Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My favorite riding/driving gloves

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
Gloves, good idea. Here’s what I’m searching for. I’m looking for a wristlet style glove similar to an A-10 that will go under a jacket cuff and merge with the storm cuff of the jacket. A-10 gloves seem to come in two versions 1. Really cheaply made junk that costs $35 or presumably (won’t pay this much since i’ll inevitably lose them) better made A-10’s for $150. They need to be lined and I’d go as high as $80.

barnabus

One Too Many
As a novice elder, I only have one pair of gloves so far. I wanted as much protection as I could, and I wanted waterproof. And I wanted brown.

So I wear Alpinestars Cafe Divine :

alpinestars_leather_gloves_oscar_cafe_divine_drystar_brown-black.jpg

e: I really like some of the gloves that Gold Top are doing at the moment, so might be looking at them next.

roadking04

Practically Family
I recently picked up a pair of Vanson ropers with the bones. Only wore them about three times on the bike. One time it was 45 degrees with rain.

Overall, I think the gloves have a "cool" factor. I would say they are well constructed. I think they would make better summer gloves. They bunch up around the jacket cuff. They don't really fit under or over the cuff. Plus, they are unlined.

I also had Vansons gauntlet glove with the bones. I returned them for the ropers. The gauntlet ones looked even "cooler", but the zipper was completely useless. The glove barely fit over the sleeve cuff and was impossible to zip. Although, I think the big chrome zipper looked awesome. They were also unlined.

I think the ropers would be a better summer glove if they ended at the wrist. They don't really work as well with a jacket. I think the gauntlet gloves would be better if they were lined and had a bigger gauntlet opening and you could use the zipper to seal it shut.

There are better functioning gloves out there, but I haven't seen any that look as badass as the vansons.
20181104_093946.jpg
20181104_094012.jpg
20181104_094117.jpg
20181104_094135.jpg

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I recently picked up a pair of Vanson ropers with the bones. Only wore them about three times on the bike. One time it was 45 degrees with rain.

Overall, I think the gloves have a "cool" factor. I would say they are well constructed. I think they would make better summer gloves. They bunch up around the jacket cuff. They don't really fit under or over the cuff. Plus, they are unlined.

I also had Vansons gauntlet glove with the bones. I returned them for the ropers. The gauntlet ones looked even "cooler", but the zipper was completely useless. The glove barely fit over the sleeve cuff and was impossible to zip. Although, I think the big chrome zipper looked awesome. They were also unlined.

I think the ropers would be a better summer glove if they ended at the wrist. They don't really work as well with a jacket. I think the gauntlet gloves would be better if they were lined and had a bigger gauntlet opening and you could use the zipper to seal it shut.

There are better functioning gloves out there, but I haven't seen any that look as badass as the vansons. View attachment 143228 View attachment 143227 View attachment 143229 View attachment 143230
This style of glove(skellybones) have become rather popular since that TV program Storage Wars used to be shown over here as one of the characters in the 'Show' wore something similar.
At one time a professional Motorcycle racer named David Aldana wore a complete skeleton suit, I really wanted one but decided if I was going to wear that, most other riders would probably have thought I was some hell of a rider and challenged me every other day I went out!
Pic from Google images
David%20Aldana_zpsnpzu7jgr.png

Edward

Bartender
I favour two sources for my gloves most - Helstons and Chester Jeffries.

CJs are unbeatable for general wear / dresswear gloves - https://www.chesterjefferies.co.uk Check out the special offers, they usually have something nice for sub GBP30.

If you're looking for leather bike gloves with good protection (CE certified) but with a retro/vintage/not overly gaudy look, Helstons are your birdy - http://www.helstons.net/gants.html

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I have been looking at Vanson or Lewis Leathers gloves lately. I have zero experience with either and the Vansons would be cheaper.

I am looking at these ones:

Vanson Rocket for under the cuff

https://vansonleathers.com/vanson-m...cycle-glove-with-knuckle-palm-patch-ROCK.html

Lewis Racing Glove

https://www.lewisleathers.com/productinfo.html?code=glo-806

The Vanson appear to be better by just looking at them.
When looking at Lewis gloves, before you buy have a look at Goldtop(one word), another old 60s maker rejuvenated. Great styles and a lot lot cheaper, good quality too. I can recommend as I have a pair of sheepskin lined old style. I have to say these are very similar to what was produced in the 50s and 60s. With outer sewn seams they are very comfortable and warm.
A few neat jackets to with a great gold satin lining. Latest jackets don't have maker logo. A friend has the 1959 jacket and is very pleased with it.
Check out:
https://www.goldtop.co.uk/gloves

Edward

Bartender
When looking at Lewis gloves, before you buy have a look at Goldtop(one word), another old 60s maker rejuvenated. Great styles and a lot lot cheaper, good quality too. I can recommend as I have a pair of sheepskin lined old style. I have to say these are very similar to what was produced in the 50s and 60s. With outer sewn seams they are very comfortable and warm.
A few neat jackets to with a great gold satin lining. Latest jackets don't have maker logo. A friend has the 1959 jacket and is very pleased with it.
Check out:
https://www.goldtop.co.uk/gloves

My first thought exactly; if I was looking for riding gloves without worrying about CE protective standards, the GoldTop rnge is the first place I'd go. The Lewises are lovely, but no more protective than the Goldtops, and, aswith all thing Lewis, lovely as they are, there's a serious brand tax in action imo.

I actually have my eye on a GT 59 jacket, now they fir them with armour too. I'd like to put a few patches on a jacket ike this, which I know I couldn't bring myself to do on a jacket at £600 plus!

ShadowBoxer

Familiar Face
I like my Lee Parks DeerSports gauntlets (http://leeparksdesign.com).
He also makes a short version. I actually started with a short pair just to see how I liked them. When a small hole developed in one, I replaced them with the gauntlets and these have lasted me years.

Lee Parks are not stiff with a cardboard or plastic panel in the upper part. They are soft and flexible. I often wear them under the jacket (as seen in the picture) but over the top is possible or just folded/collapsed down around the wrist.
BMW%20R100R%20RubyStRocHelloThere-M.jpg

One thing I really like is that his pattern has fewer parts.
That means there are fewer seams to potentially fail. For example most of the lower and the entire upper panel reach all the way from finger tip to the cuff of the gauntlet - in one piece.

They come in all black too, but I like the communication potential of the yellow palms.
Makes them easier to find sometimes too. This must be a few years ago as they are a lot dirtier now.

SinSir

A-List Customer
These aren't vintage... well, I guess they might be now. I bought them in 1998 or 1999 at a local Harley-Davidson dealership, I believe for $20, or maybe it was $50, it's hard to remember so long ago. Either way I've gotten way more than my money's worth out of them.

They're just basic black leather gloves, nothing fancy, or so it seems, but they are well made (in China, at that). They've held up extremely well over 17-18 years, and protected my skin in two minor spills, without sustaining significant damage.

Beyond that, they just fit my hands perfectly. They fit very well from the very beginning, but after over a decade and a half of regular wear, they've molded themselves to my hands like a second skin, and the leather has softened to the point where they just feel amazingly comfortable.

What else I like about them: They don't have any zippers, velcro, or snaps, so nothing to wear out or put stress points at critical seams that would give out. You just slide your hand in them, and they're on. The palms are slightly padded, but it's just a double-thick layer of leather.

There's no garish H-D marketing on them, either, even though they are H-D branded. Whoever designed them had taste and a grasp of subtlety. The palm pad is in the shape of the H-D shield, but it's actually an ergonomic shape that fits that area well. And the words "Harley-Davidson" are stamped into the leather near the wrist, black on black and it's just subtle enough that you would maybe notice it if you knew to look for it there, otherwise they just look like a pair of simple black gloves.

It's funny how things like this work. When I bought them, I simply wanted a pair of leather gloves to protect my hands when riding my motorcycle, and bought these because they fit OK, and had the least amount of H-D branding of any model glove they had at the dealership, and no fancy doodads on them like knuckle armor or ornamental conchos or other nonsense. I didn't know anything about gloves, really, when I bought them. They just seemed like they'd work, and boy have they. I lucked out.

Since I love them so much, I've spent some time looking for a second pair in case these ever get lost of wear out, and I have never been able to. The dealersihp I bought them at closed a couple years ago, but before they did I went back there to look and see if they had them (more than 10 years later, I knew it was a fool's errand, and sure enough they had nothing like these in their current line, not even anything close.) I would really love to find another pair in excellent or unused condition, somehow.

The right hand has a tag which reads:

SHELL: GENUINE LEATHER
LINING: 100% NYLON
LAMINATED
MEN'S
MADE IN CHINA
CA 113407
*I think* -- the letters have worn a bit, could be other numbers -- have a look at the last
photo.

Mine are a size S, which is odd because in most other gloves I usually wear a M or even an L.

View attachment 56666 View attachment 56667 View attachment 56668 View attachment 56669

I know its a very old thread but my dog chewed one of my winter gloves. While looking for a replacement I stumbled on this thread researching.

Anyhow, not sure if you ever found these gloves or not? Theres a similar pair on ebay buy not 20 bucks!

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/173151874382

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I know its a very old thread but my dog chewed one of my winter gloves. While looking for a replacement I stumbled on this thread researching.

Anyhow, not sure if you ever found these gloves or not? Theres a similar pair on ebay buy not 20 bucks!

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/173151874382
I never did find a replacement but the originals are still going strong. I haven't really been looking, it's fairly hopeless. But I appreciate the thought. Thanks!

Peacoat

Bartender
I'm partial to Geier Glove Co model 448 elkskin riding gloves.

6764a09551651793387bdf7eab3f2873.jpg

These are great gloves. I got mine through Aerostitch. I'm on my second pair in 17 years of riding. Of course I have a bunch of others, but these get the most wear during the non cold months. Didn't know who the manufacturer was, though. Thanks for posting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR