Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Medical Info of 1940's

MelissaAnne

One of the Regulars
Crumbs! I don't know where to look for this kind of info and need your help!

I need some information on what a doctor would do in the instance of a shattered kneecap in 1945. It would have to be an army doctor. Would they replace it with a steel plate? Pin it together? I have NO idea where to look for that kind of medical history.

Anyone have an idea?

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I tend to just type my topic into google and check out what pops up. Not necessarily for the info on a webpage, which is unlikely to be in enough detail, but to get a look at other links and bibliographies.

I googled "military medicine WWII knee replacement" and found this site that was right on topic.

http://history.amedd.army.mil/booksdocs/wwii/OrthoMed/contents.htm

section 228-229 and down a bit (if you can get past the medical-ese) appear to imply that with the patella destroyed the joint was allowed to fuse (in a controlled manner). Other poking around seems to say knee-replacement surgery was not done until several years after the war.

Your character might have a stiff-legged gait if he didn't have more surgery done after the war.

Anyway, that's how I look stuff up.

MelissaAnne

One of the Regulars
PERFECT. Thanks so much. I think my brain was overly fried this morning when I tried to think of the perfect search words. :eusa_doh:

Thanks again. ;)

Melissa

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran