Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lost Worlds jackets.

strokes1251

Practically Family
Just got this Roadhouse today since its pretty much the B2 I have without the huge collar, alpacha, zippered sleeves and a different back (The guy who owned the B2 before me basically said the b2 was a one off custom made for a shop in Japan to their specs that never payed up) and I love it cant wait to get my Maxwell to compare them. I will agree that somethings the jackets from LW feel and look shiny but with decent wear the shine should go away. I wear my LW a2 pretty much every night and its breaking in awesome. oh btw this is the heavy HH not the light one I keep hearing about. Its pretty thick as well.
qphrg2.jpg

295v613.jpg

4q263d.jpg

Last edited:

les_garten

One of the Regulars
I had not been to his site in a while, he's added some stuff.

I will say that if I were spending 8 hours a day on a Motorcycle, which would break in the Jacket hopefully/eventually BTW, I think he would be at the top of my List. That Chips jacket looks like it would work very well. His jackets would hold up to that kind of use better than anybodies, and that's kinda what he tells you on his site.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I can honestly say that Aero's FQHH is beast enough for me. I had the odd experience a couple of weeks back of realising that I was coming down with a bug because my LHB began to hang on my shoulders as if somebody had slipped lead weights in my pockets. I can't help but feel that one of Stu's jackets would feel a bit like that. If I was a biker, though, it would be a different matter, as I can see the benefit of that extra heft, though I'd have thought Aero's FQHH would have been equally up to the job [huh].

Arnold

One of the Regulars
Regarding the break-in discussion, I've seen LW jackets in Asian auctions that looked -beautifully- broken in. The leathers did look quite thick, but still, maybe LW used different leathers for the Japanese market back when that was their main subject? Would seem to make sense from a size-to-thickness ratio (the shorter a sleeve, the harder the bend if mass is the same).

Arnold

One of the Regulars
I'm still looking... Can anyone comment with authority if a size 38 LW J23 would be tighter, looser or the same as the size 40 Schott model 125 in the photo below.

(Edit/ removed)

Last edited:
Size tags are useless. You'd have to get the numbers on the jackets to compare.
BTW, if someone quotes your image and you remove it, there will be no image here. Quotes just copy the link to the image and once it's gone, it's gone everywhere...unless someone downloads it and uploads it which I would not worry about.

Arnold

One of the Regulars
Well duh. :) Yeah, size tags are useless but no, Stuart won't give out the numbers on the J23. Which is exactly why I'm been trying to get at the desired info at an angle. I provided my own measurements and someone who happens to have a Schott and an LW would presumably know the numbers on those.
Off the top of my hat, pit to pit in the size 40 Schott 125 is about 54 cm tho myself I'm not an expert at measuring. Will check again later.

On another note, are there any opinions on having a J23 fitted after manufacturing? Certainly since it's textile it should be easier than in a heavy leather LW, but I guess there are other factors, such as the lining, the passenger pockets and possibly complex stitching methods used for the seams initially. If it's generally feasible that would speak in favour of buying size 40 from Stuart and having the waist tapered later, instead of buying a 38 that fits around the waist but is uncomfortable on the chest in a non-riding position.

Last edited:
What I'm saying is that even if someone has one, the tag vs numbers are not guaranteed to be the same on another jacket.
If you compare two Schott's, sure. But you're talking custom maker vs assembly line.
As for alterations, lots of people have had them done. Frankly, if I can't get some sort of idea on what the jacket will be after it's made, I go elsewhere. Or if the maker won't take my numbers and make a jacket of the same dimensions.

Arnold

One of the Regulars
Hmm... I never thought of LW as a custom maker, because even tho you can specify many of the small details (pocket angles, lining, leave off this and that, etc), Stuart said to me the basic shape is not changeable except for sleeve length and torso length. I mean, no customized degree of tapering like Aero or Langlitz do all or most of the time. If someone has had a different experience, by all means please let me know what I have to do in order to get that from him!

(Sure, I could go to another mfg for a leather jacket, but he does have some very nice textile options.)

Bern1

One of the Regulars
Yes, Stuart is his own man and he is very clear about how he does business. No problem there for me. I have bought 5 jackets from Stuart and the quality of material and workmanship is phenomenally good on all of them. He has always responded immediately and positively to any customer service question or issue I have had. These have ranged from sizing, choice of jackets, button and zipper repair, etc.

It's true he is reluctant to customize, but he will. I had the sleeves shortened on the Australian safari jacket. On me, LW sleeves tend to be long, sometimes good and sometimes not. Damn, it's not a perfect world!

As to the leather, these are the only HH jackets I have purchased, so I can't compare with others, however following are my observations of the ones I have bought, some of which I still have. I had an awesome A2 from him that just wasn't practical for me so I sold it along. It was the only one that squeaked by the way. I never noticed it until somebody else brought it up, then I heard it a lot! I wore that jacket a lot for a few years and it eventually broke in nicely but remained relatively stiff until I parted ways with it.

If it's the thick HH, they do feel stiff and "bulletproof" to start off and some of them stay that way!

The leather is pretty shiny when new but eventually dulls depending on how much the jacket gets worn and if it gets some rain. I've worn an Easy Rider on many motorcycle camping trips for over 15 years and it has most assuredly gone from shiny to dull. It got completely soaked through with rain last year, took a few days to dry out. Still a little stiff actually, but more supple where the leather gets "exercised." Feels perfect for what I do with it.

I have had a heavy Downtown for over 10 years that I hardly ever wear. It is still shiny and stiff, no surprise there. At least by now I can operate the buttons more easily, so it has softened up some! I use it mainly as my raincoat, but living in southern California it really hasn't gotten very much of that, so now that I'm living in northern California maybe this winter it will see more use.

Since I am completely crazy and I love the look of it, I also bought another Downtown, slightly different model (with faux belt and panels) in the lighter HH and different color. Again, hardly broken in but the buttons are much easier to operate out of the gate.

Unless it's for a motorcycle or really unforgiving weather conditions, the lighter HH in any LW jacket is easier to deal with in my opinion.

Cheers all,

Bernie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn