Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Aero Long Half Belt...

Cooperson

One Too Many
Tommer - Thanks for the great pics and many congrats on a superb looking jacket, I love colour of the hide and the choice of the lining. I wouldn't worry too much about the restricted feel of the arms, when the leather breaks and relaxes this will go. You waited patiently for a long time for this jacket, so I hope it turns out to be everything you wanted. Enjoy and wear it in good health.

Doublegun - The pic doesn't do the jacket justice but the fit looks fine to me. It might feel tight at the moment but I think you will be amazed at the way the jacket loosens up when the hide breaks in. I could hardly move in my Highwayman when it was fresh out the box, but now it's completely broken in and I have had to cinch in the straps almost to maximum. The body of the jacket has relaxed beyond recognition and where I could only wear a shirt under it, when it was new, I can now wear a sweater no problem. Just give it time and I think you will be very happy with the fit.

Cheers

Doublegun

Practically Family
jack miranda said:
Doublegun: Your jacket is a stunner, as well. From the one pic, it looks like a trim, good fit. Like HD said, more pics are more helpful. What color is it? Looks a rich brown in your pic. And, what size, please?

I'll get some better pic's up after the weekend. The jacket is just frigging georgous. Rich dark brown and the common riding lining...exactly what I was hoping for. I did order mine w/out storm cuffs and so they left them off.

I really like the jacket. As already intimated, the risk is that I order the next size up and would be swimming in the jacket after it breaks in.

Pictures, soon.

Tommer45

One of the Regulars
Viva la resistance!

The jacket after a few days of being worked by hand at night... and some training with la resistance!

LaResistance.jpg

....and one more full sun pic of the jacket front. I think this Aero nudges its way into first in front of my Langlitz for the most amazing looking brown leather I've ever seen.

DSC02218.jpg

Tommer

bobjones

A-List Customer
Cooperson said:
Doublegun - The pic doesn't do the jacket justice but the fit looks fine to me. It might feel tight at the moment but I think you will be amazed at the way the jacket loosens up when the hide breaks in. I could hardly move in my Highwayman when it was fresh out the box, but now it's completely broken in and I have had to cinch in the straps almost to maximum. The body of the jacket has relaxed beyond recognition and where I could only wear a shirt under it, when it was new, I can now wear a sweater no problem. Just give it time and I think you will be very happy with the fit. Cheers

Does the Hwyman really loosen up that much?

The jacket Aero sent me could be zipped up, even over just a t-shirt or button down shirt, only when I had taken out all of the slack in the side straps...should I have just kept it, as it would have loosened up so much over time?

I called Will and he said the size was too small, that I would need more room. My fear is that they are making a new one - and they will error too far the other way, and send too big a jacket...

Cooperson

One Too Many
bobjones said:
Does the Hwyman really loosen up that much?

The jacket Aero sent me could be zipped up, even over just a t-shirt or button down shirt, only when I had taken out all of the slack in the side straps...should I have just kept it, as it would have loosened up so much over time?

I called Will and he said the size was too small, that I would need more room. My fear is that they are making a new one - and they will error too far the other way, and send too big a jacket...

Hi Bob, I can only go by my own experience and my jacket has loosened up a lot since I first got it. The biggest difference is the front panels which were like breast plates from a suit of amour, but are now soft and developing folds which has loosened the whole fit. From what you have described, your jacket did sound too small for you so I would say you did the right thing in changing it. If Will sizes it then it should be right.

Cheers

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Apologies in advance for diverting this thread everso slightly more.

When ordering my Highwayman, I gave Aero the necessary measurements, including chest (expanded and at rest), waist at navel and 'jeans' waist and they delivered a very well-propotioned jacket that fits.

I don't think they can do more than follow the measurements they're given.

My fear is that they are making a new one - and they will error too far the other way, and send too big a jacket...

Maybe it's a Goldilocks jacket... the third one will be just right. ;)

bobjones

A-List Customer
Creeping Past said:
When ordering my Highwayman, I gave Aero the necessary measurements, including chest (expanded and at rest), waist at navel and 'jeans' waist and they delivered a very well-propotioned jacket that fits.I don't think they can do more than follow the measurements they're given.

I did as well, but perhaps they mis-judged the sizing, I'm not sure. If the storm cuffs were not mistakenly included, I might have just sucked it up and not worn it over sweaters, but Will said a local tailor is not a good option at getting them removed.

Maybe it's a Goldilocks jacket... the third one will be just right. ;)

Hopefully she will be pickier this time, and be satisfied on her 2nd try :)

Doublegun

Practically Family
I tool a tape measure to my new LHB over the weekend and then did a little comparison of measurements against the one leather jacket that I have worn for years and I was surprised by what I found: my new LHB is actually cut a little more generously every place except accross the front (where my old jacket has certainly stretched). I also talked with Amanda and she assured me that the jacket will give so I am satisfied.

I have never considered myself a cloths hourse, but I do like good stuff. This jacket is friggin amazing in every respect. Materials, color, the way it's put together: everything. I am sure I'll be ordering another next year - maybe a Byrd jacket.

Cheers

RP McMurphy

One of the Regulars
LHB

Ya know... I always thought the LHB would make an excellent jacket for a partisan leader to wear. However, this might be influenced by a certain film featuring Daniel Craig...[huh]

Jacket, and fit, both look great. Aero really does make some wonderfull stuff. Wear in good health :)

RP McMurphy

One of the Regulars
Doublegun

I believe it's a style common to the 40's-50's, though there may be examples from earlier? Most of the vintage LHB styles that I have seen have had a synthetic quilted lining, which I've always associated with the postwar era (new fabrics came into production during the war years, to replace shortages for the war effort).

:eek:fftopic: Come to think of it, a few of them had elasticized pieces of leather instead of side adjustment straps... but rubber needed for elastic was certainly in short supply during the war. Huh.[huh]

Overall I'd say early 40's to postwar, though I'm sure there are members here who can chime in and offer their two cents. Hope my rambling helps!

tonypaj

Practically Family
Tommer45 said:
The jacket after a few days of being worked by hand at night... and some training with la resistance!

I have the same jacket, however without stormcuffs and with cotton drill lining, and no gun (had enough of them in the army) :). I like mine...

Yours looks to me way better in the latter pics, based on the first ones I would have said it's a size too big. Based on the newer pictures, it looks fine.

Again, a great jacket...

Tommer45

One of the Regulars
Hey Tony.. yeah I felt like the jacket was too big at first, and then I really sinched in the side straps and voila.. the fit felt right on. It contours to my body better and doesn't look as huge. At least now I know that if I gain a few pounds the jacket has the room to grow with me.

Tommer

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
RP McMurphy said:
Ya know... I always thought the LHB would make an excellent jacket for a partisan leader to wear. However, this might be influenced by a certain film featuring Daniel Craig...[huh]

Jacket, and fit, both look great. Aero really does make some wonderfull stuff. Wear in good health :)

Actually, that Craig jacket isn't a half belt and it's totally wrong for the period. However, Magnoli does a great repo of it, it's more of a 1950's jacket. Nice looking item.

Those Aero half belts are to me the best looking jacket you can get. Love them. If only they didn't weight so much.... :eek:

bobjones

A-List Customer
Seb Lucas said:
Actually, that Craig jacket isn't a half belt and it's totally wrong for the period. However, Magnoli does a great repo of it, it's more of a 1950's jacket. Nice looking item.

Those Aero half belts are to me the best looking jacket you can get. Love them. If only they didn't weight so much.... :eek:

Seb, Aero has many different hides - horse, cow, deer, and goat to choose from, and different weights for its horsehide as well, and possibly for its other hides too.

The lighter weight horse is splendid, and if i didn't have a goatskin indy i'd have them come up with something in the lighter weight HH for me...call them, their options and choices are nearly infinite.

JLStorm

Practically Family
Just as an FYI to anyone else thinking of ordering Aero. I have gone factory direct both times that I have ordered with Aero, so not sure that you can do this with Mark M. I told Amanda everything I plan to do with my jackets and that I plan to wear both shirts, a suit jacket on occasion, and extremely thick sweaters in winter. I told her where I want it loose and where it should be a little more snug, etc. I have had extra material placed in certain areas to allow the carrying of certain tools on the belt line as well.

Now I havent received my most recent purchase, what I can tell you is the more information you give Aero the better the experience will probably be. For instance, Amanda enlarged the armholes for me, and enlarged the sleeves circumfrance as I have larger arms. She also asked for two sets of measurements, one set with a regular shirt and one set with the thickest sweater, or suit coat that I plan to wear. Custom lining was available, and slightly custom cuts to allow for a looser fit was available as well. Aero also put extra reinforcement around certain areas and custom fit a collar to my specs. The price for all of this custom work? About 40.00 GBP, not for the labor, but for materials...I almost feel guilty. Will this particular jacket fit like a glove, no because it is a multi-tasker, at times it will feet snug, at times it will look a bit too loose, however, you could specify a very specific cut.

Anyway, my first jacket (a b3/anj-4/custom combo) fit very well and although the sleeves were a little long (which is being corrected now) it fit remarkably well considering my very strange sizing. Will the second fit as well...I dont know, Ive lost some weight and they already started to make the jacket, so it may be a tiny bit big even with the thickest sweater, however I have a feeling as I age I will put some weight back on from time to time, so I shall live with this.

The point of the ramblings are, the more information you give aero about what you plan to do with the jacket and how you plan to wear it, the more they can help modify the jacket for you, and the fee is generally nothing, unless a lot of extra material is required.

just me long wordy opinion.

JohnRawson1944

New in Town
ill fit jacket

sorry pal, but this jacket seems to big at shoulders and with long arms. your chest doesn´t seem to fit. could wear it at at bad weather with much cloth underneath and love it - your jacket looks great, but it just don´t fit you well, untill you haven´t it broken in - that takes time - just wear it - your jacket rocks --- JohnRawson

fraazierjo

New in Town
Horse

I agree with all you guys - the jacket has real 50's class. However - "dark, rich cordovan" without that dark,, rich horsehide smell would be really disappointing. I have a 1955 cordovan brown belted Windward beauty with fur collar, sheep lining and actual leather reinforcements under the arms. This thing is really well built. The leather is heavy, supple and you can smell it in the next room. Got it on ebay for $250 and it was a steal. I'll be putting on some pics when I get around to learning how. In the meantime, Tommer, enjoy breaking yours in and don't be too gentle with it!

Unwissender

One of the Regulars
Hey Fiver...

I don't find the storm cuffs annoying. I normally wear a Carhartt for very cold weather that also has them. I wanted this jacket for winter so the storm cuffs seemed only natural. If I was getting another Aero for motorcycle riding or fall/spring wear, I'd probably do without the cuffs because they do seem to be warm.

And as for the length I find it to be perfect. Check out the previous pics to see where it sits. I love it.

Tommer

Hello Tommy

are now over two years past. how the jacket has developed? nor are you satisfied?

I have read this thread very interesting because I've also ordered a LBH and I am excited how her jacket is now.

I've read here too late, otherwise I would have changed the armholes determined.

regards

nabottle

A-List Customer
Tommer, that Long Half Belt is gorgeous! The leather is so rich looking and the design looks really retro. How does it fit? Did you have to order it special to adjust the fitment?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy