Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for a first leather jacket, likely the only one I'll have for a long time.

eggleman

One of the Regulars
Can't go wrong with the Highwayman .. after-all it's good enough for James Bond (Daniel Craig) and House M.D (Hugh Laurie) .
I'd also add internal pockets if you get one custom made.

JVK

New in Town
Maybe... You guys are too good salesmen. About how much does a custom Highwayman run, though? Significantly more than the current ~$960 price tag?

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Slightly less vanilla than a Highwayman: 50s halfbelt in brown or black ;)

I say no to a G1/M422; not versatile enough with the mouton collar.

If just one jacket? I say go Scott's route of a Good Wear Ventura in dark seal Shinki HH. Stunning form and function. Winner, winner. Tho now they're much pricier ;)

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Other option IMHO would be a versatile, classic contract A2. Eg Dubow 27798 or Rough Wear 27752 or a Doniger (lovvve the Doni ;))

The again, leather jackets collecting is like drug addiction. You say, "one time, no problem". Next thing you know, you're nerding out over grommet vs triple mark zippers, and veg vs chrome tanned hides. Mark my words: there will at least be a second ;) (need something to wear with the other shade of shoes, right?)

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Another route might be a custom jacket made by Johnson Leather Company in San Francisco. Maybe they could send you a test jacket to help determine what size and how much taper might be needed, etc.

Another route might be a custom jacket made by Johnson Leather Company in San Francisco. Maybe they could send you a test jacket to help determine what size and how much taper might be needed, etc.
Good point. Lando posted up some "big guy" jackets and they look great. JL seems to be a good choice these days...

Metatron

One Too Many
I agree with most of the suggestions in principle, I recommend either a Luftwaffe: versatile and not baggy or a halfbelt: neat design with a narrow waist which will accentuate your physique if you are athletic. Mind you a halfbelt is just a style, not exclusive to Aero.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
JVK, given your physical dimensions, I would be hesitant to order outside the US, primarily because of potential shipping expense if return is necessary, and would want a test jacket sent before placing a complex custom order. I have heard really good press about Johnson Leather on the FL, although I have no personal experience. Last I heard G&B will allow a return, although it is my understanding that G&B no longer does custom orders.

JVK

New in Town
Other option IMHO would be a versatile, classic contract A2. Eg Dubow 27798 or Rough Wear 27752 or a Doniger (lovvve the Doni ;))

The again, leather jackets collecting is like drug addiction. You say, "one time, no problem". Next thing you know, you're nerding out over grommet vs triple mark zippers, and veg vs chrome tanned hides. Mark my words: there will at least be a second ;) (need something to wear with the other shade of shoes, right?)

Haha I love it too, but it's a bit out of my price range toward $1,500.

I say there won't be a second because I honestly won't be able to get a second, even if I wanted. I won't be making money for a long time after this year, just going to school and paying off debt, but I want to make this one purchase count before the student loans rack up. I'm not destroying my savings for this, I promise, I've budgeted for it each month of the last year, but there's not enough to get two options.

The collared moto jackets look great, though. I don't know if the horsehide's quite for me, jury's still out there, but that's a solid one. If there's a jacket I'd opt for horsehide over goat for it's these collared motos you've all been posting. As far as the flight jackets, it'd be the A-2 or G-1 in dark brown goat, if G-1 with detachable or no wool collar.

JVK, given your physical dimensions, I would be hesitant to order outside the US, primarily because of potential shipping expense if return is necessary, and would want a test jacket sent before placing a complex custom order. I have heard really good press about Johnson Leather on the FL, although I have no personal experience. Last I heard G&B will allow a return, although it is my understanding that G&B no longer does custom orders.

Definitely. US-made it is.

I'll try to contact G&B about some alterations, although if any of you know firsthand please do let me know. I sent Johnson Leather an email earlier today, but it's tough over email... if any of you can tell me about the quality of their goatskin (should I get veg-tanned goatskin or chrome-tanned, and does Johnson even offer both?) and what you know about their flight jackets (they only have photos of an A-2 version on the website) please do let me know.

If you have recommended customizations (switch out X on the jacket for X, etc.) off a base A-2 model, that'd be even better. You can view their base model here:
http://www.johnsonleather.com/m-120.htm

Last edited:

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
Keep your eye on the Aero sale pages.. There are a few there now that may work for you..if you decide on a new jacket.. Keep insurrection in mind.. They can send a test jacket and they sell aero, vanson etc... And the wait times are closer to 2 months rather than 6

Mike_Honcho

New in Town
I have the same chest and waist as you. I found the G-1 from G&B too roomy in the body. The Mil-spec Cockpit G-1 fit better but I'm going to have to go custom. You are taller than I am so I think a 44R from The Cockpit will fit you well.

JVK

New in Town
I'm finding these 30's/50's halfbelts more and more gorgeous. Haha shit, wow. The problem is the price range, since with some custom sizing $1,500's a little beyond my budget. Not that I don't think it's worth it - it is - but something beyond $1,000 isn't really in the cards for me at this point in time.

This jacket from Lost Worlds really is beautiful, though.
http://www.lostworldsinc.com/images/TestRusset-9A.jpg
Custom sizing wouldn't happen to be included in their price tag, would it? Even if this one is $1,150, a bit over my budget...

Schott only has one offering, and it's only in black on top of being a fixed 25" length (and custom work from them... they don't do that right now, although I don't think the price increase'd be worth it over other company's offerings).
http://www.schottnyc.com/products/fabric/leather/mens-classic-horsehide-racer-motorcycle.htm

I found this one from the Temple of Jawnz:
http://toj-gallery.com/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=5597&g2_serialNumber=1
although it lacks the third chest pocket, which I wish it had.

I'd go for the custom Aero, but I get the feeling that's up near the $1,500 mark again.

Would Johnson Leathers duplicate the halfbelt pretty closely? Would they have a leather capable of working with this (I know most of their default moto jackets are cowhide), and what do you guys think of a goat halfbelt instead of horse?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I have a 1940's style half-belt by Johnson in 3oz brow cowhide - they copied from photos a Californian half-belt. It's as lovely as my Horsehide Aero. Certainly it is as well made (possibly better) than the Aero.

They can make anything at a decent price with reduced waiting. I also have a Johnson's goatskin in a cafe racer. The goat is nice but fairly thin - 2.5oz. It would work as a half-belt but I prefer the cowhide.

If you don't ride a motorbike you never need hide thicker than 3oz. It's pointless and less pleasant to wear. I personally prefer 2.5oz for a daily wearer. Remember for warmth it's the lining and what you wear underneath that counts. Leather is not warm, not matter how thick.

Don't underestimate cowhide. I have cowhide jackets I've worn for 20 years with no problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner