Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

M.C. Gannon Hat Company

ConsiderMeMilesDavis

One of the Regulars
Who owns this beauty?

Gannon_Charcoal.jpg

My Gannon lids — three and counting — are all wide ribbons, because I have yet to find a hat by one of the large manufacturers that suits my fancy (the Stetson Racine comes close, but damn, that orange ribbon is hard to pair). I am, ironically, first and foremost a thin-ribbon guy — my day to day rotation is mostly Campdrafts, with the occasional Stratoliner (I prefer the weight of the CD to a Strat, for what it's worth).

This Gannon color combo makes me all warm and fuzzy inside, however. Charcoal beaver, but what color is the ribbon?

RJR

Who owns this beauty?

View attachment 86313

My Gannon lids — three and counting — are all wide ribbons, because I have yet to find a hat by one of the large manufacturers that suits my fancy (the Stetson Racine comes close, but damn, that orange ribbon is hard to pair). I am, ironically, first and foremost a thin-ribbon guy — my day to day rotation is mostly Campdrafts, with the occasional Stratoliner (I prefer the weight of the CD to a Strat, for what it's worth).

This Gannon color combo makes me all warm and fuzzy inside, however. Charcoal beaver, but what color is the ribbon?
The ribbon on my Racine was damaged so I replaced it. Hat-Stetson Racine-Copper 4.jpg

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Beautiful lid, @Short Balding Guy.
As the proud owner of several white-hued hats, I have to ask: how does this one compare to your collection of Silvermist (and I assume Silverbelly, too) lids?

The felt colors I have are obvious in their differences (color and characteristics). I have a couple of the colors duplicated between Gannon and Fawcett so that I have been able to see a bit of how the felt manufacturers input affects the final hat outcome. The felt colors are different, not necessarily superior.

Light Winchester beaver felt colors here:

l-r: Silver belly, bone and silver mist.
i-XssPTF6-L.jpg

I suspect your experience is similar to mine. The felt differences, the color differences make a difference to me in how I choose a custom hat to wear. If maleability was the characteristic to chase, silvermist is the hands down winner. If maleability with the ability to hold complex structural angles bone wins. A felt to wear with "most attire color combinations" the silverbelly wins at my house.

In color hues the bone tends to be a warm hued felt. Paired with attire to compliment the warm hued hat it rocks. Silverbelly and silvermist are cooler hues. I say this, but discalim that pairing warm attire with cool felt hat can work it takes some care.

Consider-miles, what is your experience? Yopur hat rack is equally as full and I am curious to your refelections. What is a current fav? What color felt are you looking to pick-up in a new hat from Gannon?

Best, Eric -

ConsiderMeMilesDavis

One of the Regulars
The felt colors I have are obvious in their differences (color and characteristics). I have a couple of the colors duplicated between Gannon and Fawcett so that I have been able to see a bit of how the felt manufacturers input affects the final hat outcome. The felt colors are different, not necessarily superior.

Light Winchester beaver felt colors here:

l-r: Silver belly, bone and silver mist.
i-XssPTF6-L.jpg

I suspect your experience is similar to mine. The felt differences, the color differences make a difference to me in how I choose a custom hat to wear. If maleability was the characteristic to chase, silvermist is the hands down winner. If maleability with the ability to hold complex structural angles bone wins. A felt to wear with "most attire color combinations" the silverbelly wins at my house.

In color hues the bone tends to be a warm hued felt. Paired with attire to compliment the warm hued hat it rocks. Silverbelly and silvermist are cooler hues. I say this, but discalim that pairing warm attire with cool felt hat can work it takes some care.

Consider-miles, what is your experience? Yopur hat rack is equally as full and I am curious to your refelections. What is a current fav? What color felt are you looking to pick-up in a new hat from Gannon?

Best, Eric -

Thanks @Short Balding Guy. That photos is worth a thousand words, even just for the color comparisons.

Silvermist was my first Gannon, and it remains my absolute favorite hat color. That being said, I've learned that I don't like thin, malleable hats — and my Silvermist is extremely thin. I know I'm the odd duck here: people seem to seek out the thin felts, but I'll take a dress weight Gannon or bomb-proof Campdraft any day instead. I simply like knowing that my hat's shape is right where I last left it, each and every time (a psychiatrist would eat me alive for that statement, I'm sure).

Enter my third Gannon commission in Silverbelly. Michael tried to persuade me in the Silverbelly direction on my first commission, but I persisted with 'Mist. I simply couldn't imaging a world where Silverbelly wasn't yellow'ish like what we see in Stetson's lineup. Michael was right (of course...I should have listened the first time), and my Gannon in Silverbelly gets nearly all of my head time during the transitional seasons (I'm currently in the midwest, so lets say four months out of the year). Late fall and winter I spend most of my time in a brown and taupe Campdraft, and occasionally in my (humble) collection of vintage Strats (brown, grey, olive, silverbelly).

All in all, I'm a fan of earth tones — wearing wide brim fedoras is already enough of a statement in the otherwise baseball hat and sweat pant wearing 21st century (who lets these people out of the house this way?), and off-white tones are the most flexible for me.

Gannon_Silvermist_Silverbelly_01.jpg

Silverbelly on the left, Silvermist on the right.

Last edited:

KarlCrow

One Too Many
Thanks @Short Balding Guy. That photos is worth a thousand words, even just for the color comparisons.

Silvermist was my first Gannon, and it remains my absolute favorite hat color. That being said, I've learned that I don't like thin, malleable hats — and my Silvermist is extremely thin. I know I'm the odd duck here: people seem to seek out the thin felts, but I'll take a dress weight Gannon or bomb-proof Campdraft any day instead. I simply like knowing that my hat's shape is right where I last left it, each and every time (a psychiatrist would eat me alive for that statement, I'm sure).

Enter my third Gannon commission in Silverbelly. Michael tried to persuade me in the Silverbelly direction on my first commission, but I persisted with 'Mist. I simply couldn't imaging a world where Silverbelly wasn't yellow'ish like what we see in Stetson's lineup. Michael was right (of course...I should have listened the first time), and my Gannon in Silverbelly gets nearly all of my head time during the transitional seasons (I'm currently in the midwest, so lets say four months out of the year). Late fall and winter I spend most of my time in a brown and taupe Campdraft, and occasionally in my (humble) collection of vintage Strats (brown, grey, olive, silverbelly).

All in all, I'm a fan of earth tones — wearing wide brim fedoras is already enough of a statement in the otherwise baseball hat and sweat pant wearing 21st century (who lets these people out of the house this way?), and off-white tones are the most flexible for me.

View attachment 86335

Silverbelly on the left, Silvermist on the right.
very nice looking

...I've learned that I don't like thin, malleable hats — and my Silvermist is extremely thin. I know I'm the odd duck here: people seem to seek out the thin felts, but I'll take a dress weight Gannon or bomb-proof Campdraft any day instead. I simply like knowing that my hat's shape is right where I last left it, each and every time (a psychiatrist would eat me alive for that statement, I'm sure)...
I know exactly what you mean. I currently have eight fur felt hats--six Akubras, a narrower-brimmed Winston fedora of undetermined age that's stiff as a board, and one custom (not made by Mr. Gannon, so I don't want to disrespect him by mentioning a competitor in his thread). As much as I like my custom it's far softer and more malleable than my Akubras, and despite the fact that it holds it's shape extremely well I'm always concerned the day will come when it won't. I know this is largely due to my relative inexperience with hats, but it is what it is.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Consider-Miles; I have been thinking of the different beaver felt hues this morning. Infinite number of reasons to select a different hued felt hat for wearing. I can think of many occasions when I broke matching schemas and when I checked my reflection I liked what I saw. Warm felts with cool clothes, warm hued clothes with a cool hat - you get the idea. When I match to carefully, the reflection in the mirror looks too forced.

How about a couple other color comparisons of Gannn beaver felts?

i-3VmPsRm-M.jpg

(l-r: Gray, Blue and Moss green)

i-LFT9MQZ-M.jpg

i-bdz3Nkx-M.jpg

Another group shot of different hues.

i-h2Ps7Kg-M.jpg

(L-r: Granite, Charcoal, Whiskey)

i-JhzhBQm-M.jpg

I hope this contributes to the conversation.

(I posted the below a while ago. 1st pic has l-r: Steel, whiskey and blue.)

i-sDDGgSJ-M.jpg

i-hvCvnct-L.jpg

Best this morning, Eric -

Last edited:

RJR

Consider-Miles; I have been thinking of the different beaver felt hues this morning. Infinite number of reasons to select a different hued felt hat for wearing. I can think of many occasions when I broke matching schemas and when I checked my reflection I liked what I saw. Warm felts with cool clothes, warm hued clothes with a cool hat - you get the idea. When I match to carefully, the reflection in the mirror looks too forced.

i-3VmPsRm-M.jpg

i-LFT9MQZ-M.jpg

i-bdz3Nkx-M.jpg

i-h2Ps7Kg-M.jpg

i-JhzhBQm-M.jpg

Super Assortment,Eric.

ConsiderMeMilesDavis

One of the Regulars

i-3VmPsRm-M.jpg

i-LFT9MQZ-M.jpg

i-bdz3Nkx-M.jpg

i-h2Ps7Kg-M.jpg

i-JhzhBQm-M.jpg

Now you're just showing off!

I'm particularly fond of the grey lid in the first image. What color is the felt and matching trim?

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Now you're just showing off! I'm particularly fond of the grey lid in the first image. What color is the felt and matching trim?

I hope your comment about showing off is in jest. I refrain from hat family pics for this reason. In off-line conversations, the past 2 years, I have been accused of showing off and as a result have deliberately changed what I post and what I say. Lots of opinions and many ways to live. I like me, my style and feel no need to change on account of others. I am am confident when I look back thru my posts that I have contributed.

The grey lid is a steel gray. The mid-ribbon has been my choice of ribbon dressing of late. The steel gray has a matching ribbon and binding. I thought it would provide a dressier look. The darker binding edge and ribbon treatments I have deliberately chosen those to be a step between city/country.

Eric -

ConsiderMeMilesDavis

One of the Regulars
I hope your comment about showing off is in jest. I refrain from hat family pics for this reason. In off-line conversations, the past 2 years, I have been accused of showing off and as a result have deliberately changed what I post and what I say. Lots of opinions and many ways to live. I like me, my style and feel no need to change on account of others. I am am confident when I look back thru my posts that I have contributed.

The grey lid is a steel gray. The mid-ribbon has been my choice of ribbon dressing of late. The steel gray has a matching ribbon and binding. I thought it would provide a dressier look. The darker binding edge and ribbon treatments I have deliberately chosen those to be a step between city/country.

Eric -

Comment was 100% in jest. We're all here to ogle hats (that makes ALL of us gluttons, doesn't it?), and you're hat collection is mighty. That just confirms you're at the right place.

Seriously considering a steel grey and matching trim Gannon with Campdraft specs for my next purchase. Also scheming something in charcoal. Thanks for the inspo.

KarlCrow

One Too Many

Eric -
seeing any one of your hats makes me weak at the knees, seeing more than one makes me pray.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Comment was 100% in jest. We're all here to ogle hats (that makes ALL of us gluttons, doesn't it?), and you're hat collection is mighty. That just confirms you're at the right place.Seriously considering a steel grey and matching trim Gannon with Campdraft specs for my next purchase. Also scheming something in charcoal. Thanks for the inspo.

Thanks sir. Grey is a gorgeous color and would add to your wide array of choices.

seeing any one of your hats makes me weak at the knees, seeing more than one makes me pray.
Thanks Karl.

Magnificent collection Eric @Short Balding Guy , just amazing !
Thanks Michael.

i-3VmPsRm-M.jpg

i-LFT9MQZ-M.jpg

i-bdz3Nkx-M.jpg

i-h2Ps7Kg-M.jpg

i-JhzhBQm-M.jpg

(I posted the below a while ago. 1st pic has l-r: Steel, whiskey and blue.)

i-sDDGgSJ-M.jpg

i-hvCvnct-L.jpg

These color comparisons are ultra valuable for folks trying to decide on a new Gannon Felt. I'm leaning toward the charcoal for my next Gannon. The ribbon contrasts are also of great use. You are providing a yeoman service to us all. I appreciate you Eric.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
These color comparisons are ultra valuable for folks trying to decide on a new Gannon Felt. I'm leaning toward the charcoal for my next Gannon. The ribbon contrasts are also of great use. You are providing a yeoman service to us all. I appreciate you Eric.

Thanks sir. Pleased to be able to assist. Charcoal - excellent. I read that some do not like charcoal hats. Charcoal can appear to be black and black hats on occasion get a bad rap. Evil characters or bad cowboys are not the only folks who wear black hats, IMO. Charcoal with fray ribbon treatment is a fav of mine.

IMG_3179-M.jpg

Or maybe a mid-ribbon w/a hint of blue?

IMG_0149-M.jpg

IMO, you need a couple of charcoal. ;) Good luck. Eric -

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy