Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Men's Underwear Basics: Underwear, Undershirts

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Martinis at 8 said:
Usually I save my bluntness for the AAAC forum. However, I'll make an exception in this case.

Briefs are for girly men like Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt. I also put suspenders, bow-ties, cuffed trousers, and parting one's hair down the middle in the girly-man category.

M8

bahahaahhaahhahahahahahahhaa

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
where to start

1st off I spent waaay too many years in the service and in some pretty lousey places in the world to not only rely on a good pair of briefs to keep dirt and even insects off me bum and keep me clean...

However when it comes to round the house comfort and such... A good pair of boxer brief's are pretty nice....

JMHO

Jovan

Suspended
Boxers and boxer briefs. Tommy Hilfiger button front boxer briefs are nice -- if you can find them discounted -- and don't have that awkward brief style fly.

Now, I've never had success with briefs, no matter what brand. Not at all to brag, but they're all made too small in the crotch area for me. Then some ugly... leakage occurs. Yikes. I recently made the switch to boxer briefs with no problems. They are also sexier, in my opinion. Like women's boyshorts, they show just enough without revealing all. :)

I think the reason only one woman has responded is because, well, it's a bit of a double standard. We, as male members of the board, are expected not to talk at all in any threads about women's underthings. Yet, we openly want their opinion on this when we're discussing strapping down our "boys"... kind of odd if you ask me. [huh]

Martinis at 8: That would have come off a lot better if you used an emoticon.

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
Badluck Brody said:
1st off I spent waaay too many years in the service and in some pretty lousey places in the world to not only rely on a good pair of briefs to keep dirt and even insects off me bum and keep me clean...

However when it comes to round the house comfort and such... A good pair of boxer brief's are pretty nice....

JMHO

That's interesting. When I was in the US Army we had both types issued to us at different points in time. I am not sure who makes the decisions on this type of stuff or whether it's merely a cost issue. I went through the US Army Ranger school, and most simply didn't wear any underwear at all. The problem was the drying time. The only exception was for long underwear, if they were wool. This was mainly because the wool keeps you warm regardless if it is wet or not. Any cotton undergarments would take forever to dry.

M8

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
In some parts of the South...

...breifs are considered to be for boys and boxers are for men -- don't ask me why. It's probably related to the fact that boxers predated briefs (men don't like change) and that you can't really make briefs yourself but you can make boxers (the South was poor). When my dad went to college in the 40s he left with boxers made by his mother out of flour sacks.

My dad was in the Army, and was stationed in NY when I went to college. I left with a load of "tightey (not tidy) whities". At The Citadel (then all male, and very southern), I got endless grief for them. Plus in the heat and humidity, air circulates around in boxers and makes you more comfortable. At my earliest convenience I threw away my briefs and never went back. I haven't owned a pair of "banana squeezers" in decades.

Big, baggy boxers seem to be a dad thing. When you wear them, you seem less "compromised" when you kids surprise you in your underwear.

Now, here is a funny (and somewhat gross :eek:) boxer story: When I was a cadet, two of my classmates were very different kinds of guys, but were roommates. Both were named Jim. One was from a small South Carolina Southern Baptist family. The other was from New York, and from a big Irish Catholic family.

NY Jim was very disorganized and chaotic. He failed to send out his laundry and ran out of underwear. Being from a huge communal property family, he went into SC Jim's drawer and "borrowed" a pair of silky boxers (can you imagine it?).

SC Jim's purloined underpants went home with NY Jim for Christmas furlough. Jim's brother saw said silky and attractive boxers and took them back to Wake Forrest. The silky boxers got the reputation as being "lucky" with the ladies, and became a hot item in John's fraternity. The were worn, washed, and passed around the joint.

During Spring furlough, NY Jim saw them and confiscated them (over protests of importance to the fraternity's love life) to return to SC Jim. Understandably, SC Jim was not interested in having them back.

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
Mid-fogey said:
...breifs are considered to be for boys and boxers are for men -- don't ask me why. It's probably related to the fact that boxers predated briefs (men don't like change) and that you can't really make briefs yourself but you can make boxers (the South was poor). When my dad went to college in the 40s he left with boxers made by his mother out of flour sacks.

My dad was in the Army, and was stationed in NY when I went to college. I left with a load of "tightey (not tidy) whities". At The Citadel (then all male, and very southern), I got endless grief for them. Plus in the heat and humidity, air circulates around in boxers and makes you more comfortable. At my earliest convenience I threw away my briefs and never went back. I haven't owned a pair of "banana squeezers" in decades.

Big, baggy boxers seem to be a dad thing. When you wear them, you seem less "compromised" when you kids surprise you in your underwear.

Now, here is a funny (and somewhat gross :eek:) boxer story: When I was a cadet, two of my classmates were very different kinds of guys, but were roommates. Both were named Jim. One was from a small South Carolina Southern Baptist family. The other was from New York, and from a big Irish Catholic family.

NY Jim was very disorganized and chaotic. He failed to send out his laundry and ran out of underwear. Being from a huge communal property family, he went into SC Jim's drawer and "borrowed" a pair of silky boxers (can you imagine it?).

SC Jim's purloined underpants went home with NY Jim for Christmas furlough. Jim's brother saw said silky and attractive boxers and took them back to Wake Forrest. The silky boxers got the reputation as being "lucky" with the ladies, and became a hot item in John's fraternity. The were worn, washed, and passed around the joint.

During Spring furlough, NY Jim saw them and confiscated them (over protests of importance to the fraternity's love life) to return to SC Jim. Understandably, SC Jim was not interested in having them back.

Citadel. A fine Southern school. So why do you live in VMI country? :D

M8

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Jovan said:
I think the reason only one woman has responded is because, well, it's a bit of a double standard. We, as male members of the board, are expected not to talk at all in any threads about women's underthings. Yet, we openly want their opinion on this when we're discussing strapping down our "boys"... kind of odd if you ask me. [huh]

Well, we were fine with mixed company until you started chatting about leakage and bragging. :eek:

Thread title updated.

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
VMI...

Martinis at 8 said:
Citadel. A fine Southern school. So why do you live in VMI country? :D

M8

...wasn't a serious option for me. My Dad went to VPI (now called Virginia Tech). He considered VMI to be a "rich boy's school."

For the record, despite the rivalry, I consider VMI to be an excellent school.

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
Mid-fogey said:
...wasn't a serious option for me. My Dad went to VPI (now called Virginia Tech). He considered VMI to be a "rich boy's school."

For the record, despite the rivalry, I consider VMI to be an excellent school.

Well I admire both VMI and Citadel, and Lexington and Charleston are wonderful places to visit. I do think both of those academies put out a better product than West Point, and am hoping those places can avoid the big slide that the federal academies have gone through.

Cheers,

M8

Warden

One Too Many
Boxers for me, in fact I have just bought some modern clingy things, not my cup of tea, but Mrs W likes them.

Ho no, hear I go again to much information, :eek: quick where is the delete key?

Harry

Rider

Familiar Face
I like briefs. I wore boxers for a decade or two because that's what everyone else was doing and what I thougth I SHOULD do. One day donning a pair of briefs laying in the bottom of one of my drawers (note clever use of bottom and drawers in a posting about briefs :eusa_clap ) seemed preferable to doing laundry. I realized them to be a lot more comfortable, and I went to the store to buy more instead of doing laundry.

Jovan

Suspended
scotrace said:
Well, we were fine with mixed company until you started chatting about leakage and bragging. :eek:

Thread title updated.
I just figured it already was aimed towards men only with the talk of "strapping one's boys down" and what not. :eusa_doh: And I surely wasn't bragging! A lot of other guys I know have problems with briefs in that area, and um, I know for a fact they're average. lol

Also, apologies about what you had to edit. I should have just kept it to that sentence. From me, it came off pretty mean.

Jovan

Suspended
Martinis at 8 said:
That's interesting. When I was in the US Army we had both types issued to us at different points in time. I am not sure who makes the decisions on this type of stuff or whether it's merely a cost issue. I went through the US Army Ranger school, and most simply didn't wear any underwear at all. The problem was the drying time. The only exception was for long underwear, if they were wool. This was mainly because the wool keeps you warm regardless if it is wet or not. Any cotton undergarments would take forever to dry.

M8
No undies? Yikes! I'm afraid of what would happen.

I wonder who makes the issue ones, and if they're available as surplus...

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
Jovan said:
No undies? Yikes! I'm afraid of what would happen.

I wonder who makes the issue ones, and if they're available as surplus...

No surplus anymore, they just acquire them from a standard manufacturer and issue them. Like Haynes, Fruit-of-the-Loom, etc. In my day there were special issues like olive green boxers, olive drab briefs, and traditional whites. My son tells me that is no longer the case. What's issued is the same as you can get at JC Penney. Perhaps some of the active duty military here can inform us different. In any case, nothing stays constant when it comes "standard" issue.

The no-underwear practice is actually common in wet environments. As an example in Ranger school, during the Florida phase one will spend an inordinate amount of time in waist-high water. This is particularly challenging if one goes through this training in the winter time. Getting dry quickly is important, so if one walks out of a swamp and has on cotton underwear one will stay wet and cold longer than one who does not (they don't let you stop to dry off and change). Uh, however, there is sometimes a problem with leeches. Best bet is to go with wool underwear. Keeps one warm while wet, and gives a layer of protection against the leeches.

I think overwhelmingly, those in the military who serve in field environments prefer boxers over briefs. Fly-Boys on the other hand probably prefer briefs :D (except for the Air Force Combat Controllers who went to Ranger school with the rest of us who had to work for a living :D )

M8

luvthatlulu

Suspended
Martinis at 8 said:
Fly-Boys on the other hand probably prefer briefs :D (except for the Air Force Combat Controllers who went to Ranger school with the rest of us who had to work for a living :D )

M8

I know you're kidding, but...

clearly you've never flown a Route Pack Six / "Alpha strike" Wild Weasel mission over Hanoi or you wouldn't have made that statement. See your flight leader and his wingman both hit as they start their roll-in and you'll quickly find more important things to worry about than boxers or briefs...just staying focused and keeping them clean for starters! :eek:

I don't want fellow Loungers to get the impression that us (former) "Flyboys" are only about looking dapper and wearing scarves--even if it is a part of our job description!!!

;)

--Not the Lulu
<--That's the Lulu

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
luvthatlulu said:
I know you're kidding, but...

clearly you've never flown a Route Pack Six / "Alpha strike" Wild Weasel mission over Hanoi or you wouldn't have made that statement. See your flight leader and his wingman both hit as they start their roll-in and you'll quickly find more important things to worry about than boxers or briefs...just staying focused and keeping them clean for starters! :eek:

I don't want fellow Loungers to get the impression that us (former) "Flyboys" are only about looking dapper and wearing scarves--even if it is a part of our job description!!!

;)

--Not the Lulu
<--That's the Lulu

Say what? You want to make this serious? Shall we talk about ground combat versus aerial combat and which is uglier? Or the CAS that arrives too late and/or misplaces its ordnance? We'd have to start another thread on that. But...

I wouldn't want fellow Loungers to think us ground pounders aren't doing the dirty work that needs to be done while the guys with scarves are getting crew rest and hitting on someone's wife back at the canteen ;) This argument is old and has been done over and over again.

Nevertheless, gotta love those Ravens! ;)

luvthatlulu

Suspended
WOW. And whoa.

No, I wasn't trying to make it serious and I wasn't trying to demean your work. I was looking more for a little understanding (and appreciation) of ours. As to which is uglier, air or ground combat, they both are. Screw up in either one and you're dead all the same.

And I swear I never spoke to your wife. Probably some Navy puke. :p Definitely not me. ;)

--Not the Lulu
<--That's the Lulu

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
luvthatlulu said:
No, I wasn't trying to make it serious and I wasn't trying to demean your work. I was looking more for a little understanding (and appreciation) of ours. As to which is uglier, air or ground combat, they both are. Screw up in either one and you're dead all the same.

And I swear I never spoke to your wife. Probably some Navy puke. :p Definitely not me. ;)

--Not the Lulu
<--That's the Lulu

Haha! I wasn't even married back then. Maybe it was my girlfriend :D And don't even get me started on the Navy!

Actually you can get dead even if you don't screw up. Sad :(

I'm an AGOS graduate (Hurlburt Field), so most of the anti-Flyboy crap I spew I learned from them myself! :D Right there in that canteen of theirs on the beach of Ft. Walton Beach. I guess most veterans are familiar with the jocular debate (though I have seen some rare fights on the issue).

M8

P.S. Did you really fly those souped up F-4's or was that just an example to make the point? I'd say next to the Steve Canyon program, the WW pilots were next on the list of high risk loss.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner