Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

M-65 Field Jacket

mumpy

A-List Customer
I found an M-65 field jacket from 1993, but instead of a DA/DSA/DLA #, it has a DBA #. Otherwise everything else looks fairly legit, and it’s from one of the known contractors. Anyone have any idea what this means? I’m wondering if it’s maybe one made not for civilian use and not actual military? It also says “Made in USA” but I don’t recall ever seeing that on any other M-65s. Wondering if some of the small discrepancies are just because it’s from the 90s or, like I mentioned, maybe because it’s a civilian model. TIA
Not sure about the DBA part but military issue jackets don’t mention “Made in the USA”. It is a civilian jacket for sure.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Great thread, I learned a lot.

I love my (what I take to be) 1980s or 90s M-65. The nylon zippers work great, it’s a perfect fit, the liner is super easy to put in and take out, it’s incredibly warm, tons of pocket space… I could go on and on.

The only downside is it’s getting too hot for it now!

I wear mine a lot. Here’s one of my favorite photos in it from last year - my mother and me. She doesn’t mind the jacket at all (we are a military family for generations).

IMG_9322.jpeg

mumpy

A-List Customer
Great thread, I learned a lot.

I love my (what I take to be) 1980s or 90s M-65. The nylon zippers work great, it’s a perfect fit, the liner is super easy to put in and take out, it’s incredibly warm, tons of pocket space… I could go on and on.

The only downside is it’s getting too hot for it now!

I wear mine a lot. Here’s one of my favorite photos in it from last year - my mother and me. She doesn’t mind the jacket at all (we are a military family for generations).

View attachment 602251
They are great jackets! I have down sized significantly in these so I can wear them casually. The look is timeless.

I notice the main design elements of the M-65 field jacket everywhere I go. Almost everyone is wearing a variation of this jacket.

PeterRocco

A-List Customer
I'm considering getting one to keep warm this winter. Does anyone have one? What are the pros &cons of it? I know that it's not vintage nor is it vintage-styled but I need something that can keep me warm & not be too concerned if it gets dirty.

Thanx!!!
Charlie
Hi. I just bough this Jacket and Liner on Poshmark. Both for $65.00. Don’t know much about the companies. It looks like they’re not in business anymore, but both are made in the USA.
IMG_6959.png

Attachments

• IMG_6960.png
    IMG_6960.png
    5.7 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_6961.png
    IMG_6961.png
    6.5 MB · Views: 27

Flat-T

New in Town
That was my understand re: the made in USA. This is the actual tag. Thanks! View attachment 602263
Hi everyone,
that actually my first reply after years of reading.
Its a civillian jacket but manufactured by a well known company for M65s. Many are celebrating the Alphas but IMHO Golden ist the better OEM. There have been dozens of DSA/DLA 100- YY-C xxxx contractors over the years. Repros use fantasy number even Buck Rickson mimics an DSA-100-67-C number. Civilian Alphas carry a RN number only and of course a good hint is "Made in USA". I had plenty of of M65s over the last 40+ years, now I have only 1 left, DSA-100-67-C-0778 from Sunset Sportswear Seattle WA. Talon Silver Zippers, Rau Prov. RI Buttons.

PeterRocco

A-List Customer
Hi everyone,
that actually my first reply after years of reading.
Its a civillian jacket but manufactured by a well known company for M65s. Many are celebrating the Alphas but IMHO Golden ist the better OEM. There have been dozens of DSA/DLA 100- YY-C xxxx contractors over the years. Repros use fantasy number even Buck Rickson mimics an DSA-100-67-C number. Civilian Alphas carry a RN number only and of course a good hint is "Made in USA". I had plenty of of M65s over the last 40+ years, now I have only 1 left, DSA-100-67-C-0778 from Sunset Sportswear Seattle WA. Talon Silver Zippers, Rau Prov. RI Buttons.
Hi. Nice to see you back. So let me understand the Company who made my Jacket made nice reproduction of the M65. You really know your Field Jackets. Thank You for helping me.

Flat-T

New in Town
Hi. Nice to see you back. So let me understand the Company who made my Jacket made nice reproduction of the M65. You really know your Field Jackets. Thank You for helping me.
Hi Peter,
sorry if my statement was confusing. Golden was a OEM and supplied M65s in OG 107 to be issued in the early to mid 80s. Very nice quality, good stitching and well made. To my knowledge, they had no contracts for OG 107 later, the very last contract in OG 107 was awarded in 1991 to American Apparel. So my conclusion about your jacket, it is from a legit manufacturer, maybe they had surplus material or jackets from an old contract. I assume they used DBA 100 93 as a fantasy number to be close to the DSA/DLA contract system and gave them to surplus. So its a real jacket but never made its way to be GI.

PeterRocco

A-List Customer
No you did Great. You really know your M65.
I would not of bought my jacket if it was not made in USA. You Helped me so much and I
Learned a lot from you. Thank You.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner