Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lost Worlds jackets.

DJS Press

One of the Regulars
Another soon-to-be very happy Aero customer. Good choice on the Highwayman, and the brown FQHH. You're going to love it. What kind of lining did you order?

After a short while, you'll have to try to decide what your next Aero will be, because odds are there will be at least one. Maybe more.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Keep this for LW please.

Please keep Aero and Barnstormers (or whatever it is) in the appropriate threads gents (just makes it easier in the future for 'all' of us when we do a search on a topic/interest ;) ).

Thanks for your help with this gents :)

Anders

One of the Regulars
Lost Worlds Ryder Reference

Hello all,

I just purchased a Ryder jacket from the Lost Worlds sale pages, and as I don't see many reference photos of their products around here I thought I'd show mine off. This is in a 3 oz. horsehide rather than their industrial strength, but it's still quite stiff and feels tougher than anything else I've worn.

erasemost044.jpg

IMG_1448.jpg

IMG_1445.jpg

IMG_1446.jpg

IMG_1454.jpg

IMG_1444.jpg

Unfortunately I made the purchase before I found some of the advice in this thread. I would have been rather reticent to do business with them had I researched it, but as far as the product goes I'm very pleased. Not to mention that the sale page is brimming with stuff for thin folks like me.

Anders

Nighthawk

One of the Regulars
Anders, the fit looks great. How tight are the armholes (i.e. does the jacket ride up when you raise your arms)?

NH

Anders

One of the Regulars
The armholes aren't perfect. There is definitely some riding up and restrictions to range of movement. I would say that with the jacket zipped, I can't really lift my arms higher than parallel to the ground without the collar getting way too high.

Anders

Anders said:
Hello all,

I just purchased a Ryder jacket from the Lost Worlds sale pages, and as I don't see many reference photos of their products around here I thought I'd show mine off. This is in a 3 oz. horsehide rather than their industrial strength, but it's still quite stiff and feels tougher than anything else I've worn.

erasemost044.jpg

IMG_1448.jpg

IMG_1445.jpg

IMG_1446.jpg

IMG_1454.jpg

IMG_1444.jpg

Unfortunately I made the purchase before I found some of the advice in this thread. I would have been rather reticent to do business with them had I researched it, but as far as the product goes I'm very pleased. Not to mention that the sale page is brimming with stuff for thin folks like me.

Anders

Hi...

I have an Aero A2 HH jacket and an Aero H halfbelt.
Further 1 Suburban HH (black) and 2 black Bedfords HH all from LW.

As for the Suburban and the Bedfords i agree that the leather is tough and hard to break in...
Like in the old days all these leather jackets and coats made for common ppl , factory and dock workers, so the material is tough, so they last longer..
I remember my granddad had an early 50's HH motorcycle coat...
When wearing this coat you feel like a knight in the middle ages...

Flight jackets were worn by pilots and crew so the material got more be more souple and easier to break in for free movement.

So for me personally i prefer a tougher LW HH for a Suburban and Ryder jacket..and a more thinner A2 flight jacket from Aero...
I'm sure that the GW/ELC/Mc Coys/The Few flight jacket are all of superb quality.
And so LWs..

Johan..

jamespibworth@n

One of the Regulars
I have a Lost Worlds Dubow A2.
I must say I like it very much. Sure it may be heavier skin than an original but the character of the leather is hard to beat.

Anders,

Your Ryder jacket looks impressive. I have had a look at the sales page and they have a 40, I am tempted, pity about the exchange rate!

James

icecold

One of the Regulars
Anders said:
The armholes aren't perfect. There is definitely some riding up and restrictions to range of movement. I would say that with the jacket zipped, I can't really lift my arms higher than parallel to the ground without the collar getting way too high.

Anders

Hey Anders, I sent you a PM with the same q, but I thought that others would benefit too if you provide some info on your sizing. The jacket you've bought is size 40 (that's the only one they have in brown), so if it is not too much trouble could you please provide us with some info on your own measurements, and general comments on fit? The fit on the pictures is superb. Thanks.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Flaming_Groovy said:
Like in the old days all these leather jackets and coats made for common ppl , factory and dock workers, so the material is tough, so they last longer..
[...]
Flight jackets were worn by pilots and crew so the material got more be more souple and easier to break in for free movement.
A point worth calling out. LW's real, core market is cyclists, so they make all their jackets from tough-ish hides.

Their A-2 and B-2, both of which I own, are meant more for riding than for flying or even driving. The cut of each seems optimized for sitting slightly forward, arms spread a bit. Sit back and hold a wheel instead of handlebars and you can feel the armholes crunch up and the waist scoot.

Anders

One of the Regulars
icecold said:
Hey Anders, I sent you a PM with the same q, but I thought that others would benefit too if you provide some info on your sizing. The jacket you've bought is size 40 (that's the only one they have in brown), so if it is not too much trouble could you please provide us with some info on your own measurements, and general comments on fit? The fit on the pictures is superb. Thanks.

Actually this one is a 34. I see what you mean about the wording on their sale page, when I read it I wasn't quite clear if they had more than just black available, but they said in an email that 36 and 34 were in stock. Would the measurements still be of use to you?

Anders

J

john z

Fletch said:
A point worth calling out. LW's real, core market is cyclists, so they make all their jackets from tough-ish hides.

Their A-2 and B-2, both of which I own, are meant more for riding than for flying or even driving. The cut of each seems optimized for sitting slightly forward, arms spread a bit. Sit back and hold a wheel instead of handlebars and you can feel the armholes crunch up and the waist scoot.
I second these observations being the owner of a LW J23 in 4oz HH. Feels like you're wearing something that would stop bullets, which I like.

Driving a car wearing it is not the most comfortable of experiences, especially with the zip closed. It is rather restrictive in the driving position & to the required movements.

BTW my experience of buying from Stuart was a good one. I had all my pre-purchase questions promptly & fully answered. Also mine was a slight variation to the LW std which I specified with no problem. OK, Stuart is not about making friends, which came across in his response style but nevertheless he was always courteous. That suited me fine as I wasn't after making a friend but buying, what is IMO, the best quality jacket you can get. The workmanship has to be seen to be believed.

Anders

One of the Regulars
icecold said:
if it is not too much trouble could you please provide us with some info on your own measurements, and general comments on fit?

My chest measures 34 1/2", and the size 34 is by no means tight in the torso. I have at least 2 inches of room in the jacket. I'm not sure how much extra space is typical for a non-restrictive fit, but I suspect that a 36" chest could fit without too much trouble. I wouldn't get much tighter than that though.

As for length, I'm 6' tall, and the jacket torso seems about correct, but the sleeves could use an extra inch or so. This is a combination of sleeve length and how the armholes cause the sleeves to ride up.

Hope that helps!

Anders

WhiskeyTangoFox

One of the Regulars
I had a good experience purchasing a Lost Worlds B-2 from Stu. I talked to him on the phone for probably 10 minutes and he addressed all of my questions/concerns before I ordered.

One issue that I had with their B-2 jacket was the belt. There are not enough holes in the belt for me to get a snug fit around my waist. So, I contacted him last month and asked if I could purchase a few grommets from him to add a few holes to the belt. He promptly sent them out to me at no charge.

That's pretty good customer service in my book.

Noel

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
While his website is out there, he was great when I purchased a Ryder off the sale page. I spoke to him on the phone and he carefully answered my questions. I'm not an A-2 expert and have no plans to become one, but I wouldn't think his heavyweight HH would make a very nice A-2. I always thought of the A-2 as a lightweight jacket, almost a "leather windbreaker" and my Bill Kelso A-2 is just that. Perhaps the Lost Worlds HH is a little too heavy for a nicely draped A-2? I will say that I like his Russett color quite a bit. It isn't that orange-y shade at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

thor

Call Me a Cab
I have owned all the big-name repro A-2 jackets (ELC, Lost Worlds, Aero, Goodwear, Real McCoys, etc, etc) and in my opinion they all have their pluses and minuses, their benefactors and detractors; they are, after all, reproductions! No two people can agree on everything. In my opinion, and having actually dealt with the sales personnel of all the aforementioned manufacturers of A-2 jackets, I can say that Stu at LW was as professional as anyone I have ever encountered. He is knowledgable, frank amd forthright.

A LW A-2 may not be everyone's cup of tea, but they certainly make a quality product! They do offer different weights of HH (from thinner 2.5 oz to their legendary, armor-like 4.0+ oz hide). You can discuss fit and finish and drape all you want with Stu before (if) you make a purchase. I have spoken with him on the phone several times for different purchases (sometimes for up to an hour, discussing details and fit and materials) as well as communication via e-mail; he has always been a consummate professional.

Not everyone likes the "bullet-proof" feel of a LW horsehide A-2; all I can say is that if I were climbing into the sharp steel confines of a B-17, I'd rather be wearing a Lost Worlds HH A-2 then ANY other manufacturer's jacket!

Last edited:

Arnold

One of the Regulars
Textile LW J23 measurements/ general thoughts on fit

Can anyone share measurements for Lost Worlds' textile --or-- horsehide J23 in sizes 38 and 40? Particularly sleeve length and actual chest/ pit to pit width? (Please be clear on which version you're referring to when stating numbers.)
Of course photos would be cool also, if you include your own measurements for context.

LW's sizing policy ("no measurements") has been discussed before, let's not go there, unless you have practical tips on how to deal with it. I just want to figure out which of the two sizes is better for me. I'm an athletic/ slender 5'9.3" with short torso/ long legs and short arms, 161 lbs, chest 39.4"/ 40.4" expanded, waist 32.3"/ 34.1" expanded - not the typical MC jacket customer shape.

If someone knows the measurements but wants to respect LW's secrecy, please get in touch via PM.
In Stuart's defense I should mention I gave him my measurements and he gave a recommendation, but I'd like a user opinion too, because:

in general, do LW customers feel he recommends sizes in line with the current trend of people aged 30+ wearing jackets a bit oversized (which I don't like on myself, especially in terms of sleeves extending past the wrist), or does he advocate a "vintage" tight fit?
I'd rather wear my (textile) J23 like Brando wore the Perfecto (*) than many of the guys I've seen photos of here. The only requirement is to be able to breathe freely with arms idling.
LW's usual "trim fit" phrase is nondescript to me in the context of the J23 photos on the LW website, because they don't look "trim" to me, plus my body type is different from those gents.

(*) One more important thing is that I realized that a MC jacket's fit, at least on a tapered torso, improves drastically once it's worn on the hip, instead of on the shoulders, i.e. by fastening the belt. The jacket then "sits" or "stands" instead of "hanging" and frees up the chest, which is usually either tight with arms idling, or flabby with arms extended, depending on whether I chose 38 or 40.
This may not apply to guys with a fuller waist (no idea!), so advice from guys with tapered build, or from folks with general jacket expertise, would be very welcome.

les_garten

One of the Regulars

Can anyone share measurements for Lost Worlds' textile --or-- horsehide J23 in sizes 38 and 40? Particularly sleeve length and actual chest/ pit to pit width? (Please be clear on which version you're referring to when stating numbers.)
Of course photos would be cool also, if you include your own measurements for context.

LW's sizing policy ("no measurements") has been discussed before, let's not go there, unless you have practical tips on how to deal with it. I just want to figure out which of the two sizes is better for me. I'm an athletic/ slender 5'9.3" with short torso/ long legs and short arms, 161 lbs, chest 39.4"/ 40.4" expanded, waist 32.3"/ 34.1" expanded - not the typical MC jacket customer shape.

If someone knows the measurements but wants to respect LW's secrecy, please get in touch via PM.
In Stuart's defense I should mention I gave him my measurements and he gave a recommendation, but I'd like a user opinion too, because:

in general, do LW customers feel he recommends sizes in line with the current trend of people aged 30+ wearing jackets a bit oversized (which I don't like on myself, especially in terms of sleeves extending past the wrist), or does he advocate a "vintage" tight fit?
I'd rather wear my (textile) J23 like Brando wore the Perfecto (*) than many of the guys I've seen photos of here. The only requirement is to be able to breathe freely with arms idling.
LW's usual "trim fit" phrase is nondescript to me in the context of the J23 photos on the LW website, because they don't look "trim" to me, plus my body type is different from those gents.

(*) One more important thing is that I realized that a MC jacket's fit, at least on a tapered torso, improves drastically once it's worn on the hip, instead of on the shoulders, i.e. by fastening the belt. The jacket then "sits" or "stands" instead of "hanging" and frees up the chest, which is usually either tight with arms idling, or flabby with arms extended, depending on whether I chose 38 or 40.
This may not apply to guys with a fuller waist (no idea!), so advice from guys with tapered build, or from folks with general jacket expertise, would be very welcome.

He knows his Jackets and how they will fit.

Just answer his questions, tell him what you'll wear under it.

If it doesn't fit, he'll alter it or make you a new one.

He'll also send you a Jacket to try on first, or at least he used to. I STRONGLY recommend you take advantage of this. You'll have to pay shipping both ways. You'll have the buy the Jacket of course until you send it back.

I've had 3 LW's. Kept the A-2 and G-1. The BUCO custom J23 was too much as far as stiffness was concerned(I think he calls me a Metrosexual or some such on his website).

I would get the loaner just to see if you like the Jacket Leather "Tone" if you will, as well as the fit. These are cut for motorcyclists, do you intend to use this to ride a bike?

My G-1 is Uber supple Goat. The A-2 has a lot of "Tone" but I like it a lot and once it warms up, it loosens up a bit. It will never wear out! It will never be what I would term limp and supple though.

The J23 would have never got there.

Hope this helps.

Arnold

One of the Regulars
Thanks much, first off. I'm having a few issues and/ or contradicting info, tho:

- He says altering jackets isn't their business. If he did alterations, I wouldn't worry in the least and just go with 40 and have him slim down the waist later if necessary.

- I'm getting the last bit of the sage cotton (not leather!), so an exchange is just not possible, and he says the drape is very different from leather, so I don't see much use in getting a leather try-on specimen.

- I did ask if I could have a "pattern" jacket (no pockets etc, made from a cheap textile fabric) but he advised against it since it would cost (if I recall correctly) $250, a third of the jacket price itself.

- Yeah, everybody says he's great at recommending the correct size, but I see most people wearing their LW jackets too loose for my own personal gauge, hence my asking a) for some hard and fast numbers and b) for people's feelings on my observation (i.e. in order to confirm it or invite constructive dispute).

P.S. - Is there anyone in the EU who would be willing to send me a "loaner" J23 in size 38 or 40? We could surely work something out and it would still be much, much cheaper for me than getting one from the US, so I'd be more willing to do it despite the leather/ textile difference.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails