Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Matt Deckard Apparel

ddcronk said:
I've been in contact with Matt via email for a few months now and scheduled a fitting appointment for today at noon at the Hilton in Bellevue. The last communication I got from Matt was 2/7/09, so I was a bit concerned about what the procedure was.
Has Matt called you since this post? (I believe he was traveling and had an event he was involved in.)

I know Matt has reviewed the way he has handled appointments for measurements & fittings in the past and has started to work up some informative changes as to what is going on, what to look for and expect.

It's seems like a good suggestion to others to wear dress clothes to a measurement or fitting session. If you have a jacket that fits well, it helps the tailor to see how it lays. If it has problems, it lets the tailor see what types of difficulties to avoid in the construction of your suit. In fitting, wearing a dress shirt that is similar to what you expect to wear will help with getting the sleeve length right, dress shoes help get that final length of trousers right.

ddcronk

New in Town
Matt did contact me since my last post. He's actually called me about four times and is shipping me the books of fabric I was interested in. He has been very helpful. I think I'm going to get his classic three-piece with the action back.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
It's also the inverse when it comes to certain foods. Take chicken, for example. In my grandparents' memory, chicken from a market was a relatively expensive luxury. So were bananas. Not today.

Yes, but chicken grown in the way it would have been in their day is once again, a luxury.

As are suits made to the standards of that era.

Thing is, clothes were not cheap then. they were just made well and expected to last. In listening to an old radio broadcast, a man sells another man a used overcoat for five bucks. That would be like seventy to a hundred bucks today. imagine anyone paying that price for a used regular coat.

Ed

Familiar Face
I find this to be a bit confusing.

If I make an appointment with Joe Hemrajani of Mytailor.com
when he visits my city, do I just ask him for a shirt or suit
design from Matt Deckard's design portfolio?

Or is it necessary for me to contact Matt first if I want
one of his (Matt's) designs?

I've ordered suits and shirts from Joe before and have
been very pleased.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I have another customer that has a few of Joe's suits. The construction collar to cuff and the balance of the look of my suits is different. It takes the tailors a few weeks longer to make them. It Has to do with the different elements to the body fit and the details that I want in my construction. Since I have my own aesthetic for Balance, customer's wanting my looks are referred to me, and those looking for more of a body fit are referred to me. It's also a good idea to get ahold of me so i can have the tailor that measures you ready with any vintage style fabrics you might be interested in using for your suit, jacket, trousers, shirt or vest.

3PieceSuitGuy

One of the Regulars
So how does an Aussie.....

So how does an Aussie get hold of one of your suits Matt? I have a photo of Jimmy Stewart with two beautiful girls in his arms and he is wearing a 3 piece suit I would love to own!

Cheers

Peter

Herr Hitman

One of the Regulars
Dagwood said:
pict0056tb0.jpg
pict00592vz5.jpg

pict0057lm2.jpg
pict0058nd2.jpg

pict00602en2.jpg
I need one of those.

Robert Conway

A-List Customer
Matt, what make of cloth are you using for your suits?
Harrisons? Porter & Harding? Holland & Sherry? Some one else?

It seems to be next impossible to purchase modern fabrics without 'the sheen'. These days even worsted wool has a slight sheen to it, which makes it look cheap and tacky. It's not totally matte, like vintage fabrics.

I spoke to the people at Holland & Sherry about this and they confirmed that this was the case. Apparently most fabric is now treated after it's woven and the sheen and lack of color density is a result of this. Longer and thinner fibers also don't help.

The closest I could find was a worsted wool (15oz) by P&H (Harrisons of Edinburgh)

3PieceSuitGuy

One of the Regulars
Bump!

3PieceSuitGuy said:
So how does an Aussie get hold of one of your suits Matt? I have a photo of Jimmy Stewart with two beautiful girls in his arms and he is wearing a 3 piece suit I would love to own!

Cheers

Peter

Hello Matt, was wondering if you saw my question above?

Cheers,

Peter

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Funny, in the photos it appears to me to be a medium gray. Maybe just the lighting... appears to have been an overcast day... everything turns gray when it's overcast.

The right stripe is insane! What's the weight of the fabric on that rig?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails