Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Military 'woolly pully' sweaters

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
I tend to wash mine by hand, some can go in the wash but only on a wool cycle, followed by a short spin. Then dry on the line. Never in a Tumble drier though.

Gamma68

One Too Many
Thanks, gents, for the washing advice. I think I'll gently hand wash mine in Woolite and lay it flat to air dry.

While I'm thinking of it, this may be a silly question, but what's the purpose of the chest patch?

BlueTrain

Call Me a Cab
I was trying to remember when I've ever had any of mine cleaned. I'm sure I've washed at least one of them once. If I did, I probably hand-washed it and rolled it up in a towel to soak up the water, then spread it out flat. I wouldn't recommend hanging it up.

I'm not sure what chest patch you're referring to (none of my have one) but it might just be a place to pin your name tag.

I also hand-wash a lot of my heavier things, outside in a big plastic bucket with cold water. Some canvas clothes come out of a washing machine with funny rub marks and that's why I hand-wash them. I seem to have a lot of canvas things.

Gamma68

One Too Many
Where are you seeing a chest patch?
s-l1600.jpg

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Oh that is odd, like that I would tend to agree with the above poster, it could be for attaching ones name too. Some overseas versions of these sweaters have a chest pocket which could be used for pens, mobiles, cigarettes. Although hopefully not the latter these days.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
I just ordered an Italian military surplus commando sweater on Sportsman Guide. They are on sale, no tax, and free shippinh.

I must have a look at those and see how they differ from the commando sweaters/Woolly Pullies that we're so familiar with.

Musher

One of the Regulars
The Italian military surplus commando sweater I ordered has a v neck and epaulets plus the shoulder and elbow patches like a woolly pulley. This one is a wool blend and not 100% wool bur for 22 bucks U.S. no shipping and no shipping it is worth a try.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
The Italian military surplus commando sweater I ordered has a v neck and epaulets plus the shoulder and elbow patches like a woolly pulley. This one is a wool blend and not 100% wool bur for 22 bucks U.S. no shipping and no shipping it is worth a try.

I've just had a look and it's very nice. I've set up an account with SG and put it on my 'wish list'.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
I wear the commando and Irish knits now; the latter are the warmest and all ideal beneath the sole Gloverall I still own. Great sweater weather.

It’s brilliant sweater weather and getting even better over the next week. You’ll be pleased to hear that I’ve worn my black commando sweater (aka Woolly Pully) quite a number of times this season. Air Force today!

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Sorting the winter kit out now. Autumn here has been glorious: a cold Sun, crimson stained leaves, gray leaden overcast. Indian Summer fled before
Halloween and my sweater stock has stood in good stead, several Irish Standun knits-the warmest-and some commando types twenty years still worn
after purchase with only one showing slight wear. However, I've my eye fixed on two RN rollneck submariners, a blue and white to be worn with
my sole Gloverall survivor from student days; ideal for coffeehouse sojourns, pub crawls, and weekend jaunts to the racetrack. It will be some quid,
but graded stakes thoroughbred racing at Aqueduct and Remington Park are on December's calendar and any and all winnings are to be said spent.

Musher

One of the Regulars
My Italian military surplus commando sweater from SG arrived. It's lighter than my other Wooley pulleys but nice. It seems more like a dress uniform garment than a field garment. I wish they had it in 2xl though. A bargain for what I paid. The od German commando sweater had good reviews so I ordered one to add to the stable. It's on back order until February.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
It does look very nice indeed and I have reserved it with Sportsman's Guide with a view to buying one (I'm also an XL!) later this month or early in the New Year.

Sonero

Practically Family
I have just received a 15% discount offer from Outdoor Knitwear which I fully intend to use to add to my collection of military sweaters.

I recently purchased sweaters from OKW. I was FLOORED by the quality of ALL sweaters that I received. They sent me 2 of the wrong sweaters that didn't have the patches I was looking for. Hopefully they will make amends with me but even then the ones I do have far outshine the error they made.

Sizing was another issue. Everyone says the Wooly Pullys run very small. I don't think so at all. I chose one size up from my normal size and I had to shrink a few in the dryer. Better to shrink down than stretch up I imagine.

I paid roughly $100 per sweater. I could see some of these on the ralph lauren website priced at $400/500 each. They are that superior in quality.

Apparently LL BEAN used to carry them. I found out about them in a sweater review on the BEAN website.

Highly Recommended.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
I recently purchased sweaters from OKW. I was FLOORED by the quality of ALL sweaters that I received. They sent me 2 of the wrong sweaters that didn't have the patches I was looking for. Hopefully they will make amends with me but even then the ones I do have far outshine the error they made.

Sizing was another issue. Everyone says the Wooly Pullys run very small. I don't think so at all. I chose one size up from my normal size and I had to shrink a few in the dryer. Better to shrink down than stretch up I imagine.

I paid roughly $100 per sweater. I could see some of these on the ralph lauren website priced at $400/500 each. They are that superior in quality.

Apparently LL BEAN used to carry them. I found out about them in a sweater review on the BEAN website.

Highly Recommended.

I am sure they will sort out any incorrect orders. They don't often go wrong but if they do, they do have a good reputation for correcting any errors. The have a very good reputation here.

Sonero

Practically Family
I am sure they will sort out any incorrect orders. They don't often go wrong but if they do, they do have a good reputation for correcting any errors. The have a very good reputation here.

Let's Hope.

The issue I always have when purchasing overseas is shipping. they would need to send DHL or someone to my house to pick it up. Shipping those 2 sweaters back myself would be super expensive.

Lets see what they do. Meantime I placed another order.

They make a solid product.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB