Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lost Worlds jackets.

les_garten

One of the Regulars
Thanks much, first off. I'm having a few issues and/ or contradicting info, tho:

- He says altering jackets isn't their business. If he did alterations, I wouldn't worry in the least and just go with 40 and have him slim down the waist later if necessary.

- I'm getting the last bit of the sage cotton (not leather!), so an exchange is just not possible, and he says the drape is very different from leather, so I don't see much use in getting a leather try-on specimen.

- I did ask if I could have a "pattern" jacket (no pockets etc, made from a cheap textile fabric) but he advised against it since it would cost (if I recall correctly) $250, a third of the jacket price itself.

- Yeah, everybody says he's great at recommending the correct size, but I see most people wearing their LW jackets too loose for my own personal gauge, hence my asking a) for some hard and fast numbers and b) for people's feelings on my observation (i.e. in order to confirm it or invite constructive dispute).

P.S. - Is there anyone in the EU who would be willing to send me a "loaner" J23 in size 38 or 40? We could surely work something out and it would still be much, much cheaper for me than getting one from the US, so I'd be more willing to do it despite the leather/ textile difference.

Hmmm, somehow I missed the part about Sage cotton J23!

He does some very strange stuff though.

When I say altering, if the arms were too long, he could shorten them, etc.

EU complicates things a bit.

There would be no crossover between how HIS Leather J23 would fit and how a cotton J23 would fit. I would not have included the term Horsehide in my original post. Just drop that idea.

If you intend to pursue this, I would send him pictures front, back, and side profile of yourself, torso only and full height on them all, and go to Langlitz's site and get the measurement guide for ordering their Jackets and get those measurements and provide them.

You may want to do a video of someone measuring you, in inches.

Arnold

One of the Regulars
Some photos were sent of me wearing an older LW Easy Ryder from the same sage cotton in size M (slightly too large, but I haven't tried a size S to know the difference), and of wearing size 40 and 36 (sic) Perfectos. Not much use. Your photo/ video suggestion sounds better, but still leaves me with the uncertainty of his possibly defining "good fit" too losely for my taste. Numbers, oh numbers...
He did ask for my EU suit size and recommended 40 based on my photos with suits, but hey, suit vs moto jkt - not sure if that translates well, esp. with a body like mine.

les_garten

One of the Regulars
Some photos were sent of me wearing an older LW Easy Ryder from the same sage cotton in size M (slightly too large, but I haven't tried a size S to know the difference), and of wearing size 40 and 36 (sic) Perfectos. Not much use. Your photo/ video suggestion sounds better, but still leaves me with the uncertainty of his possibly defining "good fit" too losely for my taste. Numbers, oh numbers...
He did ask for my EU suit size and recommended 40 based on my photos with suits, but hey, suit vs moto jkt - not sure if that translates well, esp. with a body like mine.

I'd give him the numbers whether he wants them or not.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
- Yeah, everybody says he's great at recommending the correct size, but I see most people wearing their LW jackets too loose for my own personal gauge, hence my asking a) for some hard and fast numbers and b) for people's feelings on my observation (i.e. in order to confirm it or invite constructive dispute).

I have three LW jackets; Test bought new size 44, Suburban size 44 bought used, Roadmaster bought used size 46. I typically will wear a 44. His 44s fit the 46 does not. I would like to try a 42. He does know his stuff. I've owned and sold a couple other LW jackets that were too big because they were 46 and I tried to make them work, they didn't.

Arnold

One of the Regulars
@les: of course I gave him my numbers, thought I explained that - sorry if my first message was so unclear. I just, b/c of most photos I see, don't fully trust his recommendation based on my numbers and my suit size, and thus would like, vice versa to know --his-- jkts' numbers. Again sry if I was so unclear... Hope the point gets across now. Thanks for all your replies but all I'm really looking for is either jacket measurements or photos of folks wearing the J23 with --their-- body measurements so I can decide based on numbers, not on gut feeling alone.

@tmitchell, what body/ torso type do you have?

Last edited:

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
I'm 5'9" presently 200 pounds. In this video I am wearing my Test size 44. In this videoe I was maybe 215. This is his ultimate 4+ ounce HH. He builds bigger than smaller.

[video=youtube;Yn5t0b4zlWM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn5t0b4zlWM[/video]

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Really wish Stu would consider a slightly lighter weight leather. I love his workmanship, but I can't hang with the particularly thick leather that he uses.

les_garten

One of the Regulars
Really wish Stu would consider a slightly lighter weight leather. I love his workmanship, but I can't hang with the particularly thick leather that he uses.

It's not just the weight, there's something else about his leather I've never seen. I've had Jackets as "heavy" as his that get broken in well and go supple over time. His never really do that. The J23 Custom that is posted somewhere around here that was mine, I am convinced it would always be a bear and I think the guy I sold it to felt the same and got rid of it. My A-2 is usable. My Goat G-1 is like a Glove, it's awesome. But LW HH has got this "Plastic" quality that I've never really seen before.

It is possible that he is right and that if you really wore them all day, everyday, Rain or Shine, they would form up and do great and go limp. Never seen one like that, and never seen photographic evidence that they do it. Even in this thread, the A-2 shown, you can see in the arms that it is that plasticy kinda body that his jackets have.

It's an acquired taste. And like I say, I Love my A-2 and G-1, just tryin' to be honest about what they are and what they aren't.

I've got an LW "A-1" model in that hide that I got from Worf. Its that hide. My son I got an LW a few years back, and it IS breaking in - I'll have to see if I can get pics when he comes by one day. I like this A-1 a lot. It's heavy and stout, and with the green knits, looks great. I bet if I wore the hell out of it, it would break, but being in SoCal, I don't get a lot of wear time.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
You can get his jackets in lighter weight leather than 4.0. My Roadmaster is probably 2.5, the Suburban 3.5, the others were in that range. I had a very cool denim style jacket with removable collar I think it was a 46. It was too big, but the leather was just too heavy and not right for that style of jacket. I have a custom cafe racer which is just too heavy for my taste again I think too heavy for that style.

If I ordered new I would talk with him about the leather weight.

each of these jackets has a slightly different look and feel to the hide. not what I would call plastic.

His jackets break down, maybe not like other makes, but they do.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Lost Worlds Suburban-probably 3.5 ounces.

DSC09624.JPG

DSC09643.JPG

DSC09643a.jpg

DSC09636a.jpg

Lost Worlds Roadmaster-probably 2.5

DSC09630.JPG

DSC09628.JPG

DSC09629.JPG

DSC09633.JPG

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Stu told me that he does not work with 2.5 oz leather.

I'm guessing on those numbers. I don't have leather calipers. I would say the Roadmaster is around the same weight as I would expect of his A2. Maybe the Test is 5 ounces, he never mentioned ounces in any conversation I had with him. I got the feeling it is about as heavy as he makes whatever ounces it is. I would guess he doesn't work below the weight of that Roadmaster.

I saw one of his custom jackets on the Japanese site. If I had anything else of his work it would be that jacket. I don't even recall the name. I would think it was an exclusive for some shop.

I don't know Stu. I never spoke with him on the phone, all my ordering/communication was through email. I also bought several of his vest. I don't know that I would like his Buco style MC jackets, I'm afraid they would be a bit too much at the heavy weight. He does what he does and does Ok.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Stu does beautiful work, no doubt about it, but I've never seen one that looked broken-in. I know this has been noted before, but I don't think I've ever really figured out why. Is it the leather itself, or is it whatever the leather is treated with?

les_garten

One of the Regulars
Stu does beautiful work, no doubt about it, but I've never seen one that looked broken-in. I know this has been noted before, but I don't think I've ever really figured out why. Is it the leather itself, or is it whatever the leather is treated with?

Hi leather feels like no other, talkin' about the horsehide. It has a Plastic-like feel to it for want of a better term. I have 75 leather jackets or so. Have had a bunch more come and gone. His stand out in the "body/hand" as unique in how they feel and wear. These are 3 generation Jackets. It will take 3 generations of real men to break them in.

Or possibly one homeless Generation... maybe...

It seems like the leather is somehow unique and the finish. However it falls, they are different, there is no disputing that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails