Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's talk the Aero 1920s work coat

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
Only thing I'm not crazy about is the open split in the back. If I got one I might request to have that done as a closed seam. Wonder if a sunburst back would look cool on it? It shares the same upper yoke as the sunburst, so it might work

Personally, Freewheelers is the cleanest and most elegant of the 3 (no front yoke).
Himel's is very nice, and I hope to see it in person soon ;)
The Aero comes in third. Something about the collar...and the cut is a bit boxier.
If you do go Aero, I'd lose the back belt, and get it in the Vicenza. The thick FQHH would be too much hide IMHO.
Hopefully WDW will post some updated shots of his.

Last edited:

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here

wdw

One Too Many
Hopefully WDW will post some updated shots of his.
Well, as Grayland alluded to above, I moved mine on quite a while ago and got a Teamster instead. I just wasn't wearing it much, much preferring the looser-fitting Stockman.

Looking at some of the mods mentioned above, a plain back and losing the half belt, you're almost at a Stockman again. I'd no problem with the FQHH on it, though, and that's still my preferred hide for all my jackets.

Jägernaut

Practically Family
I absolutely love the look of the Himel Canuck above all others. If it weren't for the crazy high price, I would cancel my goodwear order and get the canuck. When my turn in the goodwear queue come up, I'm going to discuss button-front possibilities with John.

Superfluous

I absolutely love the look of the Himel Canuck above all others. If it weren't for the crazy high price, I would cancel my goodwear order and get the canuck. When my turn in the goodwear queue come up, I'm going to discuss button-front possibilities with John.

Sounds like there may be a new GW model next year.

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
@wdw sorry, my bad...

I agree with many of these comments.

I'd love the Brakeman, save for the price and because there seems to be only about one left in the world. The Canuck, similarly, but the price is just too high for me.

Was thinking about a one piece back on the Aero coat but, because it is very trim, it might make it unwieldy. Wdw, you've worn it; what do you think?

Could lose the side-adjusters on the Aero, too, perhaps.

And was thinking the russet Vicenza. What do you reckon?

(As a side note, I'm struck by the irony of these, originally, workers' jackets now being way out of the range of all but a very few, leather-obsessed extravagant "workers".)

Last edited:

Superfluous

As a side note, I'm struck by the irony of these, originally, workers' jackets now being way out of the range of all but a very few, leather-obsessed extravagant "workers".

A'int that the truth. Of course, the same can be said for biker and military repros. The top end repros are considerably more expensive than the originals (even after accounting for inflation). On the other hand, the top end repors are also better quality. Fortunately, there are also repros available that are more similarly priced to the originals (after accounting for inflation).

Jägernaut

Practically Family
And was thinking the russet Vicenza. What do you reckon?

(As a side note, I'm struck by the irony of these, originally, workers' jackets now being way out of the range of all but a very few, leather-obsessed extravagant "workers".)
I wore my russet vicenza today. I have one of the first ones delivered to thurston bros. early on. The finish is more marbled than what has been shown more recently. I think it looks great. Very rich finish. I think it appears to have more depth with the marbling.

Great observation regarding chore coat being way out of range for the working man.

wdw

One Too Many
Was thinking about a one piece back on the Aero coat but, because it is very trim, it might make it unwieldy. Wdw, you've worn it; what do you think?
I suppose it depends on whether you size up or not. Mine was so trim that losing that little extra flexibility on the back would definitely have made it more constricting, especially if say driving in it.

But if you size up and lose the trimness, to me that kind of loses the point of the neater fitting premier range and takes you back into looser fitting car coat territory, but just with a different style.

As for all the changes, so many have been mentioned here that if they were all implemented it would become a different jacket. It'll be interesting to see what Aero would consider acceptable aesthetically.

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
I wore my russet vicenza today. I have one of the first ones delivered to thurston bros. early on. The finish is more marbled than what has been shown more recently. I think it looks great. Very rich finish. I think it appears to have more depth with the marbling.

Great observation regarding chore coat being way out of range for the working man.

Jägernaut, would love to see some pics of the aged Vicenza. Very hard to get a sense of its "true colours", given the different lights people snap it under. Have asked Aero for some samples.

pipvh

Practically Family
Sloan, just out of interest, do you have a pic of the back of the original jacket? I'm toying with the idea of one of these as my next jacket (in black Vicenza) but the split seam bugs me, as does the half-belt, mainly because I think the Canuck and the Brakeman are more period authentic. But I'm delighted to be proved wrong.

Both the Brakeman and Canuck have a seam down the back. What they don't have is the yoke at the top and the "belt" at the waist.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany