Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lunch, Anybody?

Pretzels chased down by the first Russell Stover's Orange Marshmallow Pumpkin of the season (the official opening of the Halloween season in the Fading Fast household). I've been eating those since high school. I've notice the variations on the themes (dark chocolate, coconut, this and that) that have proliferated over the years - and some are kinda good - but nothing says Halloween has started than the completely fake bright orange color and flavor of Russell Stover's Halloween marshmallow.

I can guess, but what is a exactly is a "peach fried pie -" are just the peaches fried or is the entire shabingo-bango fried?

I can guess, but what is a exactly is a "peach fried pie -" are just the peaches fried or is the entire shabingo-bango fried?

Whole thing. In other parts of the country this might well be a turnover, a round piece of dough folded in half around a fruit filling, but being the south, and it's how we do things, the whole thing is fried. These were deep fried, because they came from the gas station, but the best ones are like Grandma used to make, pan fried. In lard. Not real healthy, but real good.

As for Halloween goodness, I've always been partial to the peanut butter taffy that comes wrapped in little pieces of black or orange waxed paper. Haven't picked any up yet, because I know it will all end up gone before the trick-or-treaters come 'round and I'll have to buy more.

Sadly, you can also tell it's approaching Halloween because walmart is putting out the Christmas decorations.
[emoji20]

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Whole thing. In other parts of the country this might well be a turnover, a round piece of dough folded in half around a fruit filling, but being the south, and it's how we do things, the whole thing is fried. These were deep fried, because they came from the gas station, but the best ones are like Grandma used to make, pan fried. In lard. Not real healthy, but real good.

As for Halloween goodness, I've always been partial to the peanut butter taffy that comes wrapped in little pieces of black or orange waxed paper. Haven't picked any up yet, because I know it will all end up gone before the trick-or-treaters come 'round and I'll have to buy more.

Sadly, you can also tell it's approaching Halloween because walmart is putting out the Christmas decorations.
[emoji20]

^^^^
yep...in lard otherwise it ain’t the real McCoy !

and there was a time that the Christmas activities started after Thanksgiving ! :eek:

off topic but....
Does anybody actually watch 24/7 marathon of " The Wizard of Oz”
"A Christmas Story” or “It’s a Wonderful Life” ? [huh]

Last edited:

[emoji20]

Not healthy, but man does that fried peach pie sound good.

Not familiar with the Halloween taffy

And we'll ring the bell as you have had the first sighting that I'm aware of, of Xmas marketing starting already (and it is so obnoxious).

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Yesterday I had Culver's featured Pepper Grinder Pub Burger.
Very good sandwich..!! Try it..!! (plus their rootbeer is great, too)
HD

That looks yummy ! Is the root-beer draft or bottled ? I’m not partial to aluminum canned drinks.
2q3x5s4.jpg

I'm not keen on canned drinks either (especially beer). Culver's rootbeer is a fountain drink. Very good. Not bitterish or fizzy as some others. Kind of a unique rootbeer flavor. Not as bitey as Barqs or as sweet as A&W. Would make for a great rootbeer float..!!
The Pepper Grinder is a big sandwich and the sauce they use on it is delicious.
HD

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Y'know, when you have a singular uninspiring lunch, it sort of throws off the rest of the afternoon. I had a slice of lemon-pepper pork loin with green beans on the side. The pork loin was dry, and the beans tasted bleh. I really wanted to go across the street and get a greasy hamburger, but alas, I'm back on my healthy eating plan after the holidays and only rarely eat out.

JimWagner

Practically Family
Y'know, when you have a singular uninspiring lunch, it sort of throws off the rest of the afternoon. I had a slice of lemon-pepper pork loin with green beans on the side. The pork loin was dry, and the beans tasted bleh. I really wanted to go across the street and get a greasy hamburger, but alas, I'm back on my healthy eating plan after the holidays and only rarely eat out.

Doesn't sound like it was a mentally healthy lunch :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy