Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Making a stiff hat soft

Bebop

Practically Family
Other than sending a hat to a hatter, is there anything one can do to make a stiff hat soft or softer? In other words, can you remove stiffener from a hat with over the counter products? I am talking about a newer (5 or 6 yrs. old) Open Road.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
The newer Open Road's I've seen are stiff as a board, literally, I think this is done at the factory to cover up the inferior felt. Unless it is a very high end Open Road, I doubt there is much you could do with it.

fedoralover

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
I find that each consecutive wetting in the rain or manually in the tub or a watering trough, will make a cowboy hat softer. I will sometimes manually manipulate the felt with my hands to make it softer.

Thunderbolt

One of the Regulars
Biltmore Bob said:
I find that each consecutive wetting in the rain or manually in the tub or a watering trough, will make a cowboy hat softer. I will sometimes manually manipulate the felt with my hands to make it softer.

But use COLD water!!! I got a wool felt hat wet in hot water when I was 10 and it shrank several sizes!!

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
A little manipulation by gentile smashing will loosen it up, but if like Fedoralover said, if the felt is inferior the stiffener is the only thing holding the shape. Just crumple it up a bit and then push it back into it's shape a few times, that should do the trick. Then use just a little steam to set the shape you just put in. The steam will re-activate the stiffener. But, that's just my two cents.

Cheers!

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW