Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LEAVE YOUR HAT ON DURING THE NATIONAL ANTHEM...

shoeshineboy

Practically Family
did you all notice that game three the announcer told everyone to remove thier caps !!!!

tony says it best...people who wears hats...don't have to be told !!!!

mark the shoeshine boy

RedPop4

One Too Many
I'd be willing to bet that Seger believes The Star-Spangled Banner is "too violent" or somesuch, but don't hold me to it. Of course it IS a VERY difficult song to sing well even for singers with good pitch and a wide range. It goes VERY high, and it drops into the depths within just a couple of measures.

THEN there's the idea that the entire first verse is made up of questions, with long clauses and phrases in between the beginning and the end of the interrogative statements. These are very difficult to render properly, and even moreso by some famous rock or pop stars who can barely comprehend English to begin with.

O, say, can you see by the dawns early light, what, so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming?

Whose broad stripes and bright stars, through the perilous fight, o'er the ramparts we watched, were so gallantly streaming?

That's difficult to phrase properly when speaking, much less in song.
I can see a singer with a "cigarette voice" choosing to do America the Beautiful. Of course, it's a cop out, it would be better to have a "no-name" singer who can properly LEAD THE CROWD in singing the song than to have some Hollywoodite butcher it. But hey, what do I know?

I love those photos from baseball and all sports in general when people dressed in suits, but I'm kind of glad that I can wear my team's colors to games when the weather is 95/95 here.

I also miss the cigars at sporting events. That haze over sporting events lends a sense of mystery and mystique to sporting events that's now gone.
I can understand the ban in a high school gym, but outdoors? Ridiculous. Government sanctioned discrimination. But I'll say no more, what I've already said is impolitic enough, sorry for my rant.

Topper

Vendor
Interesting views.... On the other side of the pond, i also take offence when men (if not on duty e.g. military guard e.t.c.) do not remove their hats.

I was in Proms in the Park, one of UK major events and i could not abide the people who would not take of their hat at the end of the performance, even worse other continuned to walk out to go home early whilst "God save the Queen" was being performend. Likewise walking around is a discourtsey.

So do you all agree with the definition....

A Hat is not a Cap, a Cap is not a Hat, both are forms of 'headwear', with the cap having a single sided 'peak' brim.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IGDS