Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My first C-Crown "home-made" "Maltese Falcon style" bash

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think you did a great job Toledo.....:eusa_clap

....as mentioned above, maybe the crease goes a bit too low into the ribbon, but that's personal preference I guess. [huh]

One thing you may wanna try next time with the water, instead of pouring it. Try putting it in a spray bottle, then spray the hat where you want to crease it.....just a thought. Some guys like to do it that way as well.

Other then that, you did well first time around and I'm sure you already got the bug to wanna try some more, so go for it Brother. :D

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Torpedo --

was that just room temperature water, or maybe well-directed steam? I've been burning my fingertips lately trying to modify some sloppy bashes. Anyhow, nicely done, and the elongated crease suits your features.

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
Well, I feel a little bit out of place not knowing a single thing about hat shaping, but I just wanted to pop in and say lovely work! When I think of a fedora, this is the hat that comes to mind!

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
I like the sharp crease. It gives the hat some extra character. I think it looks like the prow of a boat, indicating movement, cutting forward. It's an action bash!

carter

I'll Lock Up
maggiethespy said:
Well, I feel a little bit out of place not knowing a single thing about hat shaping, but I just wanted to pop in and say lovely work! When I think of a fedora, this is the hat that comes to mind!

It's nice to get a lady's opinion for a change!

Torpedo, she likes your hat!
:)

Torpedo

One Too Many
Hi again,

Wow! This thread has raised quite a good interest! I'm glad for it. This will serve as an incentive to try and achieve similar results in the future... ;)

Again, thanks to you all for the interesting and nice comments and suggestions. I would single out Maggiethespy as a proper courtesy to a lady :eek:

I see you have appreciated a "classic-but-with-a-personal-touch" air in the project, independently of your liking or not liking the final result, so I would guess the objective I envisaged came to fruition.

Some direct replies to specific interventions follow.

Kaosharper: I had actually seen your hat in a thread, although I thought it was another one, I could not locate it again, but I had it in mind when shaping my own hat.

Craig: so you do know the Torpedo comics! Did you enyoy them? My first avatar was related to the username:

torpedo.jpg

Mahagonny: I like the "action bash" concept! Mmmmh... this can be the ideal lid to select for hectic days! :D

Randooch: I used just distilled water at room temperature. I did not use straight tap water just in case this could leave "marks" because of the chemicals in it.

Regards!

Craig Robertson

One of the Regulars
Yeah, Torpedo, those graphic novels are some of my favorites! But my 12 year old isn't allowed to read them.

Nice hat. Nice hat that Alan Ladd has on also. Lotsa drape in the brim.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
randooch said:
Torpedo --

was that just room temperature water, or maybe well-directed steam? I've been burning my fingertips lately trying to modify some sloppy bashes. Anyhow, nicely done, and the elongated crease suits your features.

No need to doubt the fella's word. He used water as he stated, not steam.

I know there's a lot of die-hard steam fans here - and I was one - but now, if I really want to hand block a new shape into a crown or brim and have lots of control, I use water.

It's important to give the hat a good brushing first so you're not making mud in the areas you wet.

Torpedo did a great job. He credits me for the information and I credit JT Marcus for enlightening me about using water to shape the felt.

Torpedo

One Too Many
Hi,

This is what is great about this forum. Lots of people willing to help, both in the forum threads and by other means. And this circumstance prompts you to pass the knowledge and experiences on to others.

:eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner