Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LEAVE YOUR HAT ON DURING THE NATIONAL ANTHEM...

shoeshineboy

Practically Family
If you just listened to the announcer of the World Series...he said before the National Anthem....

"PLEASE REMOVE YOUR CAPS"....:rage:

What no hats to be removed ???

This can't be right...or is this guy thinking nobody wears hats anymore ???

Times have changed....

Can somebody contact the announcer and tell him about the Fedora Lounge !!!!

Go Cards !!!

Mark the shoeshine boy

SinatraStyle

A-List Customer
It's interesting that he made that remark. I was watching television yesterday and they were showing clips from some of the World Series games from the '30s. It was great to see the people attending the games in suits and hats.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Crowd Caps

Bet there wasn't a fedora in sight...
This is just yet another unfortunate consequence of non-Chicago Cubs
postseason play: a noticeable national decline of ballpark sartorial standards
during the playoffs and Series.

NewMexExpat

One of the Regulars
WHAT National Anthem??

shoeshineboy said:
If you just listened to the announcer of the World Series...he said before the National Anthem....

I was wondering what violence Bob Seger would do to the Star Spangled Banner. No worries there; he followed the National Anthem announcement by instead singing "America, the Beautiful". :eusa_doh: Wouldn've been nice at the seventh inning stretch.

Regards,

- Mark

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
At the minor league games my dad liked to go to, up until he died last month, the announcer would say, "Please stand for God Bless America." My dad wouldn't. Once a guy said to him, "You're supposed to stand." My dad said, "How many Purple Hearts do you have?" Even though he was in a wheelchair he would of course stand for the National Anthem.

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
BegintheBeguine said:
At the minor league games my dad liked to go to, up until he died last month, the announcer would say, "Please stand for God Bless America." My dad wouldn't. Once a guy said to him, "You're supposed to stand." My dad said, "How many Purple Hearts do you have?" Even though he was in a wheelchair he would of course stand for the National Anthem.

Outstanding! :eusa_clap

And happy birthday!

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
I have to admit, it did catch me off guard when the announcer asked everyone to stand and remove their caps for the singing of "America the Beautiful," as opposed to the National Anthem...

NewMexExpat

One of the Regulars
Not what I heard

jimmy the lid said:
I have to admit, it did catch me off guard when the announcer asked everyone to stand and remove their caps for the singing of "America the Beautiful," as opposed to the National Anthem...

That was my point, and why my reaction was strongly negative: the announcer said "National Anthem", not "America the Beautiful". I don't know if the wrong title was an announcer's mistake, if Seger made a substitution without coordinating with the announcer or if no one in the Detroit, MLB, or Fox organizations thought it was an important distinction.

I wasn't off-guard; I was paying attention, because I didn't recognize Seger by sight, and when his name was announced in the same sentence with National Anthem, I waited in morbid fascination. It was a better choice for him and listeners, but an unfortunate decision/mistake (in my opinion) to omit the anthem, and to use the incorrect announcement.

- Mark

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Hey, Mark. Step on up to the bar with me -- I'm betting you a beer that the announcer said "America the Beautiful," not "National Anthem"...

SinatraStyle

A-List Customer
jimmy the lid said:
Hey, Mark. Step on up to the bar with me -- I'm betting you a beer that the announcer said "America the Beautiful," not "National Anthem"...

I don't know what was said before Game 1, but I did pay extra attention to the announcer when they prepared for the National Anthem prior to Game 2. The announcer did get it right on Sunday (but still said, "Gentlemen, please remove your caps...").

I'm still curious what was said before Game 1.

NewMexExpat

One of the Regulars
With enough BBQ sauce...

jimmy the lid said:

... even Crow probably tastes OK. And I may have to eat it. I've looked long and hard, and can't find a transcript of the game, or any mention of the announcement. I may have heard what I was expecting to hear. I'm going to ask around to see if anyone I know taped the game.

Some things obvious in my searching:

- Using America the Beautiful to open a game is by no means unprecedented. Tony Bennet did it, probably because, as Seger told local papers the Anthem is a "death trap" for singers.

- Seger singing America the Beautiful instead of the Star Spangled Banner was planned and well publicized a good deal in advance of the game.

- Fox apparently has a bit of a reputation for broadcast mistakes, and not carefully editing templates or advance setups when things change. I saw at least one claim that Saturday they had a scoreboard or other graphic that had the Mets listed as the NL team.

So, after all the tempest in a teapot, I'll step up to the bar with you, Jimmy. (But if we do happen to find out I'm right, make mine Dr. Pepper.)

Regards,

- Mark

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I would postulate that "caps" is the proper verbiage since it was at THE freakin place where caps are universally known and accepted- a baseball game. We DO actually see folks wearing team baseball caps to route their team on.

SinatraStyle

A-List Customer
I agree, Twitch. Ballcaps are appropriate at the ball park in my book, although I wish that I had been around in the days when gentlemen (and ladies) dressed up for the games.

What truely disappoints me was the decision to leave the National Anthem out of the ceremonies for Game 1. Was it performed at a separate time, or was only America the Beautiful performed? At least they remedied the situation for Game 2.

NewMexExpat

One of the Regulars
You know, it kind of tastes like chicken.

jimmy the lid said:
OK, Mark, I'll supply the BBQ sauce (how about Gates BBQ Sauce from KC, my fave), and thanks in advance for the brew. ;)

Luckily, we have our own replay booth to settle this bar bet, supplied courtesy of YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WljpE8UZ1vg

Cheers! :cheers1:

Jimmy

And Jimmy, Gates is one of my favorites. It really helps things like this go down easier:

NewMexExpat said:
... the announcer said "National Anthem", not "America the Beautiful". ... I wasn't off-guard; I was paying attention, ...

*Ouch!* (sorry, I bit myself).

My apologies to you and all here, as well as to Major League Baseball, Fox Sports, and Mr. Seger. And thanks for giving me the chance to chew, Jimmy; that sure could have (should have?) been shoved down my throat. (Glad I didn't say anything about eating my hat!)

And before I forget, here's your beer :cheers1: :beer: :cheers1: (wish I knew where to find the giant sized one)

Shut my mouth,

- Mark

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn