Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Military 'woolly pully' sweaters

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
TC,
i think the black WP over here is defunct and were not very good, the last issues were in Olive Drab.
You don't see them worn here very often even though the ODs are/were permitted with Muffti
Someone still in the service correct me

Richard,
My black WP is made in the UK by Outdoor Knitwear and is the same quality as all my other military sweaters. Over here the black WP (as mentioned earlier in this thread I think) is associated mainly with the Royal Tank Regiment. I understand that some US Special Forces wear it?

ingineer

One Too Many
Richard,
My black WP is made in the UK by Outdoor Knitwear and is the same quality as all my other military sweaters. Over here the black WP (as mentioned earlier in this thread I think) is associated mainly with the Royal Tank Regiment. I understand that some US Special Forces wear it?
Special forces WP black? not to my knowledge. Everything here is the Jeep sweater or still issued perhaps the Olive one.
Everything has moved to the Acrylic Fleece, there was a time though that the black existed but made here not of the same quality.
The new "Bear" jacket, new ones are black, most on the market are junk
http://uspatriottactical.com/propper-gen-iii-ecwcs-polartec-fleece-jacket-liner-f5488-foliage-green/
Some funny background:
http://kitup.military.com/2006/12/der_wooly_pully.html

Last edited:

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Special forces WP black? not to my knowledge. Everything here is the Jeep sweater or still issued perhaps the Olive one.
Everything has moved to the Acrylic Fleece, there was a time though that the black existed but made here not of the same quality.
The new "Bear" jacket, new ones are black, most on the market are junk
http://uspatriottactical.com/propper-gen-iii-ecwcs-polartec-fleece-jacket-liner-f5488-foliage-green/
Some funny background:
http://kitup.military.com/2006/12/der_wooly_pully.html

There was a move towards fleece and other synthetic fibres here in both military and civilian life although in the latter category fleeces have been (to some extent still are) more a women's than a men's fashion.

However the shortcomings of fleece and similar material especially lack of breathability are becoming more apparent and they are steadily going the way of shell suits - and not before time.

WPs are still issued to the military in olive, navy, air force and in some instances black.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
PB.JPG PBCuff.JPG

A couple of WP photographs taken this morning, as it's been cool and rainy again. This is the Peat Brown colour. I have included the turn-back cuff, which is a rightly popular feature.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
There is of course no such regiment as the Brown Howards. There is the Green Howards, now 2nd Battalion Yorkshire Regiment.

There are many colours of WP that are not used by the military at all, only civilians.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
There is of course no such regiment as the Brown Howards. There is the Green Howards, now 2nd Battalion Yorkshire Regiment.

There are many colours of WP that are not used by the military at all, only civilians.

I did wonder about that infact, as I had not heard about the Brown Howards, only the green ones!

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
Richard,

Many US law enforcement personnel also wear this one. I have a couple of them... I had one which was my normal size, but it always seemed a bit tight so I got one a bit larger and am a lot happier with it.

Fed

Preacher Man

A-List Customer
My compliments to all on your WP sweaters, I like the looks of them. Thanks to this thread, I'm looking at Woolly Pully sweaters, but have a question for you experienced woolly pully wearers; what do you wear under it? I've never had a woolly pully and I was wondering what kind of shirt would work under it. I've been looking at the LL Bean "Commando Sweater", all wool, seems like a nice sweater. Help me out here, I'd appreciate it. Then I'll probably join the Woolly Pully club. Thanks!

ingineer

One Too Many
Preacher Man:
I usually wear a dress weight uniform shirt, long sleeve, but any shirt with a collar should work if not too bulky.
you can wear them over n undershirt
Don't buy the Bean one, its from the Middle Empire and no longer the quality of the below:
http://www.outdoorknitwear.com/crew-neck/18-woolly-pully-crew-neck-sweater-.html
These are made to MOD specs which are rigorous
Plus more colour choice and surprising how quick the packets come from over the pond

Oh look a updated web page.
and some sort of bundle sale for a light weight under 20 quid

Last edited:

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Richard,

US Army Special Forces wear black WP, and what ever else pleases; especially outside CONUS, consonant with modified grooming
standards: long hair, beards, unlimited expense account, no questions asked, and get out-of-jail free monopoly cards. :D

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
My compliments to all on your WP sweaters, I like the looks of them. Thanks to this thread, I'm looking at Woolly Pully sweaters, but have a question for you experienced woolly pully wearers; what do you wear under it? I've never had a woolly pully and I was wondering what kind of shirt would work under it. I've been looking at the LL Bean "Commando Sweater", all wool, seems like a nice sweater. Help me out here, I'd appreciate it. Then I'll probably join the Woolly Pully club. Thanks!

I wear alot of various woolly pullys, under a crew neck/round neck one I would normally just wear a T Shirt.

I do have some Vee Neck WPs too and underneath those I would either wear white shirt with tie, if I happen to be somewhere on a cold day and needed to look smart and be warn at the same time, or I may have a Tshirt , then a lightweight fine gauge merino wool polo/roll/turtle neck, with the Vee Neck WP on top. Which oddly enough is exactly what I am wearing now. !

I would agree with the comment here that Outdoor Knitwear in here in the UK are the best for these, but just do make sure that you get a sweater than is pure 100% wool, rather than a wool blend with other fibres such as cotton or acrylic, or just cotton or acrylic. Pure wool is much better.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
US Army Special Forces wear black WP, and what ever else pleases; especially outside CONUS, consonant with modified grooming
standards: long hair, beards, unlimited expense account, no questions asked, and get out-of-jail free monopoly cards. :D

It was from you that I learned about US forces wearing the black WP. Before corresponding with you I had mainly associated it with our Royal Tank Regiment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic