Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

M.C. Gannon Hat Company

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
My last Gannon took 3 months from initial email to hat-in-hand. That time included about 50 emails, a broken sewing machine, a flawed Winchester felt, me changing my mind from dark moss to natural beaver felt, mailing time to send me samples of felt and ribbon colors.... and about 2 days for shipping. Well worth the wait, IMO.

No telling how much the broken leg will impact Michael's time line. I just hope he's ok.

My last Gannon took 3 months from initial email to hat-in-hand. That time included about 50 emails, a broken sewing machine, a flawed Winchester felt, me changing my mind from dark moss to natural beaver felt, mailing time to send me samples of felt and ribbon colors.... and about 2 days for shipping. Well worth the wait, IMO.

No telling how much the broken leg will impact Michael's time line. I just hope he's ok.

I don't know how old he is but I can say from personal experience that bones take longer to heal when your a middle aged man. I'm not sure if I should wait for him to recover or place an order now. I'd hate to add stress as he's healing, but I'd also want to support him with my business. I think I'll start the process and assure him that I'm not in a hurry and I have no expectations for a quick delivery time. To be honest, your delivery time of three months was faster than I was expecting from a heathy hat maker in such demand.

What do you think about Gannon's rabbit felt hats? I'm torn between getting fewer nicer (beaver) hats or more cheaper (rabbit) hats.
I am probably in the minority on this one......I too have asked myself this question. I have mostly beaver customs but do have 4-5 in rabbit. A lot depends on the felt maker. I love my Tonak and Fepsa rabbits and if more US hatters offered them would buy them over the Winchester beaver felts. I do have three Winchester rabbit felts from Mike at NW and one from Alley Kat and I think they are great hats. I am enticed by M Gannon's price points because his rabbit were ,last time I checked , $100 lower than the beaver. Just considering ordering a rabbit from Gannon once he gets back on his feet. I know beaver should stand up better to the elements but I am pretty easy on my good hats, Using my Akkubras for the rain and crappy weather. Side by side it is hard to discern a major diff between rabbit and beaver in the Winchester. Whether that differential is worth the diff in $$ is a personal choice.

I am probably in the minority on this one......I too have asked myself this question. I have mostly beaver customs but do have 4-5 in rabbit. A lot depends on the felt maker. I love my Tonak and Fepsa rabbits and if more US hatters offered them would buy them over the Winchester beaver felts. I do have three Winchester rabbit felts from Mike at NW and one from Alley Kat and I think they are great hats. I am enticed by M Gannon's price points because his rabbit were ,last time I checked , $100 lower than the beaver. Just considering ordering a rabbit from Gannon once he gets back on his feet. I know beaver should stand up better to the elements but I am pretty easy on my good hats, Using my Akkubras for the rain and crappy weather. Side by side it is hard to discern a major diff between rabbit and beaver in the Winchester. Whether that differential is worth the diff in $$ is a personal choice.

Thanks for the quick response. I live in a California so the weather is easy on my hats (that's about all the good I can say about California).

I'm "in line" with Gannon, but the I'm still not completely sure what I'm gonna no to get. I'm sure when I get closer to the front Michael will help with the decisions. I'm leaning towards getting both and seeing for myself. If only my Powerball numbers come through! :).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the quick response. I live in a California so the weather is easy on my hats (that's about all the good I can say about California).

I'm "in line" with Gannon, but the I'm still not completely sure what I'm gonna no to get. I'm sure when I get closer to the front Michael will help with the decisions. I'm leaning towards getting both and seeing for myself. If only my Powerball numbers come through! :).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't speak first-hand, as I don't own any Winchester rabbit felts, but consensus is that Winchester beavers are very good, but the bunny...not so much. It seems that FEPSA and Tonak are better bunny sources.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21