Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LUFTWAFFE jackets - Eagles who Dare to Wear..!

John Warr

Familiar Face
Sheepskin luftwaffe jacket

I have a client's jacker in for restoration. i read this thread with some interest as it seems to be:

(1) an official military garment
(2) Very early.

It has a couple of labels on the waist:

Label 1 red on white
Gerat-Nr 321-40 A-1
Anforderz: Fl 37017-4
Werk-Nr. (blank)
Hersteller:0/0521/3541
Grose IIb 1940

label 2 gold on black

"LOUTRE" A.G.
SOFIA. Iw. WASOW.90

Any ideas about this jacket ?
Canvas waistband, white sheepskin inside, black ( or possibly brown) outside, black (or very dark brown) sheepskin collar.

If I can get the client's consent I will see if I can post pictures.

Zips are "Rapid", and if anyone can find a slider & puller for the front zip I will be eternally grateful. Picture of the (identical) cuff zip slider is here:

Odds%20&%20Sods.htm

SpeedRcrX

One Too Many
I just came back from London.

I went to American Classic at Covent Garden, they sell Eastman Leather Clothing.

They're really fine jackets. I wanted to buy a Luftwaffe for my father and I was leaning on the one from Noble House.

But when I saw the ELC and its quality I have to buy this one.

I had to wear it all day yesterday because it didn't fit in my luggage and I was surprise by how supple is the leather, everything is top notch!

My father love it and can't wait this winter to wear it!

A really fine jacket that I would recommend this minute to everyone!!! :eusa_clap

Metatron

One Too Many
Old thread, but whatever:
Here are a couple of 'Luftwaffe style' utility jackets worn in civilian context:

Original caption:10/30/1947: "More Jews try to enter Palestine." Photograph shows emigrants lined up to be searched and sent on to Cyprus, after an attempt to illegally enter Palestine. Photograph, Sept. 30, 1947.
Corbis-BE039138.jpg

http://www.corbisimages.com/stock-photo/rights-managed/BE039138/emigrants-lined-up-trying-to-enter-pale?popup=1

British actor Dirk Bogarde (R) and German director Rainer Werner Fassbinder on the set of Fassbinder's movie Despair.
Corbis-42-24678420.jpg

http://www.corbisimages.com/stock-photo/rights-managed/42-24678420/on-the-set-of-despair?popup=1

Edward

Bartender
Selling on ebay right now. Simply beautiful.....

IMG_3251_zps8709fe07.jpg

I love this style. I have an Aero Thirties Halfbelt which is close to what many of the Luftwaffe boys wore as PPs, but I've love one of these. Would look great in Aero's new kudu hide...

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Hello (I'm new here just so you know). I found this http://www.leathercult.com/leather-jackets/leather-jacket-884-50-colors it's not labeled a luftwaffe jacket but looks very similar. Any thoughts?

Looks pretty much like an exact copy of my Lewis Leather Dominator!

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?74729-Lewis-Leathers-Dominator-No-551

Personally the fact that it costs $130 and that they use "Pure Napa Sheep Skin Soft Leather" rings an alarm bell...
You get what you pay for, and i can't imagine getting much from them...
On the other hand for that kind of money you won't be missing much if it turns out crap and you might have a good surprise if it turns out ok.

if you have the money and approach it with low expectation it can be worth it.
Personally i would rather pay more for something i know will be well made and of good quality.

A bit of googling shows that these jackets are made in India, probably cheap leather etc...
Only real pictures i could find :

http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28676

looks like an average mall jacket

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Doesn't look too promising, tbh, but as Carlos said you get what you pay for. If you can stretch a bit, ELC and Pegasus both make very nice models, though they will set you something like seven leather cults! Nobel House will do you something that is a bit better for not much more: http://www.noble-house.eu/catalog/p...ducts_id/32?osCsid=0n412052e30rguu25vppas1ec4, though they've not had fantastic reviews on the Lounge.

Blitz190

New in Town
I've read their many reviews. The reason I brought leather cult up is mainly the very cheap price and of course the look. Although I'm not sure about them though. I can't really find many reviews (or even if the site is legit). I can't afford a Eastman jacket and I'd prefer something cheaper but not bad quality...

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I've read their many reviews. The reason I brought leather cult up is mainly the very cheap price and of course the look. Although I'm not sure about them though. I can't really find many reviews (or even if the site is legit). I can't afford a Eastman jacket and I'd prefer something cheaper but not bad quality...

Unfortunately with leather cheap and good quality rarely go together... It all comes down to expectation, most people are perfectly happy with a cheap highstreet fashion leather jacket that will last a couple year, most of these people have never seen a high quality leather jacket.
If that works for you, then go for it... If you have already handled a high quality leather jacket you will probably be disappointed.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Tbh, even from that pic, the quality doesn't seem to be there - and as they say buy cheap, buy twice. Noble House or perhaps eBay will do you more of a favour.

Peacoat

Bartender
Hello (I'm new here just so you know). I found this http://www.leathercult.com/leather-jackets/leather-jacket-884-50-colors it's not labeled a luftwaffe jacket but looks very similar. Any thoughts?

I went to the site and saw they are selling their sheep skin jackets as motorcycle jackets. For me, they lose all credibility with that marketing strategy. A motorcycle jacket needs to give at least some protection in case of a go down. Wearing lamb or sheep is like wearing a long sleeve T shirt if one has an involuntary dismount.

Locrian

New in Town
I just read this thread through (all 30 pages!) and there was no answer to a query made right at the outset: were the Luftwaffe jackets all or mostly in black? Did the powers that be say to the pilots: "sure, buy your own jacket, spend as much as you like --- just so long as it's black!"? Or were they relaxed even about the colour? Also what colours were the regulation shirt and tie? Or were they allowed even their own ties?

Last edited:

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Have had my ELC Luftwaffe / French cyclist jacket for a few years, quite an investment to start with but it still looks great & gets loads of wear..thus the cost to me was worth it. I tried cheaper versions prior to my ELC but moved them on because they didn't look or feel right to me.

IMG_0099.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24