Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Motorcycle rider: where do you keep your hats?

frijoli

One of the Regulars
I am ready to buy a bike. Haven't had one for years. I never wore hats before a year ago or so, and now I don't leave home without one.

What to do? What do you all do with your felt fedoras or panamas?

Clay

rgraham

A-List Customer
I would just leave those two at home. If you're buying a "full dress" motor, then they may fit in one of the larger cases. If it's a spartan type bike with no bags, as mine is, I just put a flat cap in under the jacket and go.

frijoli

One of the Regulars
rgraham said:
I would just leave those two at home. If you're buying a "full dress" motor, then they may fit in one of the larger cases. If it's a spartan type bike with no bags, as mine is, I just put a flat cap in under the jacket and go.

Oddly enough, I'm going to buy a Triumph! I am planning on a full bagger, so maybe I need to size the bags accordingly!

Clay

BigSleep

One of the Regulars
My bike was my daily driver for over a year. I always put my fedora in a plastic shopping bag and then in my saddle bag.

Worked for me.

Orvil Newton

One of the Regulars
I was in the motorcycle biz before I retired. If the bike is a full bagger, no problem. Just put the hat in the tour pack and swap with the helmet when you dismount (You will be wearing a helmet won't you?)

Otherwise, as has already been mentioned, a flat cap tucked in the jacket works best.

In my ante- helmet days I wore a "Harley Cap" sort of like the one Marlon Brando wore in "The Wild One". Won't blow off even at speeds in excess of a ton...

But I don't recommend it. Wear a helmet.

Stan

A-List Customer
Hi,

I ride a 1981 Honda GL1100 Goldwing - naked except for the travel trunk. Oh, I have both saddlebags, but usually don't need them so they stay home unless I'm taking a long trip.

I carry a lot of tools and odd parts (spare control cables, light bulbs, etc) and extra riding gear in the bottom half of the trunk. If I want to carry anything else, like, say a hat, then it fits in the upper half of the trunk. Honda designed the thing to hold two standard helmets, so there's a lot of room in there.

I also put the hat in a plastic bag just to make sure that it stays clean.

Stan

Magus

Practically Family
frijoli said:
Oddly enough, I'm going to buy a Triumph! I am planning on a full bagger, so maybe I need to size the bags accordingly!

Clay

WELCOME fellow RAT! You have chosen......wisely. Make sure you check out http://www.triumphrat.net/ It is perhaps the best Triumph information site available. I am Mmagus there. That Tankbag fits a hat nicely. :)

CopyofS8000980.jpg

Barz51

New in Town
I ride a '72 Triumph and wear a late '60's cafe jacket. I really like the flat cap look, I'll have to keep my eyes out for a suitable "aged" model!

I'd love one of the new Triumph Speed Triples but I ride my old 650 hard enough. I'd take my self out for sure on a triple!

Yohanes

One of the Regulars
Hey Magus, is that a magnetic tankbag? I have more or less similar item like that.. but certainly my bike is far below your class :)

But fellows, is it OK to stuff your fedora? Everytime I use this tankbag when I open the bag during stop, the fedora always a bit crushed, even when the fedora is the only item in the bag. BigSleep even stuffs his fedora in saddlebag. Is it going to ruin the fedora in the future?

That's why I've been hunting for a bargain foldaway fedora,, which I haven't found until now. Can't afford Akubra casual or Christy foldaway yet.

and certainly I haven't got any plan to upgrade to car. Fuel cost is high now, certainly not worth it if it's just to enable packing a fedora? lol lol lol

MCrider

A-List Customer
Usually I just tuck a ballcap in the tankbag or front of jacket. I'm debating whether to get a cheap wooly crushable to put in the bag. Figure if it doesn't work out, I'm not out too much

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
They'll fit in a standard side saddlebag with one precaution: you need to have the hat on its side, so you have to find a way to support it (otherwise it'll be resting on the brim). I do it all the time.

That being said, I leave one hat at work so I don't have to transport a hat daily ...

Magus

Practically Family
Yohanes said:
Hey Magus, is that a magnetic tankbag? I have more or less similar item like that.. but certainly my bike is far below your class :)

But fellows, is it OK to stuff your fedora? Everytime I use this tankbag when I open the bag during stop, the fedora always a bit crushed, even when the fedora is the only item in the bag. BigSleep even stuffs his fedora in saddlebag. Is it going to ruin the fedora in the future?

That's why I've been hunting for a bargain foldaway fedora,, which I haven't found until now. Can't afford Akubra casual or Christy foldaway yet.

and certainly I haven't got any plan to upgrade to car. Fuel cost is high now, certainly not worth it if it's just to enable packing a fedora? lol lol lol

No magnets on that one. Its specifically made for the Sprint by Triumph. The mounting base is thick neoprene covered with heavy nylon and velcro attachment places. That whole thing it attahes to the bikes frame rails by nylon straps....very cleanly. Then the bag hooks to the base by velcro and quick snap attachment. It does fit a fedora just fine. now...with ALL of that said. I actually prefer the look of the bike without it and recently took it off. lol (I also get 4mpg better without the bag)

I know Gurrero makes a foldaway fedora...but I am guesing they are not cheap. Or...just get yourself a beater that you don't have to worry about and pop it back in place if it gets a dent or two.

M

Mike H

New in Town
I have a set of Carroll Leather throw over saddlebags on my Sportster. My Puerto Fino Proper Topper fits nicely in the bags. It's made for travel, so I don't have to worry about crushing it. A Puerto Fino Rollup would be even better.

Saddlebags
719.jpg

frijoli

One of the Regulars
Thanks all for the great responses!

I'm aiming for a Bonneville America Bagger,(like this: ) so this should work out well. I'll need a bigger bag I imagine. I am going to make a special holder to put the hat sideways in the bag without bending the brim.

Cool stuff.

Clay

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner