Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Military 'woolly pully' sweaters

Musher

One of the Regulars
You certainly have a fine collection of these sweaters. I do remember when I was staying in Boston Mass many years ago, taking the local Amtrack railway train to a town called Salem, it was not far from Boston, I noticed a surplus shop in the main street in Salem and they had a few army green military sweaters, wool/ribbed/round neck, looked very similar to those we have here in the UK.
Yes the U.S. Marines issue them now. You can order them on the Sportsmans Guide website.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Yes the U.S. Marines issue them now. You can order them on the Sportsmans Guide website.

I might have a look at it. Although I have several olive green British Army WPs, I might like one that was made specially for the US Marines. It would be an honour to wear it.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
I think the U.S. Air Force issues them as well as the U.S. Marines.

Our Air Force is a light blu/grey colour. I wore mine yesterday. I'm spoiled for choice with WPs (commando sweaters): this year I've gone for the Navy one most often but am in my Peat Brown WP this morning. The range of colours available now is very satisfying.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Our Air Force is a light blu/grey colour. I wore mine yesterday. I'm spoiled for choice with WPs (commando sweaters): this year I've gone for the Navy one most often but am in my Peat Brown WP this morning. The range of colours available now is very satisfying.

Yes that is very true, there is a very good choice of styles and colours.

Gamma68

One Too Many
I just acquired a used Brigade Quartermasters 'Wooly Pully." The tag says "dry clean only." Is there any problem with hand washing it in cold water and allowing it to air dry while lying flat?

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
I just acquired a used Brigade Quartermasters 'Wooly Pully." The tag says "dry clean only." Is there any problem with hand washing it in cold water and allowing it to air dry while lying flat?

The one I’m wearing today says hand-wash (as opposed to washing machine) and do not wring out, but it also says dry cleanable. Personally, I have always played safe by having mine dry cleaned and I’ve been wearing them since the 1970s so to coin a phrase I ‘can’t be wrong’.

Congratulations on your acquisition and happy wearing!

seres

A-List Customer
I hand-washed one of my Brigade Quartermasters Wooly Pullys just last week, with do damage. I hand-washed with Woolite and rinsed a few times with cold water, then put it in the washer to spin dry, and placed in flat on a towel to dry. Just be careful not to stretch it when wet.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
I hand-washed one of my Brigade Quartermasters Wooly Pullys just last week, with do damage. I hand-washed with Woolite and rinsed a few times with cold water, then put it in the washer to spin dry, and placed in flat on a towel to dry. Just be careful not to stretch it when wet.

Yes, I know it can be done. I've just always played safe.

BlueTrain

Call Me a Cab
With an actual issue jersey heavy wool, the cleaning instructions on the label are those new-fangled symbols that I can never decipher. I've never had any of my heavy sweaters cleaned, actually. These days, I tend to wear fleece instead anyway. It wears better, is cheaper, is easier to wash and is a lot lighter. Besides, the British issued fleece. By now, however, they seem to have moved on to "thermal jackets" and "thermal smocks." Fleece no longer forms part of the operational clothing outfit. Wool jerseys have been considered field clothing for probably 20 years.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
With an actual issue jersey heavy wool, the cleaning instructions on the label are those new-fangled symbols that I can never decipher. I've never had any of my heavy sweaters cleaned, actually. These days, I tend to wear fleece instead anyway. It wears better, is cheaper, is easier to wash and is a lot lighter. Besides, the British issued fleece. By now, however, they seem to have moved on to "thermal jackets" and "thermal smocks." Fleece no longer forms part of the operational clothing outfit. Wool jerseys have been considered field clothing for probably 20 years.

I loathe and detest fleece - it's plastic, ugly and looks androgynous. I'm afraid you'll never convince me on that score. Woolly Pullies are the real deal(jersey heavy wool in the British Army, Commando Sweater in the US).

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
You would probably like wool serge trousers, too, along with a flannel shirt.

Yes, probably. I think we're just going to have to be gentlemanly and agree to differ on this.

To get back to the thread itself, I admire the dedication of all those who wash their WPs by hand.

Musher

One of the Regulars
20170213_152250.jpg

I think this one is my oldest, made in England.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB