Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Men's Old Fashioned sleepwear

topcat

Familiar Face
Anyone have any leads on finding the ol' nightcap and gown formal sleepwear of yesteryear, probably more of an english staple than american.

Although I am reminded of Twas the night before Christmas, "mom in her
kercheif and I in my cap", so I guess in the real early days of america the men were still wearing the formal cap.

topcat

Familiar Face
Yes somewhat. I'd swear I've seen old time comedies such as Abbott and Costello , or Laurel and Hardy, where when Costello gets dressed he merely pulls his pants up over his night shirt and it has a collar for a tie like a normal shirt or vice versa,when time for bed the man takes off his pants and what you thought was a regular dress shirt turns out to be a night shirt instead.

The missing accessory I speak of is maybe better defined as the matching stocking cap, Winnie The Pooh is usually drawn with one when sleeping,or some may remember it as the ol' Ebenezeer Scrooge oufit.

I believe the old nightshirts came in as many different a variety of patterns as the dress shirts of today.

Bart

Familiar Face
Night shirts

Would you wear a night shirt in upstate New York in the cold of Winter? Turn up the heat! Of course there are advantages hmm.:cheers1:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred