Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

M.C. Gannon Hat Company

Is everyone ordering Beaver hair instead of Bunny?

I don't know a lot about the differences, but figure that Beaver is a lot better than Bunny. Any input?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On the Winchester bodies, the beaver is way better than the hare. I do not care for the rabbit Winchester bodies. IMO the FEPSA rabbit bodies are much better, hands down.

Cap_7597

A-List Customer
On the Winchester bodies, the beaver is way better than the hare. I do not care for the rabbit Winchester bodies. IMO the FEPSA rabbit bodies are much better, hands down.

I've seen the difference in pics comparing the two. But I thought that was comparing the NW Hats and Winchester, TN hats. The NW hats, or FEPSA, is a lot better looking. Which does Gannon use?

Mm25

One Too Many
Thanks Anthony , I'll do a Head shot when this one comes . Looking down for everyones' benefit .

Michael,
Did I miss the pics or do you still owe us TWO Gannon headshots? Saw your hats on Gannon's Instagram page today and couldn't remember seeing them on you. I believe you had a 3 inch brim on one that I would like to see.

I've seen the difference in pics comparing the two. But I thought that was comparing the NW Hats and Winchester, TN hats. The NW hats, or FEPSA, is a lot better looking. Which does Gannon use?

My understanding is that it is hard for a small custom hatter to use FEPSA felts as the quantities they demand per order are prohibitive for most custom hatters. Winchester fills that need accepting small orders. So most, if not all, custom hatters I have dealt with use Winchester (except Esther Weiss who uses Tonak hare). Mike at NW Hats has a few FEPSA felts in a mid brown.
I have both Winchester rabbit and beaver felts from Mike. I like the one he did in rabbit. It is a nice felt, a little softer than the beaver. There is a $50 diff between the two with Mike. It is interesting the great difference in price points with the custom hatters when they ALL appear to source their felts from Winchester. Are there custom hatters out there using anything other than Winchester?

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Michael,
Did I miss the pics or do you still owe us TWO Gannon headshots? Saw your hats on Gannon's Instagram page today and couldn't remember seeing them on you. I believe you had a 3 inch brim on one that I would like to see.

I got it creased , not sure I'm totally happy with my choice of crease , but ... (you know I hate pictures of me , love seeing everybody else) I have been wearing my westerns (old habits die hard) , I'll try to get a couple of shots up later , but I may still re-work the crease some . Thanks for remembering Joe . I was hiding . No super model like everybody else Looking So Great in theirs . (Actually I do need to , so I can see what it looks like myself) ... I did learn something though , if your head is LO and you want a flat Brim , order a bit larger or the LO Brim curl will happen , it fits great though . Love the Style ! ... I still have another I need to let Michael know the color and if I want to go Big on the Brim , he said he thinks he can get a 3 1/2" Brim (maybe more) on a Dress Felt Hat Body , if Winchester works it special . I'm really leaning toward Sahara , but MAN ! I love that Natural in Beaver that the last one is ! (Natural is underused and underrated !)... we were talking about the My Darling Clementine Hat of Fonda's from the Movie . He's willing to Go For It ! Out of his normal wheel house , but as Harv said , ask , he might enjoy trying something new . So I did .

Mm25

One Too Many
I started out thinking I would go with a 3 inch brim on my next, but I was worried it might end up floppy, backed it down to 2 5/8. Now I wonder, what if I had ended up at 2 3/4, then I remember most people won't know the difference anyway...heck from across room I probably couldn't tell.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
I started out thinking I would go with a 3 inch brim on my next, but I was worried it might end up floppy, backed it down to 2 5/8. Now I wonder, what if I had ended up at 2 3/4, then I remember most people won't know the difference anyway...heck from across room I probably couldn't tell.

3" Brims aren't Floppy , mine were flat , and pencil curled , No Flop at all . ... I was wondering that about going bigger , but if they get Floppy a little stiffener ought to fix it . Even the old Hair Spray Trick .

makitright

One of the Regulars

My 3" brim is definitely not floppy and in no danger of ever being floppy. I go from up to snap brim all the time when wearing it. My thinking was a 6" crown needed a more substantial brim and it was the right choice for me.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
My 3" brim is definitely not floppy and in no danger of ever being floppy. I go from up to snap brim all the time when wearing it. My thinking was a 6" crown needed a more substantial brim and it was the right choice for me.

Yeah , I like a 6" Open Crown , they give you all the options in creases , unlimited . Except maybe the Horseshoe might need more , or the Cow track . Below a 6" the cattleman gets too low , a few more for me . But I really like a 5" Crease , maybe 4 3/4" on the low side . I'm looking at a 4 1/2"+ Crease in the Brick , but still thinking about it , Its a Resistol La Grange Bangora , taller than most Bangora Straws . ... all the hats says 4 1/8" Crease , but I know they're not , I sent an email asking why they all say that ? No response , of course . ... I digress , sorry .

Back to Gannon Hat Company ...

icm_fullxfull.92252606_q5t9dqp81sg84swoo4o0.jpg

icm_fullxfull.94991235_qundka859qss0c4okgc4.jpg icm_fullxfull.95156253_izbgxah0cpsk4ws4swks.jpg
The Natural with the Frayed Ribbon has a 3" Brim curled to a 2 7/8"
The Pecan TAR is a 3" Brim curled to 2 7/8" - The Gannon Tres Hombres La Grange
The Silver Belly TAR is 2 7/8" curled to 2 3/4" - The Gannon La Grange "Going to Mexico"
All 100% Beaver ... and Sweet Hats ! I goofed on the size of my first two , but I love that Style ! (Michael's dry creased shots)

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
I took some pictures , but like I said , I need to tweak the Crease , might even change it (never know) ... The Fray Natural ...

FullSizeRender-21.jpg IMG_1403.JPG FullSizeRender-13.jpg

Haha , I look like I'm getting sick trying to show the Bow , and Crease , but I don't know how to take pictures . It would look different in natural light , I'm sure . Looks tiny on me , too . Notice the roll , its flat , just my LO head causes that , but it looks Okay even with it . I guess I should have taken a couple off the noggin , too , but I didn't . Sorry .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran