Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Michael Jackson Dead at age 50

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"A wake up call for Madonna perhaps? Michael was apparently rehearsing on stage the day before, for his 50 upcoming shows in London with dancers half his age!! perhaps death really is Mother Natures way of telling you to slow down."

(oh no:p the moderators are gonna delete me again!, and at 51 i'm too tired to re-post)

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
HadleyH said:
With respect, I think your words are unkind.
How can anybody know what the future may have brought to him. Lets not be so quick to judge, lets give him the benefit of the doubt at least.... People live, learn and hopefully change for the better Skeet, that's what life is all about.

As usual simple, sensible and serene. :)

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
50 is sort of young to die, but Hank Williams, Patsy Kline, Elvis, Marilyn Monroe, Jane Mansfield, The Big Bopper and others were quite younger when they died. Death is part of life.

carter

I'll Lock Up
He will always be remembered as being among the pantheon of transcendant performers of his generation.
He knew greatness and he knew frailty.
He touched the lives of millions.
May he Rest in Peace.

Hondo

One Too Many
June

Farrah and Mcmahon we knew weren't in the best of health,
Don't live too much into the material world
It could all be gone, tomorrow.
Jackson at 50 is a shocker to Gen-X,
guess his heart couldn't take all those pain killers,
I was not a fan of his but I did admire his dance moves,
Right up there with Gene Kelly and Fred & Ginger,

Fawcett will always be a Sweet Angel, strong to the end.

RIP

What a month June:
David Carradine, Ed Mcmahon, Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson :(

jayem

A-List Customer
He was a born entertainer--and a damn good one at that.
I still can't get over the shock. MJ was a phenomenal performer and if you didn't catch yourself tapping your foot to one of his songs you were nuts.
I'm surprised the trial alone didn't kill him those few years ago. The crazy emotional torment that man must've gone through is unbelievable. Imagine being on top of the world and loved by everyone, and then totally despised in the most vile way possible.

In the end, he made Thriller, man. Thriller...

(Anybody who ever watched the Chappelle Show would get that)

dr greg

One Too Many
goldfish bowl

One view is that he was a frootloop who hadn't made a decent record in 20 years, the other may be that if he was crazy, who could blame him....his entire life was lived in the public eye, and remorselessly so: every foible examined, and behaviour that your average joe in the suburbs might get away with undetected was fodder for world wide release. Who was going to tell him the truth about himself...when you're a star, you're ALONE.
Makes you wonder if celebrity is as attractive as all the clowns queuing up for a shot at it might imagine.
I just heard as well that the doctors are running for cover, so the Elvis scenario might be run again.

Leesensei

One of the Regulars
Like many here, I have conflicted feelings about the demise of Mr. Jackson. While I have been appalled at some of his weird behavior and the serious charges that have been made about him in his later years, there is no denying the man had an immense talent and contributed a great deal to all of our lives in his youth. He also did a lot of good in the world with his various charity works etc. I suppose that once again, Shakespeare said it best: " The evil that men do live after them, the good is often interred with their bones"

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I'm thinking that for a certain generation - one younger than most of us - he was "Elvis". A bright light, huge hits, shifted the way a category of music was played - then flamed out.

The main difference to me was that Jacko put his weirdness on display for a LOT longer than Elvis did. I've heard that toward the end, Elvis wasn't functional at all...I don't know, I don't care to study it. I do know that when Jacko stared changing faces and getting into legal trouble, I tuned him out. But the display visible aroudn the world means that he was pretty important and even iconic to a lot of people. I'm just too old to appreciate it.

Corky

Practically Family
My neighbor made Miachael Jackson's red leather jacket: her story...

My neighbor made Michael Jackson's red leather jacket (the one from the Thriller video). Here is her story.

The lady who lived across the street from me in Los Angeles worked for a theatrical tailor shop that makes custom clothing for the entertainment industry.

Her employer was doing the costumes for the Thriller video and she made up the red leather jacket that MJ wore for the Thriller video.

thriller.jpg

So when the Grammy Awards TV show came around, MJ called her up and asked her to come out and make up a custom sequin coat for the show.

20080922Figure_a.jpg

So she went out to the Neverland ranch, was taken into the main house and was led led through a maze of rooms where she measured him for the outfit.

She said that he never said anything to her, but was watching music videos of himself and never took his eyes off the TV screen for the whole time she was there. She said it was like one of the late scenes in CITIZEN KANE in which the main character is all alone in a big mansion that is little more than a warehouse for manufactured memories.

She made the jacket and sent it to him and only later (when she was making out the bill) did she realize that MJ had not called her up and asked for her to make up the jacket for him out of any respect for her skill, but because she would CHARGE HIM LESS MONEY than if he would have to pay if he went through her employer, the theatrical tailor shop.

And this was at a time when he had one of the best selling recording artists of all time and when his collection of Beatle Albums included all the master tapes and copyrights.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80