Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lost Worlds jackets.

Yeah..but you gotta deal with that man and hope to hell that everything goes well...:p

Never had an issue. It's funny - all the vendors we use here are distinctly different. I grew up back East, so maybe LW isn't a bother for me. I still am fond of the straight-talking ways, whereas some really don't care for it.

The products speak for themselves, so I guess I'm not bothered by it. Now, would I rather work with JC or Stu in the same office? Likely I'd say JC is in a class by himself. But neither one offered me a job ;)

2wheelgrplr

A-List Customer
I find the web site highly entertaining. Leave alone the write-ups, the site design is a time capsule of early 1990s!

I like my LW jacket, as well as some of the others I see on his site, but some of the other designs are not quite my cup of tea. I'm trying to get a custom order done through a friend, I'm told this might be "difficult" ... let's see :)

zebedee

One Too Many
Some of the designs are great- I think pea coats look weird on almost anyone, but like the LW one. I point out the website to students to illustrate the best examples of camp humour as being unintentional.

That green moose hide is definitely something.

oneterrifichog

Practically Family
Never had an issue. It's funny - all the vendors we use here are distinctly different. I grew up back East, so maybe LW isn't a bother for me. I still am fond of the straight-talking ways, whereas some really don't care for it.

The products speak for themselves, so I guess I'm not bothered by it. Now, would I rather work with JC or Stu in the same office? Likely I'd say JC is in a class by himself. But neither one offered me a job ;)

I have been purchasing jackets from Stuart for the last 15 years and never had an issue. I like his jackets more than others and frankly they last well. I currently own 6 LW jackets no make that 7 if you include the Denim J-23 and all of them are absolutely the "cats meow". The dude tells it like it is period. I like the tailoring and the leather and the fit is traditional so it pushes me hard to keep the "gut down or I ain't wearing them" so damn what more can I ask for?

Last edited:

sweetfights

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have the LW J23 and am currently waiting on the Ryder in 4 OZ .
I love the quality, fit and superior product. I am not in the least put off by his website and certainly not from speaking with him.
One of a kind product. My experiences with Stu have been all positive.
J

heron163

One of the Regulars
I have nothing but positive experiences with Stu... I have five customs (2X trojan, deerskin ryder, deerskin A2) a bedford, and a B-3... all of them are used by me and have needed the occasional repair over the years - which he has performed w/o issue...

AdeeC

Practically Family
Contacted LW about buying a jacket on their sales page a while back and never got a reply. I like their products but they gone off the radar for me.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I think everything above shows what a lottery LW is. I would not criticise the quality of the jackets, they are truly bomb-proof, but I do think that one of the aspects of this niche is the service that comes with a purchase, and I really couldn't be bothered with somebody who either couldn't be bothered with me or, worse, was actively contemptuous of my interest in their product.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
A quality shearling or leather jacket is a major investment, and to my mind, it is as much about who you're dealing with as the product itself. Perhaps I'm getting too old for it, but I really have little patience with offensive attitudes from vendors who act as if they're doing me a favor by taking my money. That sort of conduct isn't "telling it like it is:" it's childish posturing.

oneterrifichog

Practically Family
It's not an age thing, it's just a reasonable expectation.

Hey Sloan, I really don't think Lost Worlds is trying to be a pure custom do whatever you want shop. In my opinion Stuart is trying to produce Gear based on his perception of the way jackets were made in the past. Granted he makes a few exceptions in sizing, zips and even leather type but I really don't expect the kind of service one might get from Langlitz where you can go to their shop and get exact measurements made so it fits based on ones own personal fit. Nor do I think he is up for a lot of customizing i.e. special pattern changes. LW will make certain adjustments lengths, fur collar, etc but if you want a bi swing back on a jacket he doesn't pattern that way normally it ain't going to happen. LW does not try to sell itself on the different personal taste of the public but on the extremely high quality of it's garments. It may not be like Aero or Goodwear but you know something it has worked for Stuart for a long damn time and I sorta dig that.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
It's not what's on offer, OTH, it's the attitude that so many people seem to run up against during communication. But we're going around in circles, I think, as you either roll with it or don't, but I wonder how much trade has been lost for want of some common courtesy *shrugs*. I suspect British buyers find Stu's abrasiveness a bit hard to take as well because, despite all the cliches, the majority of us would really rather die than be rude or abrupt unprompted to a complete stranger, while his website rants really are 'not the done thing'.

I think the drama surrounding other makers over the last three years puts LW in the better range of makers. Frankly, there's been a lot of apologizing for others here and I don't get the persistent whining about LW/Stu.
I'd bet half of those complaining have never bought a jacket from him let alone had a conversation.
Dunno, it's all getting quite old.

Stand By

One Too Many
I wish ALL makers of fine jackets well, I truly do. I think that we, as customers, have never been better served with quality jackets - especially compared to the not-so-distant past whereby there was no internet and just catalogues sent by snail mail and 'phone calls - and I wish every single company well, as they offer us so much choice of a) with who we choose to do business with and b) variety of products - and they maintain competitive prices and products between themselves, so to see any one of them struggling, failing or close (as RMNZ has) is a truly sad thing for me to see (as behind each company are peoples' livelihoods and age-old crafts being employed).
As for LW, I have to say that I wish the website could be revised as it doesn't do the owner any favours. It's a refreshing and amusing read - at first. Then, after a while, I found that it descends into a diatribe on the failings of modern man and culture, and it just goes on and on - and I become aware that, as much as I can agree with much of what he's saying, the focus ceases to be about the jackets but is as much/more a negative rant about other things. And it strikes me that what is said there arguably deserves a place - but on a blog or tucked away in another area of the website; not central in your shop window (which a website is). And LW stands alone in this regard as no other company portrays itself in such a way.
Having spent enough time here, I have absolutely no doubt at all that the products truly are fine and there are a great many happy customers - and I am sincerely delighted to read that every time (for the reasons stated in my first paragraph).
But as Sloan said, the website must put people off - it certainly puts me off. I am sure the owner and I would get along - but what if there was a problem? Would he still like and indulge me? I don't know. It's the abrasive text that gives me pause. And that is why I'd like to see the website revised and become more professional and welcoming. It would help everyone.

Last edited:

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
I think the drama surrounding other makers over the last three years puts LW in the better range of makers. Frankly, there's been a lot of apologizing for others here and I don't get the persistent whining about LW/Stu.
I'd bet half of those complaining have never bought a jacket from him let alone had a conversation.
Dunno, it's all getting quite old.

well said.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy