Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

M.C. Gannon Hat Company

Richard Morgan

One Too Many
I got an email from Michael today. He is about ready to start my hat. I've been thinking about this for a couple of months and this thread has been incredibly helpful. Rudolfo has shared pictures of several of his hats and the posts here from Eric and Moon are always enlightening. Enlightening, but at the same time infuriating because all your amazing hats make it really hard to decide! I'm about 90% on my way to ordering an OR like hat in Camel with charbrown ribbon and edge binding like the Ambrose on his site. I haven't seen a single camel hat on this thread. Has anyone bought one? Happy with it?
thanks

I got an email from Michael today. He is about ready to start my hat. I've been thinking about this for a couple of months and this thread has been incredibly helpful. Rudolfo has shared pictures of several of his hats and the posts here from Eric and Moon are always enlightening. Enlightening, but at the same time infuriating because all your amazing hats make it really hard to decide! I'm about 90% on my way to ordering an OR like hat in Camel with charbrown ribbon and edge binding like the Ambrose on his site. I haven't seen a single camel hat on this thread. Has anyone bought one? Happy with it?
thanks
I saw a Winchester camel felt on my visit to Art at VS. It is a colour we don't see much if at all here on the Lounge but in person it is a great colour. Presently thinking it might be time to add one. The one Art has a dark brown ribbon and it looks great.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I saw a Winchester camel felt on my visit to Art at VS. It is a colour we don't see much if at all here on the Lounge but in person it is a great colour. Presently thinking it might be time to add one. The one Art has a dark brown ribbon and it looks great.
I've never seen the color aside from a swatch sample

I too am curious to see a hat in this color

looks very nice

Richard Morgan

One Too Many
I saw a nice camel fedora at NW Hats... Mike said his daughter, 11 years old, helped him with it. raw brim as I recall with a brown ribbon/bow treatment. It was really sharp, about the same color as a camel hair over coat or sports jacket.

I'll bet that camel OR clone will look fantastic once Michael puts it all together for you @Richard Morgan

Thanks Doug, I’ve asked Michael to go ahead with it. Everyone’s input has been great. Thanks all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
Guys, I had a dark moss hat all figured out with Michael and then the remaining hat body had serious problems. Michael ordered more dark moss beaver felt, but in the meantime Eric and Jim both had excellent hats made in the natural beaver felt.

I spoke with Michael and he said he had one natural left and that it was a more versatile color than the dark moss... which I agree with, but since selling the Penman dark moss (as it was too small for me... a 2nd hand purchase; not custom) there has been that void in my stable.

After weighing this and that and the other I decided to go ahead with the natural and save the dark moss for next year. Michael sent pictures, and is now sending me felt and ribbon samples. What do you think of this natural felt with this very old vintage ribbon that is a dark reddish brown???

I'm still talking with Michael about color for brim binding... I was thinking light gold/champagne/chardonnay.... for contrast. Michael suggested sand rather than the champagne he has. Any other ideas? The ribbon in this pic is an almost match to the felt.

i-QfV9k5t.jpg

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
What I'm going on is the deal with Stetsons, (others?) in the mid-late 40s-50s where both the crown ribbon and the brim binding contrast with the felt, and between the ribbons as well.

I have a taupe 50's Stetson that is kind of like this. IIRC, @RJR has a Racine that is set up like this.... something Mr. Decker did while at Stetson???

Anyway, my Royal Stetson has a brownish-burgundy ribbon and a faded gold brim binding...

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
What I'm going on is the deal with Stetsons, (others?) in the mid-late 40s-50s where both the crown ribbon and the brim binding contrast with the felt, and between the ribbons as well.

I have a taupe 50's Stetson that is kind of like this. IIRC, @RJR has a Racine that is set up like this.... something Mr. Decker did while at Stetson???

Anyway, my Royal Stetson has a brownish-burgundy ribbon and a faded gold brim binding...

Just sayin... I don't care for a brim binding that contrasts with both the ribbon and the felt.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Guys, I had a dark moss hat all figured out with Michael and then the remaining hat body had serious problems. Michael ordered more dark moss beaver felt, but in the meantime Eric and Jim both had excellent hats made in the natural beaver felt.

I spoke with Michael and he said he had one natural left and that it was a more versatile color than the dark moss... which I agree with, but since selling the Penman dark moss (as it was too small for me... a 2nd hand purchase; not custom) there has been that void in my stable.

After weighing this and that and the other I decided to go ahead with the natural and save the dark moss for next year. Michael sent pictures, and is now sending me felt and ribbon samples. What do you think of this natural felt with this very old vintage ribbon that is a dark reddish brown???

I'm still talking with Michael about color for brim binding... I was thinking light gold/champagne/chardonnay.... for contrast. Michael suggested sand rather than the champagne he has. Any other ideas? The ribbon in this pic is an almost match to the felt.

i-QfV9k5t.jpg

What do you think about the ribbon? The ribbon will pair well with the natural felt as the natural felt has a warm hue to my eye and the ribbon does also. A match.

What about the binding? For me the natural felt can shine when the ribbon and binding match or perhaps with the above ribbon and simple bound (matching thread) or bare edge. If the focus is the ribbon then so be it. If the intent is to focus on the colors and then details when sand and colored ribbon.

For info my big consideration in my recent gill ribboned natural felt was the sand bound edge. I was worried it might pull "to much" attention from the sand ribbon or natural felt hues. "To much" might also make it difficult to pair attire was a consideration. I vacillated with the choice and gently let Michael make the decision. In hand he relayed the sand would work - it did.

I am anxious to see how you and Michael work this out. Best wishes sir, Eric -

Last edited:
I hope your comment about showing off is in jest. I refrain from hat family pics for this reason. In off-line conversations, the past 2 years, I have been accused of showing off and as a result have deliberately changed what I post and what I say. Lots of opinions and many ways to live. I like me, my style and feel no need to change on account of others. I am am confident when I look back thru my posts that I have contributed.

The grey lid is a steel gray. The mid-ribbon has been my choice of ribbon dressing of late. The steel gray has a matching ribbon and binding. I thought it would provide a dressier look. The darker binding edge and ribbon treatments I have deliberately chosen those to be a step between city/country.

Eric -

I'll confess to no small amount of envy, but in my short experience you are always helpful and humble. The comparisons in particular are invaluable. Seeing them all together at the same time, in the same light, etc. is a huge service to us. I'm planning my first Gannon and your postings are my reference materials. Please keep it up and don't let some small minority influence you.

You have also always been kind and supportive of everyone else. I could post a photo of a moth-eaten wool felt fedora with no shape left and you would find something nice to say. A consummate gentleman. Thank you for your posts.

Richard Morgan

One Too Many

i-QfV9k5t.jpg

I really like the red ribbon but agree with Bob that with that ribbon you need to get at least close to matching the felt with the brim binding. That will be a cool hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner