Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for Advice - A2 Jacket Repairs?

pak

One of the Regulars
Hello, I am looking for some suggestions on where I can get a jacket repaired. I have an older goat Cooper A2 in need of new cuffs. It may very well be not worth recuffing but I need to check anyway.
Thanks,
Pete

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Hello Pete and Welcome to The Fedora Lounge.

I've edited your title from "Repairs?" so that you have a better chance of getting replies.

Lando

Practically Family
I bring my A2s to a local luggage leather worker. I didnt know who to go to either for a while and just started searching around. In the end I found that my local luggage store also had a skilled leather worker who specifically advertised that he worked on vintage flight jackets. He's never done knits for me, but he's sown up a a number of things and pretty much matched the stitching on my jackets. So, try looking for leather workers or people who work on leather luggage, you might find a line there. Also, don't some of the jacket makers do fixes? You should call around and ask, never hurts. Hope you find someone.

I'm sure the vendors do some of this, but I wonder if a Cooper is going to be worth the cost? I see them so cheap on Ebay that I'd wager not. But it never hurts to ask around...

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
Cooper can replace them for you, but a local leather shop will work just as well and no shipping. Check for a cobbler in your area, they usually have the right sewing machine to handle the work.
I wouldn't trash a Cooper. As new productions go they are nice jackets.

CBI

One Too Many
yes, local shoe repair or tailor (who uses an older machine). Its an easy job.

pjstrass

One of the Regulars
you can get replacement cuffs from US Wings and with a little luck a local tailor will put them on ....US Wings charges $60 I think ...plus shipping cost...Cooper has been out of business for a few years...

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I would buy a set of replacement cuffs from Vintage Productions in the US who supply Japanese MASH knits, remove the old ones and machine stitch the replacements on following the original stitch holes. It is a fairly easy to do. If you do not feel confident to do the work yourself, a local cobbler is a good choice.

442RCT

One of the Regulars
I've had many knits on A-2s replaced. Unless you get exact color replacements, it's best to replace both waistband and cuffs. For a Cooper, you don't really need to buy expensive replacement knits since Cooper OEM knits were not the highest grade anyway. (ps - my Cooper and Avirex knits have outworn my ELC knits, I think it's because the Coopers and Avirex knits weren't 100% wool but a poly/wool knit) I've been able to buy them off eBay for less than $20. Any local tailor shop who says they will do leather sewing can do the job, it's not difficult IF they have a leather machine and a competent tailor. The tailor shop I take my jackets to has 3-4 seamstresses but only one sews leather.

TPD166

One Too Many
I'm reviving an older thread rather than starting a new one on the same topic.

I need to replace the cuffs on my Aero A-2 (only one has a hole, but will replace both) - they are the "brick red" color. Can these be obtained from Aero or does anyone have an alternative source to recommend?

Thanks!

TPD166

One Too Many
Thank you - I have purchased from this seller as well and agree that his goods are top notch. But he does not have the cuffs in the Aero "brick red" color I need to replace and match the waistband. I know I could replace both, but I want to keep the "red" knits. I've reached out to Aero, but no luck yet.

Thanks again!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WW-II-US-Ar...343926?hash=item2ef5439a36:g:TI8AAOSwNSxU6OLg

I have bought two sets of G-1 knits and one set of A-2 knits from this seller. They are as advertised, top quality at a good price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner