Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Military 'woolly pully' sweaters

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Many US law enforcement personnel also wear this one. I have a couple of them... I had one which was my normal size, but it always seemed a bit tight so I got one a bit larger and am a lot happier with it.

Fed

This is just the beginning of the WP season over here and out of my collection I have so far shown a marked bias towards both Navy and Black!

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
My compliments to all on your WP sweaters, I like the looks of them. Thanks to this thread, I'm looking at Woolly Pully sweaters, but have a question for you experienced woolly pully wearers; what do you wear under it? I've never had a woolly pully and I was wondering what kind of shirt would work under it. I've been looking at the LL Bean "Commando Sweater", all wool, seems like a nice sweater. Help me out here, I'd appreciate it. Then I'll probably join the Woolly Pully club. Thanks!

Welcome to the Woolly Pully Club. I very much hope that you will join. I would like to reinforce ingineer's recommendation of Outdoor Knitwear. There is a specific Woolly Pully section on the site. Their WPs are more authentically military and the MoD specification makes for a rugged but extremely comfortable sweater. ingineer's experience matches mine as well in that I usually wear my WPs over light to mid-weight long-sleeved shirts, occasionally Rugby shirts. Like stevieboy I have been known to wear them over t-shirts or short-sleeved shirts. Some friends have told me that this can tickle or itch a bit but that's not been my experience - however if you have doubts stick to long-sleeved.

I am sure you will thoroughly enjoy these excellent sweaters.

ingineer beat me this time in recommending Outdoor Knitwear. I have recommended them successfully to so many people that I ought to ask them to pay me a commission.

Preacher Man

A-List Customer
Thanks for all the good answers and for pointing me toward Outdoor Knitwear. The Wooly Pully is completely new to me, didn't know what to wear under it, I've never had one, but always liked the looks. I'm sure I'll go with the v neck though when I order. Again, thanks for the direction. Appreciate them all!

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Thanks for all the good answers and for pointing me toward Outdoor Knitwear. The Wooly Pully is completely new to me, didn't know what to wear under it, I've never had one, but always liked the looks. I'm sure I'll go with the v neck though when I order. Again, thanks for the direction. Appreciate them all!

Yes, a v-neck Woolly Pully will work very well beneath a clerical collar.
Have you any idea yet what colour you will choose?

Preacher Man

A-List Customer
Thanks Ticklishchap! I don't wear a clerical collar, I'm a shirt and tie kind of preacher, Ha! Looking at the Outdoor Knitwear website, I like the Peat Brown, Derby Tweed, Black and the Olive colors. I'd probably always wear it over a casual shirt of some kind, topped with a fedora of course, now that you wooly pully experts have instructed me in proper wooly pully accompaniments. And I do like the looks of what Outdoor Knitwear offers. Very good looking sweaters.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Thanks Ticklishchap! I don't wear a clerical collar, I'm a shirt and tie kind of preacher, Ha! Looking at the Outdoor Knitwear website, I like the Peat Brown, Derby Tweed, Black and the Olive colors. I'd probably always wear it over a casual shirt of some kind, topped with a fedora of course, now that you wooly pully experts have instructed me in proper wooly pully accompaniments. And I do like the looks of what Outdoor Knitwear offers. Very good looking sweaters.

Yes, I guessed you were probably shirt and tie rather than clerical collar! All the colours you mention I have and can recommend!

Preacher Man

A-List Customer
I followed your kind advice and ordered my first woolly pully last night from Outdoor Knitwear. The 9047 v-neck in Derby Tweed with the pen pocket on the sleeve. Looking forward to it! You're right Ticklishchap; I am a shirt and tie kind of preacher. :):)

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
I followed your kind advice and ordered my first woolly pully last night from Outdoor Knitwear. The 9047 v-neck in Derby Tweed with the pen pocket on the sleeve. Looking forward to it! You're right Ticklishchap; I am a shirt and tie kind of preacher. :):)

Derby Tweed is a very good colour. I have the crew neck with pen pocket! I am sure you will be very pleased with your v-neck and get some good wear out of it.

wdw

One Too Many
Just ordered my second WP, this time a purple v-neck, after my last beige roll neck. At £33 all in with the 15% discount, it's rude not to buy.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
agree derby tweed is a very good colour, it must be one of the nicest mixture colours from ODW

By coincidence I'm wearing a Derby Tweed WP this morning. Being in Leicester, you could probably go along to OKW to pick up a Woolly Pully rather than ordering on-line.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Just ordered my second WP, this time a purple v-neck, after my last beige roll neck. At £33 all in with the 15% discount, it's rude not to buy.

I bought the purple mix crew neck when the colour first appeared but I'm afraid I have rarely worn it,. Not really sure why - I must get it out again soon!

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
agree derby tweed is a very good colour, it must be one of the nicest mixture colours from ODW

The interesting thing about Derby Tweed is that it's very close to Army green - but not quite. It's a good colour for country wear - walks, hikes, visits to country pubs, etc.

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
Been looking at a few on ebay and was wondering what layering looks like with a wooly pully. I like to wear collared shirts at work, could you layer these with dress shirts?

ingineer

One Too Many
Matt; these are perfect with a dress or uniform shirt.
if you want a tie to show and be more formal then choose the v neck
then your regimental tie will show, very polished
Buy them direct from outdoorknitwear, remember they fit military tight.
careful lots of cheap imitations out there
i'm 6'1" 190 pounds 39 waist and go with the XL
the real things, accept no substitute
http://www.outdoorknitwear.com/vee-neck/20-woolly-pully-vee-neck-sweater.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic