Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Magnoli's suits.

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Personally I think wearing a super 180s cloth which costs $640 a yard is just foolish. Super 180s is going to be very soft but also very thin and not very hard-wearing or durable. I just don't see the point.

I really want to have a cream-colored flannel suit made bespoke (to wear at graduation from law school) and this material looks suitable.

http://www.hst.com.sg/acatalog/3101.html

I think the best use of the tailoring budget is for the skill of the tailor rather than expensive luxury materials. A suit with a poor cut made of super-luxury cloth will look terrible whereas a suit made of average cloth with a great cut will look spectacular.

Sin Khan

Familiar Face
Good News!

I just received the two tailoring books that I ordered in the mail and they both confirm that an entire 3 piece suit for a 40 inch waistline can be made from about half the material that I originally quoted. That means that the price of materials is much smaller than I thought. However, there is a lot more labor involved than I ever imagined. I am firmly convinced now that a basic suit can be made for fewer than 200 dollars for materials. But the traditional method of complete tailoring is a long job that?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s for sure.

The good news is that once you have the pattern measurements right for you, then you can more quickly and cheaply make other suits for yourself. I have never had a suit tailor made, but I would assume that it is much cheaper to have about 3 or 4 jackets and 6-8 pairs of pants made by the same tailor than it would be to use a different tailor for all your suits.

I had no idea how much prep work, fitting, and alterations had to be done to a tailored suit just to make it fit right. Also, don?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t count out having a coat made either. A good coat is the first item that I think I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m going to try to make for myself.

$640 a yard looks to me like a fabric company seeing how much people are stupid enough to pay (apologies if anyone on the board has paid that much). It can't possibly be worth that much ...

On the price of a tailored suit: tailoring prices have shot up astronomically in the last decade or two or three. Because hand made has become such a luxury there just isn't the demand there once was. The tailors have to make money. I was stunned when i first moved to indiana and found that there was no tailor in my town of 125,000 people.

And to stay on topic, Indy magnoli's suits look pretty good to me, but i've never been a fan of the belted back.

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Figured I'd bump this thread rather than starting one

Just took the plunge and orderded a Barnett College 3-piece suit from Indy. I'll let everybody know the result. Although this is my first purchase from Indy, I think I may be his biggest customer. ;)

Depending on how this goes, Indy might want to get ready for more business from persons of rotundity (how's that for P.C.? :) ) such as myself.

Briscoeteque

One of the Regulars
Those are very reasonably priced! Next time I get five hundred dollars, I'll know how to spend it! The only question: do I need a summer linen, or a heavy wool?

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Indy Magnoli said:
I justed added a page for "Custom Suits" on my site for those who want to pick-and-choose their own features.

This is a good start. However ... once you've built up an inventory of suits made with all of these different options, take photos of each one and add them to your "options" webpage. Don't make the same mistake that mycustomtailor.com makes: they show pictures of apparel that is not their own. Their images are taken from old fashion pictures, movies, and BBC TV series. Not the real products at all.

1930s fashion plate illustrations (like your black/white ones) look great, but the actual finished product may not look exactly like the fashion plate. It's always better to see the real deal.

Indy Magnoli

Vendor
Marc,

I definitely intend to! This is one reason why I offer special prices for "one offs" that I would like to specifically add to my site. It's a good way to get actual images on the site.

I REALLY want to add a single breasted, peaked lapel suit with matching double-breasted peaked lapel vest... if no one steps to the plate in the near future, I may HAVE to have it made for myself instead. :p [huh] ;)

Kind regards,
Magnoli

The Mantis

New in Town
I have the Connery Goldfinger suit from Indy and I love it! Have worn it for 2 board meetings already (one gent even recognized the cut).

Indy, if you made an Alec Baldwin suit from the Shadow you would have a paypal seconds later....

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Which suit from the Shadow are you guys interested in, the black db, the beltback number or soemthing I'm not remembering? Pics?

Indy Magnoli

Vendor
I've had a few requests for this suit, so I really would like to get it done. Tell you what... I'll see if someone can get me a few screen grabs and I'll have a look at the construction (anyone here have The Shadow on DVD?). Then you two can fight over who wants to be the guinea pig, and who wants to have the second one at full price. ;)

Kind regards,
Indy

The Mantis

New in Town
Knowing your quality I wouldn't mind being a trial monkey....I think everyone is in agreement as to which one...the beltback number that he meets Shi Kahn in within the Chinatown bar and grill...:)

Julius Xavier

One of the Regulars
Shadow Suit

Not the best selection of pics but the suit is kinda hard to make out. He's either sitting down or has a coat on while wearing it. But aleast I tried.

146494414.jpg

146494404.jpg

146494397.jpg

146494392.jpg

146494387.jpg

I'll take my prize now please...lol.

-DocIndyJones

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner