Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Musicians?

howardeye

Practically Family
Nice drums Barry! This is my 1968 Ludwig Sky Blue drum kit I play full time. Not using the double base or the 3rd Tom at this time. The 60's Rogers Holiday Kit will be going to my grandson this summer. He has no clue what they are worth.

DrumsHomburg_zps96f346ea.jpg

Last edited:

Simonds

Vendor
WOW! Those are two very nice drum kits! Your grandson is very lucky to have such a grandfather like you. Nothing like the sound of those vintage
drums. If you go back a couple of pages you will see the kit I made for myself, it includes a 16x28 bass drum! :)

howardeye

Practically Family
Thanks. When I said nice drums I was talking about the previous post also. I was drooling over that base and the others you made. I watched the movie Orchestra Wives the other day wondering what it would be like to play a 40's kit. I am spoiled using modern DW pedals, high hats, and hardware. But the drums and cymbals must be vintage for the sound I want to hear. Again!! Great drums!!

Last edited:

Simonds

Vendor
I don't "perform" but I do play with friends and in front of friends a lot

The best times are with friends.

Thanks. When I said nice drums I was talking the previous post also. I was drooling over that base and the others you made. I watched the movie Orchestra Wives the other day wondering what it would be like to play a 40's kit. I am spoiled using modern DW pedals, high hats, and hardware. But the drums and cymbals must be vintage for the sound I want to hear. Again!! Great drums!!

Love DW hardware!

howardeye

Practically Family
This is the setup I played for many years when I needed the extra tom. I am using the blue hydraulic Evans heads now instead of the clear ones.

Simonds

Vendor
Very nice setup, I can tell you have been playing awhile by the looks of that pattering on your snare head. I also have a Roc n Soc throne, they are made in Waynesville NC close to where I grew up.

howardeye

Practically Family
Thanks. Roc n Soc is the greatest for old men like me with worn out backs! The newer style cam driven pedals help also when the reflexes slow down.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I'm not too sure I'd call myself a musician. A better description might be "an old fat guy who likes to play guitar and sing with his friends". This is a photo from Jackie's and my annual St. Patrick's Day corn beef supper and guitar jam. I'm the fat old guy playing the hog OM.

AF

Last edited:

howardeye

Practically Family
I have always wanted to play the banjo and get my hands on a Vintage Gibson Mastertone but it never came about. I was too busy pickin on the guitar and mandolin. If you have Dish Network or Direct TV there is a great bluegrass show on RFDTV Channel called Cumberland Highlanders from Bill Monroe's home in Kentucky Saturdays nights 8:30 central time. Keep pickin and a grinnin!

howardeye

Practically Family
I'm not too sure I'd call myself a musician. A better description might be "an old fat guy who likes to play guitar and sing with his friends". This is a photo from Jackie's and my annual St. Patrick's Day corn beef supper and guitar jam. I'm the fat old guy playing the hog OM.

AF

I miss them days pickin with the gang. All my pickin friends are dead and gone. Is that a dulcimer hanging on the wall? I use my wife's for a hat hanger. I used to build these when I had free time. This is not one of mine but I upgraded the tuners, added ivory nut and bridge, and pick up.

DSCN1701_zps7b024796.jpg

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Is that a dulcimer hanging on the wall?

It is. It was given to me in 1981 or 1982 by a friend who purchased it from its maker, Frank Hodges. Its a bit unique in that its made entirely from birds-eye maple...perhaps among the last maple dulcimers Mr. Hodges ever made. Even the tuners were hand carved by Mr. Hodges. My friend drove from Chapel Hill to Watauga County to visit Mr. Hodges at his shop. I remember her telling me that she and Mr. Hodges dug through dozens of his dulcimers, still wrapped in newspapers, until she finally found this maple one. I still tune it up and play it from time to time, but even after all these years, I'm still not a very accomplished dulcimer player. BTW…here’s something I found on the net about Frank Hodges and a dulcimer he made for Richard Nixon.

http://everythingdulcimer.com/discuss/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=24153

AF

howardeye

Practically Family
Thanks. I appreciate your story. I love the sound of birdseye maple and the beauty. I have an old Birdseye banjo mandolin from the 30's and a Gibson jumbo flattop in quilted maple I play all the time. It is on the guitar thread somewhere. Like to see a close up of the OM.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Thanks. I appreciate your story. I love the sound of birdseye maple and the beauty. I have an old Birdseye banjo mandolin from the 30's and a Gibson jumbo flattop in quilted maple I play all the time. It is on the guitar thread somewhere. Like to see a close up of the OM.

Here you go...an old John Prine tune recorded on my girlfriend's little Nikon Coolpix camera. Pretty raw, but you can tell how the Martin sounds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-D8lt3rxg0U&feature=youtu.be

AF

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925