Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's talk sleeve garters!

Jovan

Suspended
Anyone own them? I think they look somewhat stylish, despite that they aren't really needed anymore. Curious as to what materials, method of adjustment, etc. are common and where they can be purchased nowadays.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
There are two kinds for sale these days:

One is flat (like a tapeworm) and nickel-plated. I recommend it. Comfortable and doesn't constrict blood flow.

The other is rounded and covered in a semi-shiny woven cloth, usually with stripes. I do not recommend it. Very uncomfortable and definitely constricts blood flow.

Jovan

Suspended
The only practical use I can see out of them now is getting all that excess fabric to the back. All my store bought shirts have the right sleeve length.

Travis

Suspended
Doran said:
Helmer's apparently has 'em. I only stumbled across them because someone advised me to visit Helmer's in my Portland Oregon thread (q.v.).

http://www.johnhelmer.com/prod.itml/icOid/108

John Helmer's certainly does have them. I have two different pair that I've purchased from there. Both are a stretchy elastic-like metal, one in silver and one in gold, depending on the color of my other accessories for the day. I love the sleeve garters with a vest look for a hot day when I don't feel like wearing a full suit.

Jovan

Suspended
Baron Kurtz said:
You're one of the lucky ones. I very rarely see shirts with less than 34" arms in stores - i need 32". (and then they're ridiculously expensive, but that's a different matter). Thus, to hold my sleeves at the desired length i need to use garters.

bk
You should try a visit to this or this website. Won't take much more cash for shirts than buying them store bought! :) For sure, some go for higher than $42-79.

I'm one of the "lucky" ones who has a 35-36" sleeve length, but as a result of having longer arms they make the overall fit even more blousey. :mad: This is why I want to get more online bespoke shirts.

Bugsy

One Too Many
I own two pairs of the metal sleeve garters I got in England, one silver the other gold. It's been my experience that shirts in Europe have on a few sleeve lengths and most of the men I saw where sleeve garters. I find them very useful.

Jovan

Suspended
The funny thing is, I used to think they were leather or something. But that would probably bind too much and cut off circulation. I saw some other ones that were elastic, ruffly, and silk, but that's a little too froo-froo for me.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Can someone find and post here some photos of people wearing these? I have a basic idea, but I'd like to see them with my eyes.

I wear them at the top of the bicep, but i know others wear them at the elbow. I don't know which is considered 'correct' but my way is certainly more comfortable for me:

Burton2.jpg

bk

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy