Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Jackets With Ties

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Many advertisements from years past depict leather jackets with dress shirts and ties, as if the leather jacket were an alternative to a sport coat (see below). I know some here wear their leather jackets with ties (as seen in fit pics). I personally do not. I wear leather jackets as casual outerwear, accompanied by casual jeans/shirts. Dress shirts and ties are on the opposite end of my clothing spectrum. This appears to be a departure from the intent of the original manufacturers, as reflected by their original advertisements.

What say you? Do you mix leather jackets and ties, as was intended by the original manufacturers and depicted in their advertisements; or do you segregate your leather jackets from your ties?

1937Advertisements_zps28ab4b00.jpg

1952Advertisement_zps532c22a5.jpg

1947AdvertisementSears_zpsfa4ae5d3.jpeg

AdvertisementSears_zpsb7e89378.jpg

1942Advertisement_zps4d59dda8.jpg

1936Advertisement_zpseec31ddc.jpg

BucoAdvertisement_zps6a833b97.jpg

thor

Call Me a Cab
Personally, I think it's a great overall look! I usually go casual in my leather jackets but I do wear a shirt and tie with my A-2 or M-422 (G-1) at work.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
As I am oriented towards 1930-40's fashion, "tie" and "casual" are not opposite terms for me.
I don't wear leather jackets with "dressy" or "formal" silk ties, but with more casual/sportive wool/cotton ties (muted tie fabrics are a great contrast to the shiny leather).
When more casual I usually wear a plaid flannel shirt without tie under my leather jackets.

Leather jacket with tie combos IMO only look good in a more or less period-oriented context - with the right company of "sportive tie" and properly waisted wool flannel/gabardine trousers (preferably solid colored) or chinos. In other words: it won't look right with modern suit trousers or jeans and a long modern business tie.

Last edited:

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
As I am oriented towards 1930-40's fashion, "tie" and "casual" are not opposite terms for me.

Nail, meet head. If a tie is considered a casual accessory, as was the case in the 1930s-40s, it makes perfect sense with a leather jacket. I perceive a tie as a more formal accessory; hence, the disconnect between ties and leather jackets.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Depends on the style. Non-biker types, especially in brown, can look very smart with a tie. Would be less comfortable wearing a tie with something like a black Perfecto, though, purely because that's has very established associations nowadays. I wear my half-belt and long half-belt to work all the time, they both look very smart, and get a lot of love from my co-workers, especially the LHB.

I agree with Fastuni. However..I also agree that a tie with a black motorcycle jacket with belt and all the zips looks out of place. I would feel OK wearing a casual or wool tie with my brown Bootlegger,tho.
HD

devilish

A-List Customer
As many of you know (and illustrated in that last picture above, with the chap and his two kids) what would today generally be considered as a 'biker' jacket was very popular in the 20's through 40's, especially with early aviators and was very often worn with a tie. This look was then adopted by the first motorcyclists and the rest is history. Anyways, I personally think that style of 'W' fronted jacket can look really good with a shirt, tie, the right pants and shoes. The only caveat I have is it should be on the plainer end of that style and in a brown leather because I don't generally like black leather jackets.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
While I haven't worn a tie in 20 years, I actually think the tie and leather jacket look is perfectly fine as the period shots attest.

I think of this look; not a great movie but a nice looking jacket tie combo.

Le10.jpg

Or this one.

The-Natural-VoicesFILM.com-1280-x-688-14-2.jpg

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
As many of you know (and illustrated in that last picture above, with the chap and his two kids) what would today generally be considered as a 'biker' jacket was very popular in the 20's through 40's, especially with early aviators and was very often worn with a tie. This look was then adopted by the first motorcyclists and the rest is history. Anyways, I personally think that style of 'W' fronted jacket can look really good with a shirt, tie, the right pants and shoes. The only caveat I have is it should be on the plainer end of that style and in a brown leather because I don't generally like black leather jackets.

I agree, the Bootlegger can look really sharp with a shirt and tie. I with you on the brown leather issue too, I feel black is just a bit to severe for work.

Plumbline

One Too Many
If I'm wearing chinos or "dress trousers" with the leather then a tie is fine ... I tend to never wear a tie with jeans.

The Detroit / Halfbelt goes well with a nice pair or dress/work trousers and a casual tie ( plain) and even a hat .... even with the biker - Detroit / Oakland / Bootlegger / Rockafella call it what you will - style collar .... and it goes equally as well with jeans.

Even the Highwayman / Roadster collar is fine with a tie. Black or Brown look equally good IMHO but I wouldn't wear a tie with a dedicated motorcycle jacket (perfecto or D-pocket) ... that's a T-shirt underneath only or a light sweater. Shirts and ties NEVER get worn on the bike IMHO.

GREAT pics and a nice pointer / reminder given current fashion trends away from ties with leather jackets.

Last edited:

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
Since the Navy has done away with all uniforms with ties, the exception being our Service Dress Blues (SDB). Aviators commonly wear their leather flight jackets instead of their SDB jacket around the office, on the rare occasion they wear their blues. It is not an "official" uniform, but it is done only while in the office or around the hangar. The tie makes it look sharp.

It was authorized to be worn with our Service Dress Greens, when we had them.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I wear ties to work with my Teamster, Maxwell, Pioneer, and Mulligan routinely. I would have no problem wearing ties with my A-2's or G-1 either for that matter. I even wore ties to work with my Highwayman while I owned it. I wouldn't wear a tie with my Filson jackets, nor would I wear a tie with a pure motorcycle jacket.

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
I don't think that it's a question of a tie implying "dressy" so much as a tie was just regular clothing, like a belt or socks, that you would probably wear whenever you dressed for the street. The other day I saw a photo of young newsboys around 1910? and, while in no way shape or form were they dressed formally, every single one had some kind of a tie around his neck.

P.S. To my way of thinking an A1 or A2 looks super with a medium blue shirt and a black tie. I call it the "Waldo Pepper" look.

Last edited:

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Yeah, why not?

There's that picture of HH wearing high waisted slacks, nice shoes, a fedora, and a leather jacket (I don't remember if he was wearing a tie) but with that style, why not- must look good.

I wouldn't wear a tie if I was wearing a leather jacket with jeans, but with slacks, and a nice shirt, could be quite smart.
It might not look so good with flight jackets that have elasticated cuffs and waist, but just my opinion.

pipvh

Practically Family
Leather jacket with tie? Very tricky, IMHO. It's a vintage look, and personally I wouldn't try it unless the trousers were vintage or vintage style, ditto the shirt and the footwear. And the tie has to be spot-on as well. I suppose I might just be scarred by memories of the New Wave era: black leather jackets and piano ties.:nono:

Or, worse: leather jacket and leather tie...:eeek:

ForestForTheTrees

One of the Regulars
This combo doesn't seem like much of a stretch to me, especially when it comes to civilian style jackets.

To be honest, it is far less perplexing than people wearing motorcycle jackets that don't ride motorcycles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy