Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's see your mechanical watches

101 Pathfinder

A-List Customer
This is a flea market $25 find. Swiss made Waltham from 1963, my birth year and reason for buying. It's perfect! Wafer thin, Swiss Made.
What more could you want.
Waltham 1.jpg
Waltham 2.jpg
Waltham 3.jpg

101 Pathfinder

A-List Customer
⇧ 101 Pathfinder, both are really nice, the second one is, IMHO, an icon that is on my to-buy-when-the-opportunity-is-right list. I love its simple, classic, timeless looks.

The very reason I bought it. Simple and elegant. I paid $300 for it, which I thought was right on target. I also have a beautiful Lord Elgin that I will post pix. It looks brand new and I got it for a song.

101 Pathfinder

A-List Customer
A very nice example of a Railway Grade pocket watch from circa 1954. Elgin sure knew how to make them! That "Montgomery" style dial looks to be in great shape.

It is in great shape. No cracks or pits. The front cover is plastic and not glass. I don't know if that's how it came or if it was a replacement. For sale by the way. :)

viclip

Practically Family
It is in great shape. No cracks or pits. The front cover is plastic and not glass. I don't know if that's how it came or if it was a replacement. For sale by the way. :)
My Elgin Model 571 "B.W. Raymond" was made in 1952 & is virtually identical to yours save that there's a "Canadian" style dial on mine, also pristine. I do like your dial better, the "Montgomery" type is my favorite. If I was looking for a nice vintage 16 size Elgin pocket watch I'd surely give serious consideration to your beauty.

viclip

Practically Family
In addition to my interests in pocket watches & vintage wristwatches, I also dabble in modern mechanical watches. A few years back I acquired a Swiss-made automatic "No. 8" commissioned by Asprey of London, the famous English jewellers outfit known for their trademark usage of the color purple. It's a difficult watch to photograph due to its highly polished stainless steel case & the following shot doesn't do it justice because of reflections plus the purple dial not coming out quite right:

Asprey_.jpg

The 27-jewel movement was certified by COSC as a chronometer. I can see the movement through the transparent case back; the sapphire crystal gives excellent protection to the dial. The 50 meter water protection rating is appreciated. The brown leather strap is of fine quality, unlike the garbage used on too many watches these days ~ you know what I mean, those so-called genuine leather straps that start coming apart after a week of wear.

Some would not consider this to be a proper dress watch due to the purple dial, but I wouldn't hesitate in sporting this timepiece at formal affairs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21