Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Military 'woolly pully' sweaters

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
I know I am full of questions, but do you think a Wooly Pully could be worn as a layer below a sports jacket? Just curious as I said I am trying to imagine how I would wear it and google searches have not been helpful

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
I know I am full of questions, but do you think a Wooly Pully could be worn as a layer below a sports jacket? Just curious as I said I am trying to imagine how I would wear it and google searches have not been helpful

I often like Mr Ingeneer wear a Woolly Pully in lieu of a jacket. However I also often wear one under a sports jacket and in both cases over a shirt. The shape of the Woolly Pully is such that it works well under a jacket.

Preacher Man

A-List Customer
Hey Teach, good to see you again! I just a wooly pully from Outdoor Knitwear. Like you I wear a 46, I ordered a 46, it fits great. They are slightly slim fit in the waist but full fit in the shoulders and chest I was told. That's the way mine is, fits real well, and feels the same. I'm going to really like it when it gets colder here in Kentucky. Go with your regular size, if you get it from Outdoor Knitwear I know it'll work. Well made too!

Davy Crockett

A-List Customer
Hi Teach,
I too have a 46 chest and took their advice to go a size up (XL), personally I'm glad I did as it still fits quite neatly and I would have found a size L far too restrictive.

D

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
Hey Teach, good to see you again! I just a wooly pully from Outdoor Knitwear. Like you I wear a 46, I ordered a 46, it fits great. They are slightly slim fit in the waist but full fit in the shoulders and chest I was told. That's the way mine is, fits real well, and feels the same. I'm going to really like it when it gets colder here in Kentucky. Go with your regular size, if you get it from Outdoor Knitwear I know it'll work. Well made too!

Do you mind to post some pics of how you wear it so I can get an idea of how to dress with one? Ty

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
I would be very happy to send you a photo in which I am wearing a WP under a sports jacket - please send me a PM with an email and I shall do this straightaway.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Am wearing my 'purple mix' WP from Outdoor Knitwear today. Have had doubts about the colour but am finding it works well.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
This thread has gone somewhat quiet of late. It's been unseasonably warm because of El Nino etc. in the southern UK as well as the East Coast of the US. However that hasn't precluded wearing Woolly Pullies entirely, including in lieu of a jacket. I have had a strong bias towards Navy this year so far.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
This thread has gone somewhat quiet of late. It's been unseasonably warm because of El Nino etc. in the southern UK as well as the East Coast of the US. However that hasn't precluded wearing Woolly Pullies entirely....

Chicago has become more seasonal, a commando sweater fits beneath a large Pakistani A2 knockoff with excellent waist and sleeve web.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Which of your commando sweaters are you favouring this season?

I have a smorgasbord collection: ripped and repaired Canadian Army OD issue bought at $9.00 each; some black from service days,
and several OD and light olive sweaters purchased from Land's End (twenty years+ ago), a Maine outfit that I am not sure still exists.
Land's End also sold excellent Gloverall knockoffs. I am down to one Gloverall coat-a product like wooly-pully sweaters- made to last.:)

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
I have a smorgasbord collection: ripped and repaired Canadian Army OD issue bought at $9.00 each; some black from service days,
and several OD and light olive sweaters purchased from Land's End (twenty years+ ago), a Maine outfit that I am not sure still exists.
Land's End also sold excellent Gloverall knockoffs. I am down to one Gloverall coat-a product like wooly-pully sweaters- made to last.:)

I am similar to you in that I have several Navy and Army WPs, along with two Black ones, RAF Blue-Grey, Dark Grey Mix, Peat Brown, Dark Red, Purple Mix, Derby Tweed, Moss Green. … In theory I alternate them, but it’s been mainly Navy recently for some reason and occasionally Black. You really can't go wrong with a Commando Sweater.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
That's good. I still have silver knife inscribed Roma for opening letters - brought back from Italy by my grandfather in the early 1950s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy