Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEN'S PAJAMAS and DRESSING GOWNS

Burton

One of the Regulars
I really like the idea of nice pyjamas and have purchased a few very simple ones in 100% cotton that I wear from time to time. I have also been in situations where I needed to be able to move quick and get out of where I was sleeping that made the pyjamas not work. In that case I wore nylon blended bush shorts with pockets and t-shirts. Tonight pyjamas will work.

Burton said:
I have also been in situations where I needed to be able to move quick and get out of where I was sleeping that made the pyjamas not work...

Made me think of the advice from the emergency experts for evacuation. They suggest having a coverall like a flight suit and zip up boots for quick exit strategy. The coveralls should have pockets to put some of the nessecities and emergency items.

Speedbird

A-List Customer
is this really about what guys really sleep in?

when I needed to, I slept fully dressed in my boots (as a useful/useless tip - use a sleeping bag with a 'bomb burst' centre zip and poly bags over the boots) although on balance as a 'look' it's not recommended... I thought pyjamas were for non-emergency situations but I am sure given enough time there will be multi-cam options for every eventuality .... very 'ally'; don't forget to keep the BoB handy....

What I wear in bed is not interesting..... original pyjamas and dressing gowns for the travelling man may be yet?

jumping out of planes that aren't crashing in pyjamas would be interesting... if a little chilly! ;) ;)

Speedbird

A-List Customer
pyjamas and parachuting

My flippancy ^^^^ got me thinking in a different direction this afternoon. When I wrote about pyjamas being worn when jumpng out of perfectly good planes I thought it amusing but unlikely except in the vein of stunt skydive weddings or some such.

But it occurred to that there could be two whole new areas for exploration/discussion:

1. The most ridiculously out of place yet oddly still cool vintage look/ensemble/activity e.g. robbing banks and skydiving in white tie and tails - (almost) aka Breakpoint (is there a non film example?)

2. Wearing pyjamas while jumping out of planes that are crashing is possibly more comon than I first considered - there must be quite a few examples of pilots who scrambled in a hurry pullling on boots and jackets over the pj's only to have to bail out later!

So 'pyjamas and disasters' could be quite fun if :eek:fftopic:

Back on topic, rather than continuing to analyse the modern mans sleep wear, where are the photos of Terry Thomas or David Niven in nice silk gowns and pj's being ever so debonair at breakfast on the Riviera (French/Italian/English)?

LordBest

Practically Family
A picture is worth a thousand words, or, The efficacy of this thread is severely compromised by the acute shortage of photographic representations.

LoungingChap.jpg

Not pictured: A bottle of benedictine. I was told it was medicinal. I certainly feel little pain. It may also explain why I'm posting a picture of myself in my pyjamas on the internet.

Zombie_61 said:
Me, I can't wear 'em; the most I'll wear to bed is a baggy sleeveless tee shirt and some form of loose athletic shorts.
Well, once again my words have come back to bite me on the backside. Last week our house was without gas because of 60-year-old underground plumbing that finally decided to give up the ghost. No heater, no hot water, no cooking on the gas stove--and I had to wear a sweatshirt and sweatpants to bed in order to keep warm. 60°F might not seem cold to some, but last week I found it to be below my comfort level; the downside of insulation is that it seals heat and cold in as well as it keeps it out.

Now that I'm back to the aforementioned tee shirt and shorts, I can honestly say I don't know how those of you who wear pajamas to bed do it.

JoeNiblick

One of the Regulars
I find pajama tops too constricting. I wear the pants year-round (which are easy to find to purchase separately, sometimes sold as "lounge pants") and a t-shirt to bed. In the winter, I might wear a long sleeve t-shirt.

Tailor Tom

One of the Regulars
Adding my bit

I have a couple of sets of pajamas that I wear during the winter months. I have a silk set that is very nice and great to travel with (light weight), I also have a set that I made from high-end shirting fabric (Egyption cotton multi-colored stripe), I think these are quite a true extravagance.

I also have several pair of "Lounge" pants..some cotton, one silk and one ina fine Cashmere knit....those are amazing.

I had a break-in a few years back (think I mentioned it in another post) and they stole all sorts of things. One of the missing items was adult-size blue, Cowboy-print flannel pajamas. I found them years ago, and loved them for the comedy of it all. Now, why someone would steel them, I don't know. Tried to find another pair with no luck. I even tried to find similar fabric to make a set, no dice. So if any of you have an idea, help a guy out!

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
LordBest said:
A picture is worth a thousand words, or, The efficacy of this thread is severely compromised by the acute shortage of photographic representations.

LoungingChap.jpg

Not pictured: A bottle of benedictine. I was told it was medicinal. I certainly feel little pain. It may also explain why I'm posting a picture of myself in my pyjamas on the internet.

WHERE does one get a good quality fez?

LordBest

Practically Family
Well, both of my fezes (fez'? Fezii?) are quite old, dating back to the '70s at least. One was a present from an Aunt and the other I found in an antique store, so I really don't know. Keeping an eye out on eBay for a vintage one wouldn't be a bad idea, and Lock & Co in London do a very expensive version if you have money to burn. I wish I could be more help.
http://www.lockhatters.co.uk/Smoking_Caps___Fez-Fez-P251.aspx

MisterCairo said:
WHERE does one get a good quality fez?

Warbaby

One Too Many
Help me identify this vintage men's dressing gown.

I found this beautiful men's dressing gown at the thrift store yesterday. No labels, but it looks and feels pretty old. It needs to be cleaned and pressed, but I don't know what the fabric is so I don't know whether I should attempt to hand wash it or have it dry cleaned. Is there a simple way to test if a fabric is rayon or silk? I'd also appreciate any opinions on the date.

I'm definitely going to have to find a smoking cap or fez to wear with this one.

The color is more accurate in the first photo.

DressingGown1.JPG

DressingGown3.JPG

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"I'm no expert but it looks very much like "Damask" a popular fabric in the thirties" for everything from Curtains, table cloths, dressing gowns, and of course "Dozens of Double Damask Dinner Napkins" it does indeed demand a Fez, and Turkish slippers, with Turkish delight served in exquisite jade bowls

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I'd take it to the dry cleaners just to be on the safe side. They may even be able to identify the fabric.

Feraud

Bartender
Warbaby said:
Is there a simple way to test if a fabric is rayon or silk? I'd also appreciate any opinions on the date.
My first thought is to show it to someone who knows fabric. A friend who sews, a tailor, fellow clothing collector, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails