• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

Military 'woolly pully' sweaters

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by Ticklishchap, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Musher

Musher Familiar Face

Yes the U.S. Marines issue them now. You can order them on the Sportsmans Guide website.

Ticklishchap and M Hatman like this.
  2. Musher

Musher Familiar Face

I think the U.S. Air Force issues them as well as the U.S. Marines.

Ticklishchap likes this.
  3. Ticklishchap

Ticklishchap Practically Family

I might have a look at it. Although I have several olive green British Army WPs, I might like one that was made specially for the US Marines. It would be an honour to wear it.

Musher likes this.
  4. Ticklishchap

Our Air Force is a light blu/grey colour. I wore mine yesterday. I'm spoiled for choice with WPs (commando sweaters): this year I've gone for the Navy one most often but am in my Peat Brown WP this morning. The range of colours available now is very satisfying.

5. STEVIEBOY1

STEVIEBOY1 Practically Family

Yes that is very true, there is a very good choice of styles and colours.

6. Gamma68

Gamma68 One of the Regulars

I just acquired a used Brigade Quartermasters 'Wooly Pully." The tag says "dry clean only." Is there any problem with hand washing it in cold water and allowing it to air dry while lying flat?

Ticklishchap likes this.
  7. Ticklishchap

The one I’m wearing today says hand-wash (as opposed to washing machine) and do not wring out, but it also says dry cleanable. Personally, I have always played safe by having mine dry cleaned and I’ve been wearing them since the 1970s so to coin a phrase I ‘can’t be wrong’.

Congratulations on your acquisition and happy wearing!

Gamma68 likes this.
  8. Musher

Musher Familiar Face

With the cold weather here I have been wearing my wool versions.

Ticklishchap likes this.
  9. seres

seres One of the Regulars

I hand-washed one of my Brigade Quartermasters Wooly Pullys just last week, with do damage. I hand-washed with Woolite and rinsed a few times with cold water, then put it in the washer to spin dry, and placed in flat on a towel to dry. Just be careful not to stretch it when wet.

Ticklishchap and Gamma68 like this.
  10. Ticklishchap

Likewise: it's been great. I hope the Huskies are keeping well.

Musher likes this.
  11. Ticklishchap

Yes, I know it can be done. I've just always played safe.

12. BlueTrain

BlueTrain One Too Many

With an actual issue jersey heavy wool, the cleaning instructions on the label are those new-fangled symbols that I can never decipher. I've never had any of my heavy sweaters cleaned, actually. These days, I tend to wear fleece instead anyway. It wears better, is cheaper, is easier to wash and is a lot lighter. Besides, the British issued fleece. By now, however, they seem to have moved on to "thermal jackets" and "thermal smocks." Fleece no longer forms part of the operational clothing outfit. Wool jerseys have been considered field clothing for probably 20 years.

13. Ticklishchap

I loathe and detest fleece - it's plastic, ugly and looks androgynous. I'm afraid you'll never convince me on that score. Woolly Pullies are the real deal(jersey heavy wool in the British Army, Commando Sweater in the US).

tropicalbob likes this.
  14. BlueTrain

BlueTrain One Too Many

You would probably like wool serge trousers, too, along with a flannel shirt.

15. Ticklishchap

Yes, probably. I think we're just going to have to be gentlemanly and agree to differ on this.

To get back to the thread itself, I admire the dedication of all those who wash their WPs by hand.

16. BlueTrain

BlueTrain One Too Many

When did we disagree?

Ticklishchap likes this.
  17. Harp

Harp I'll Lock Up

I wear the commando and Irish knits now; the latter are the warmest and all ideal beneath the sole Gloverall I still own. Great sweater weather.

Ticklishchap likes this.
  18. Musher

Musher Familiar Face

20170213_152250.jpg

I think this one is my oldest, made in England.

Ticklishchap likes this.
  19. Ticklishchap

Nice man, nice sweater.

Musher likes this.
  20. Ticklishchap

How could we possibly disagree? You're far too nice a fellow for that!