Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MA-1 Flight jacket

kowalski

Practically Family
Hi All
the jacket L- 2 is already in my house;(scroll down)

http://allegro.pl/show_item.php?item=4770489955

I will say that I am very satisfied with the quality.Nylon is thick and sturdy, lining solid The jacket itself is thin (it jacket light zone ) Jacket is very well finished with attention to detail.Sleeve cuffs and jacket well hold.To my delight I found in a side pocket inspector tag I thought they 3day workware skip this detail.Bravo Workware.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Hi all
I bought her for yourself I paid only 25$ usd :cool: with the amount of 220$ usd + ship + tax

Assume this was from their own site, not eBay? I remember this being a problem on eBay - people charging virtually nothing for an item, then really gouging for shipping. eBay didn't like it because they obviously saw it as a dodge to avoid paying so much of a final fee to them. My worry was that if the item turned out not to be up to scratch, the seller would only be required to fund the tiny amount you'd nominally paid for the product rather than shipping... Jacket looks nice in photos, though.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks for the great pics Kowalski :-D

You make some very good e-bay points there Edward...I've not pulled the trigger on any of those deals.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Captain_Merrill_Ray_Lewis_Jr_KIA_20_July_1966.jpg

Blackadder

Just took delivery of a deadstock MASH Japan repro MA-1. Some might be familiar with the company as it sells NOS parts like talon zippers and knits. They do the occasion small reproduction run on military clothings. This MA-1 repro was sold out some time ago. It came with NOS Coats and Clark Crown zippers.

Edward

Bartender
Silverman's in East London had an own brand "lightweight MA1" in when I was through on Friday. Seemed pretty nice, good pattern... obviously an L2B... darker than I thought accurate entirely, and not sure about the zip, but otherwise very nice. To my inexpert eye, a nice 70s vibe.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
OK. I've no idea where best to put this post. But this is a Cold War era USAF jacket, so I'll stick it in with the MA-1s.

I just scored this jacket for the opening bid. Often mistaken for an M-65, its actually an early USAF field jacket. First introduced in the 'fifties, it predates the M-65 by at least a decade. And with its button up front, its arguably more kin to the WWII M-43 or Korean Conflict M-50 than the Vietnam era M-65. While I've never much liked these jackets with their clown collars, I needed one for my collection...and they're a bit difficult to find in size XL regular. I'll probably never live long enough to find its liner in size XL.

airforcefieldjac_zps4a1b4909.jpg

AF

Last edited:

Biggles88a

New in Town
Here's an interesting modern photo showing a mix of jackets worn by reserve USCG.

Indeed that is an interesting picture, I just finished adjusting my knowledge regarding the United States Coast Guard Auxiliary via Wikipedia. Apparently members buy their uniforms from various sources, even civilian outfitters. I have found the following pdf which describes the uniform regulations of the AUX (http://www.uscg.mil/hr/udc/docs/auxiliary_uniform_regulations.pdf). No flight jackets are mentioned, but the use of the Nomex flight suit is regulated. I would figure that any additional flight gear item is at the discretion of the Commanding Officer, so MA-1s seem acceptable. The only argument against wearing a nylon flight jacket (I personally have never come across any fire retardent treated L-2Bs or MA-1) can maybe be found on page 10-3 under article A.3 of the regulations.
Pilots, Air Observers, and Aircrew
Pilots, air observers, and aircrew on ordered missions in aircraft facilities shall wear
appropriate Auxiliary uniforms, a Coast Guard Flight suit or approved anti-exposure
coveralls. The uniform selection is the Aircraft Commander pilot’s choice and
should be the same for other air crew members. Non-polyester uniforms should be
worn whenever possible. Garrison caps are authorized to be worn with Flight suits
and are preferred on the flight line over a ball cap as they can be folded into a
pocket. Appropriate patches and name tags should be worn on the dark blue
civilian-type Jump suit. (see paragraph H.5 of this chapter).

Basically, I would think the Auxiliarist can wear any flight jacket he or she wants within reason of uniformity. The group in the picture is on a visit, apparently not in flight duties, so no harm done. I personally would not want to wear any nylon or polyester anywhere close where fuel meets flame but that's just me. The US Army has many studies concerning fire, the improper use of approved flight gear, the use of non-approved (but cool) flight gear and the resulting consequences of fabrics melting into skin or enhancing heat transfer to the human body. How the nylon series B-15, L-2 or MA-1 ever made it into aircraft I have yet to understand. If non bulky warmth was the primary reason I would suspect that in case of fire these jackets would keep one a lot warmer than ever desired. If anybody has any studies by Armed Forces regarding the testing of the nylon series (also Navy WEP jackets) as a fire hazard it would be great if those could be made accessible. Thanks in advance!

Biggles88a

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
I can only Make speculations why Nylon, At the time when it first came into use as new wonder material, It was lighter and more durable and it was available and possibly cheaper than Leather.

Otherwise Leather was the ideal Candidate for Flame retardant material.

I did always think The Nylon will Literally cook to your flesh in seconds.

I have one Jacket made if Fire Resistant material, It Sorta Resembles an MA-1 Its the same one down in front the guy is wearing...I will post some pics, Good Jacket..sorry I dont know more specifics about the use of Nylon and its history in the air force.

Last edited:

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I can only Make speculations why Nylon, At the time when it first came into use as new wonder material, It was lighter and more durable and it was available and possibly cheaper than Leather.

Just some random thoughts...

With respect to intermediate weight jackets, nylon technically didn't replace leather. The B-10 replaced the A-2 and it was made from cotton twill and alpaca. I'm guessing (without being sure) that these materials were at least marginally more fire resistant than nylon.

I have always believed that the A-2 was discontinued..not because it was expensive...but because it really wasn't a very functional flight jacket...even by 1942 standards. One thing's for sure. My father never liked his. He said it was cold and stiff and sweaty and he had to wear a wool sweater under it to stay warm. He much preferred the "green, cloth jacket", as he called it.

As to nylon...what amazes me is that it remained the primary material used in flight gear for so long. For thirty-something years, from the introduction of the B-15 until nomex was introduced in the middle seventies, nylon reigned supreme. Even early on, evidence must have existed that nylon clothing and cockpit fires were a deadly combination.

AF

Last edited:

bn1966

Those pictures are coming very soon Dumpster & I am also needing you to put together a 'Red' cap for me :-D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy