friend of mine has an extensive collection of Ardbeg bottles, which includes a few local (rare ones) that she brought back from Scotland last year. I've tried various Ardbegs a few times when I visited her house. She is very generous with her bottles and much more knowledgeable than me about whisky, but I must say that there is such a thing as too smoky for my taste. Some of the specialty whiskies that have names like "smoker" and such usually go too far for my taste. I've never tried any Bowmore that I can remember. Have tried Laphroiag once or twice but I can't quite remember how it compared with Ardbeg or Lagavulin. It's nice for one to find a smoky, peaty, seaweedy 12 year that won't cost an arm and a leg to add to one's collection.

oldcrow82

One of the Regulars
Spitfire: good call on the Islay scotches. I like Ardbeg distillery, as well as Lagavulin. A friend of mine has an extensive collection of Ardbeg bottles, which includes a few local (rare ones) that she brought back from Scotland last year. I've tried various Ardbegs a few times when I visited her house. She is very generous with her bottles and much more knowledgeable than me about whisky, but I must say that there is such a thing as too smoky for my taste. Some of the specialty whiskies that have names like "smoker" and such usually go too far for my taste. I've never tried any Bowmore that I can remember. Have tried Laphroiag once or twice but I can't quite remember how it compared with Ardbeg or Lagavulin. It's nice for one to find a smoky, peaty, seaweedy 12 year that won't cost an arm and a leg to add to one's collection.

The bowmore in the $20 range is my absolute favorite whiskey. I don't remember if the label is for the legend or the 12 but under $30 it is a fantasicly smokey peety lightly kissed by the sea salt air whiskey. Everyone should go out and buy one of these if you have already tried the glenlevit
If you haven't tried the glenlevit, start there!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I must admit, I am a Islay man. Bowmore and Laphroiag 12 years goes down very well with the ol' Irvin. Also without.

+1!

I'm a great fan of Islays, although mostly over the colder months. Speysides when it's warmer.

With or without a leather jacket but my Irvin when it's nippy.

alsendk

A-List Customer
I can add my fondness for the gents choice of Islay whiskies, I do like them all - the more taste of peat, marsh seawater and smoke, the better.
A little strange that Bunnahabhain seem to be a very friendly whisky in this crowd of Lagavulin, Ardbeg, Bowmore, Laphroaig, Coal Ila, and ...Port Ellen - that I have never tasted.
My dad loved whisky too, but in the sixties, the names to be able to pay were like King George V, Johnny Walker red label, and Watt69....the rest here were far too expensive I guess, and were not even on the shelves on the local wineshop.

This one was the latest addition, coming from near Aberdeen, and really a Speyside whisky, are surprisingly peaty, with a ppm about 10-12. A strong and fine whisky, Ardmore is.

ardmore.jpg
[/IMG]

Maybe many danes choice of strong whiskies have to do with the living in this cold climate up north, what say you Søren, or just a slight reminicense in the genes, from being vikings....very slight:D

Last edited:

alsendk

A-List Customer
Does Suntory really exist? There we are... I thought it was a made up brand for Bob Harris posing as Lodgah Moo-ah. ;)

I was thrilled too, about Suntory being real, - but how I really love this movie, called lost in translation.

Had to buy the dvd last fall, to watch it again.
Bill Murray always have been one of my favourite actors, and Scarlett Johansson is always beautiful to look at, even being of danish origin:D

Last edited:

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
Funny this post should come up. I just returned from an Aero fitting in Galashiels with a one-litre bottle of 12-year-old single malt. I agree the leather and the whisky/key are natural partners. I shall soon have to spark up that fat Nicaraguan cigar I've been saving, too.

SJ

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy