Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Maltese Falcon

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
chrismak said:
Ok got the phone.. got the cert.

Anyone know the inkwells, Fan, lamp, or the adding machine or whatever machine is on his desk?

In my experience, inkwells are not generally made en-masse by pen companies. Usually they're just one-off creations and I've never seen two inkwells or two inkstands which were ever identical, except on very rare occasions (Visconti makes a lead crystal inkwell, as does, I believe, Montblanc, but I know of no others). I don't think you'll be able to find an exact match. A close match, maybe, with the size and shape of the stand and wells, but not an exact one. It would take several years of searching, I'd wager.

chrismak

Familiar Face
Yeah the inkwells will be a problem.

What is the Machine on Spade's desk later in the film.. looks like maybe an adding machine.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
The film was made in 1941, the radio is an RCA and that model came out in 1940 and was made into the post war years of the 40s with minor differences.

Original 1941 ad for the RCA

images41rcashortwave.jpg

Keep your eyes open on ebay for desk sets that look close to what Bogart had on his. 1940s ink wells we see in movies could have been from the late 30s too since WB would use some of the same props in most of their films. Pieces of desk dressing of that era was very decretive as well as functional, maybe some pieces seem that they’d be more cumbersome or whatever but, if one really wants to represent or duplicate a set, it’s always the better choice to stick it out and stay true to the dream and find the little details that make all the difference!

chrismak

Familiar Face
I am doing some screen cap looking.. The lamp on his desk.. is a double.. Oil I figure. Anyone ever seen such a lamp?

It too has a bird on top.. between the lamps.. JUst like the inkwells.

But who had a bird as a logo?

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
chrismak said:
I am doing some screen cap looking.. The lamp on his desk.. is a double.. Oil I figure. Anyone ever seen such a lamp?

It too has a bird on top.. between the lamps.. JUst like the inkwells.

But who had a bird as a logo?

Share some of the screen grabs you have, I know for a fact that in the early 40s the Victorian fashion had made a comeback. With "Gone with the Wind" most traditional offices were outfitted with Victorian inspired lamps and such.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Here's the lamp, I found a shot of it...

maltesefalcon0001.jpg

Just as I expected too, traditional brass fixture with green glass shades. And I'm sure it's electric too! You can find these types of lamps at most antique shops or even at most lamp stores, I'm almost sure they still make them... however, my choice would be to get a lamp that was made in the 40s... may as well, they'll look more authentic I think.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Yep, that's a Double Argand. Two lamps with a central oil-tank. Yours will be electric, but originally, they were oil-fired and the oil was kept in the cylinder in the middle. You can still buy modern, electric reproduction Double-Argands, so getting one shouldn't be too hard. Just look for a period lighting-fixtures store or something like that. They're bound to have them. Argands were very popular.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Shangas said:
You can still buy modern, electric reproduction Double-Argands, so getting one shouldn't be too hard. Just look for a period lighting-fixtures store or something like that. They're bound to have them. Argands were very popular.

Quite true, Shangas is correct, just find one with the double green shades then you'll be on the beam of nailin' down that desk to 1941 Sam Spade! ;)

Argee

One of the Regulars
chrismak said:
As for the radio I am on it, It was in fact a RCA I believe.

Specifically it's an RCA 15X. It has 3 knobs and the detailing that wraps around the side. I've got one sitting on my desk right now, bought for the exactly the same reason that you're looking for one. I hope you have the budget for the correct desk lighter, the ones with the clocks built in are not cheap at all.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Forgotten Man said:
Quite true, Shangas is correct, just find one with the double green shades then you'll be on the beam of nailin' down that desk to 1941 Sam Spade! ;)

Those darn shades are $$$$. The ones on mine broke ages ago, and I can't bring myself to pop the $150 to replace them when I only paid $18 for the stupid lamp at auction.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo