Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lost Worlds jackets.

Juanito

One of the Regulars
Not sure what it contributes, but I have owned four Lost Worlds A-2s. The first one I had (originally purchased in 1993) I traded for an original Cable in 1995, the second one I had/have, I bought in 1995 after regretting trading the first for the Cable. I still own the jacket and have worn it nearly every day for 20 years. I have also had a couple procured on eBay and resold due to fit issues on one, and that I didn't like stand collar on the other. In fact the stand collar jacket was listed here earlier this summer--a beautiful jacket my short neck could not deal with.

In any case, yes, Stuart is difficult to deal with at best. I actually stopped by his shop/storefront in Manhattan in 1998 or 1999; oddly it was full of Hawaiian and cowboy shirts, among other "fashion" items. I was a little surprised there were no jackets and he wasn't friendly in person either...

I have owned and currently own dozens of original and repro A-2s ranging from Avirex to Good Wear (as far a repros go), and I will tell you what--while Stuart's Dubow is lacking in a number of details (nylon zipper tape, pocket flap design that seem to change with the wind, epaulet design that is questionable, etc., etc.) nothing, bar none, will outlast that jacket. The leather is unbelievably tough, the finish is like iron, and the jacket is entirely waterproof. Other premium jackets that I own have shown more wear in 6 months that the LW jacket showed in 10 years. The jacket reminds me of the others I have from the 50s--very dense leather with a nearly impermeable finish.

I have literally taken that jacket around the world; slept in it, crashed motorcycles in it, worked on cars while laying on concrete, and worse. The liner is starting to come apart around the neck and in the arm pits, and it is showing external wear on the epaulets, elbow seams, and on the front wind flap from seal belts, parachute harnesses, and back packs, and the nickle zipper develops corrosion if not kept clean, but lesser jacket would have been shreds by now.

I have rarely worn in in the last year, having shifted to a couple of others since my wife commented on it's rather ratty appearance on it third set of worn out cuffs and worn out original waistband ("We go out on a date without the kids and you wear the rattiest jacket you own..."), but if I had to choose only one to actually own and wear as a utility item, the LW Dubow would be it.

...as a post script, after she makes the comment about it's ratty, derelict appearance, she comments on the smell of the leather that is just so "you" and the squeak of the leather it still makes after all these years; after all I have owned the jacket 20 years and have only known her for 17!

I don't care what anyone says, the A-2 is timeless!

Juanito

One of the Regulars
Not sure what it contributes, but I have owned four Lost Worlds A-2s. The first one I had (originally purchased in 1993) I traded for an original Cable in 1995, the second one I had/have, I bought in 1995 after regretting trading the first for the Cable. I still own the jacket and have worn it nearly every day for 20 years. I have also had a couple procured on eBay and resold due to fit issues on one, and that I didn't like stand collar on the other. In fact the stand collar jacket was listed here earlier this summer--a beautiful jacket my short neck could not deal with.

In any case, yes, Stuart is difficult to deal with at best. I actually stopped by his shop/storefront in Manhattan in 1998 or 1999; oddly it was full of Hawaiian and cowboy shirts, among other "fashion" items. I was a little surprised there were no jackets and he wasn't friendly in person either...

I have owned and currently own dozens of original and repro A-2s ranging from Avirex to Good Wear (as far a repros go), and I will tell you what--while Stuart's Dubow is lacking in a number of details (nylon zipper tape, pocket flap design that seem to change with the wind, epaulet design that is questionable, etc., etc.) nothing, bar none, will outlast that jacket. The leather is unbelievably tough, the finish is like iron, and the jacket is entirely waterproof. Other premium jackets that I own have shown more wear in 6 months that the LW jacket showed in 10 years. The jacket reminds me of the others I have from the 50s--very dense leather with a nearly impermeable finish.

I have literally taken that jacket around the world; slept in it, crashed motorcycles in it, worked on cars while laying on concrete, and worse. The liner is starting to come apart around the neck and in the arm pits, and it is showing external wear on the epaulets, elbow seams, and on the front wind flap from seal belts, parachute harnesses, and back packs, and the nickle zipper develops corrosion if not kept clean, but lesser jacket would have been shreds by now.

I have rarely worn in in the last year, having shifted to a couple of others since my wife commented on it's rather ratty appearance on it third set of worn out cuffs and worn out original waistband ("We go out on a date without the kids and you wear the rattiest jacket you own..."), but if I had to choose only one to actually own and wear as a utility item, the LW Dubow would be it.

...as a post script, after she makes the comment about it's ratty, derelict appearance, she comments on the smell of the leather that is just so "you" and the squeak of the leather it still makes after all these years; after all I have owned the jacket 20 years and have only known her for 17!

I don't care what anyone says, the A-2 is timeless!

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I think the new system is causing a few glitches, hence the double posts. Mind you, I don't think this is the final version as it looks exactly the same as the original v board one.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Again, just to be fair, I've got a LW G-1, size 50, with an extra inch on the sleeves and the body, and it is one of my favorite jackets. There was no fuss in getting it done (3 short e-mails and payment).
I know other people have other 'experiences' with Stu and LW, and I was apprehensive, but I had a stress-free experience. It is what it is.

les_garten

One of the Regulars
Again, just to be fair, I've got a LW G-1, size 50, with an extra inch on the sleeves and the body, and it is one of my favorite jackets. There was no fuss in getting it done (3 short e-mails and payment).
I know other people have other 'experiences' with Stu and LW, and I was apprehensive, but I had a stress-free experience. It is what it is.

Goatskin and Horsehide not the same.

It's his HH that is Uber strange. I would say his Goat is a bit different as well but in as Good way.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Goatskin and Horsehide not the same.

It's his HH that is Uber strange. I would say his Goat is a bit different as well but in as Good way.

I've never seen his horse, so I can't comment, but I just thought it was kind of weird that there are so many bad anecdotes about Stu, when my own experience was so good. Maybe my experience was the exception?[huh]

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I can't remember reading too many complaints about Stu's treatment of customers; usually they're about the attitudes he's expressed on his site. What I was wondering about yesterday is the actual treatment of the leather he uses, as it always seems to have a matte surface and rarely looks broken-in. Does this affect the comfort level of the jacket? I think it was HD who said that he'd had one and sold it on for this very reason. Also, I've always found it interesting that, as Juanito says above, the leather is like some jackets of the 1950's. I seem to remember having seen a few of those over the years.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I've never seen his horse, so I can't comment, but I just thought it was kind of weird that there are so many bad anecdotes about Stu, when my own experience was so good. Maybe my experience was the exception?[huh]

Maybe you're just all man, Big J...

What I did say, is that LW's HH is in a category of it's own. Otherwise, unique to their brand, it seems to me. I've had several LW jackets and many vintage jackets over the years, however, I don't remember ever noticing any older leather quite like it. The finish is very heavy (which I think adds to the squeaking affect) and often also includes unusual vertical stretch mark-like graining in some areas. Also, it's a leather that retains the new look much longer than most others as also often mentioned. It does break in as far as relaxing and finally becoming more comfortable, yet not prone to achieving a weathered or burnished appearance. You either like it, or you don't. I wanted to try several LW styles over the years to see if the leather consistently exhibited these properties. I don't want to seem like I'm knocking LW hides, but I simply concluded that I prefer HH tanned (or finished) in other ways.
HD

Last edited:
I would not want to have only the HH that LW uses, but to have one or two in the stable is a nice change from the rest. It will look newer, longer. If you want beat up looks, then HH and steer are likely your best bets for a shorter-term break in.
I know that of all my current jackets, only two would suffice for riding a motorcycle - the LW and the Aero FQHH HBD.

les_garten

One of the Regulars

It's the HH, the Goat is superb. The HH will never stop squeaking or feeling stiff IMO. If you've never had the HH, you won't understand what we're talking about. I like his stuff, but I try to be honest about what it is, and what it isn't. I would recommend a loaner jacket if you are buying the horse so you see what it's like first. It ain' everybody's cup of tea, and it ain't like any other leather you've handled before. It is difficult to describe, plasticky is used a lot, that offends the fanboyz for sure. I can't come up with a better term though.

les_garten

One of the Regulars
I can't remember reading too many complaints about Stu's treatment of customers; usually they're about the attitudes he's expressed on his site. What I was wondering about yesterday is the actual treatment of the leather he uses, as it always seems to have a matte surface and rarely looks broken-in. Does this affect the comfort level of the jacket? I think it was HD who said that he'd had one and sold it on for this very reason. Also, I've always found it interesting that, as Juanito says above, the leather is like some jackets of the 1950's. I seem to remember having seen a few of those over the years.

There's tons of threads about interesting conversations with Stu, you need to read more. Think Soup-Nazi. I'm sure he's a warm and personable guy for New York... :eeek:

Everyone I've had or seen is Shiny, don't know where you are seeing Matte, or you are using that different than I am. His leather feels like it has a Plastic coating on it. That's an exaggeration of course, but like I said, it's for want of a better term.

les_garten

One of the Regulars
What I did say, is that LW's HH is in a category of it's own. Otherwise, unique to their brand, it seems to me. I've had several LW jackets and many vintage jackets over the years, however, I don't remember ever noticing any older leather quite like it. The finish is very heavy (which I think adds to the squeaking affect) and often also includes unusual vertical stretch mark-like graining in some areas. Also, it's a leather that retains the new look much longer than most others as also often mentioned. It does break in as far as relaxing and finally becoming more comfortable, yet not prone to achieving a weathered or burnished appearance. You either like it, or you don't. I wanted to try several LW styles over the years to see if the leather consistently exhibited these properties. I don't want to seem like I'm knocking LW hides, but I simply concluded that I prefer HH tanned (or finished) in other ways.
HD

Indeed...

HoosierDaddy... I'm your Daddy!

I would not want to have only the HH that LW uses, but to have one or two in the stable is a nice change from the rest. It will look newer, longer. If you want beat up looks, then HH and steer are likely your best bets for a shorter-term break in.
I know that of all my current jackets, only two would suffice for riding a motorcycle - the LW and the Aero FQHH HBD.

You need to get a Langlitz for your Stable.

You need to get a Langlitz for your Stable.

Right now, I don't have a bike. It got too dangerous out here with the texters. I'll get one again at some point, and I've had Vansons before, but never a Langy. Some day...

BTW, my HH A-1 LW is matte finished for sure.

les_garten

One of the Regulars
Right now, I don't have a bike. It got too dangerous out here with the texters. I'll get one again at some point, and I've had Vansons before, but never a Langy. Some day...

BTW, my HH A-1 LW is matte finished for sure.

Looks mighty shiny here:

Attachments

• 5fff5f3d02ab17f6841a710308a12efa.jpg
    5fff5f3d02ab17f6841a710308a12efa.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 2,806
  • A-1-3.jpg
    A-1-3.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 2,632
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members