Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My latest acquisition

havershaw

Practically Family

One of the vintage Stetsons I just received is a "Vita Felt" hat. It feels incredibly close to the only Optimo I've ever handled (Runquist's grey, on the QM).

It doesn't feel anything like any of my other vintage Stetsons (I have three Whippets, which also all feel totally different).

You probably have something great on your hands there, MK! If all the VitaFelt hats are the same, you're a very lucky man.

havershaw

Practically Family

Matt,
I have one of the very old ones, which had a wide, bound brim (until I took it off about a year ago and tried to put a dimensional cut on the brim - a decision which still brings a tear to my eye today). That one's sort of a dark sandy brown. My other two are newer ones, both with bound brims and the plastic lining inside. The old one is still serviceable, but I wish I'd left the bound brim on there. The brim measures just over 2 1/2" in the front now (which for my narrow face is fine).
My other two are 50s Whippets, with smaller brims, but I still love them. One is just about HJ-colored, with a brim measuring just short of 2 1/2", the other is a greyish brown, which has a brim measuring 2 1/4" (shortest brim I have).
I bought two more last week which haven't arrived yet. The HJ-colored Whippet was probaby my first vintage hat I really oved, so I have a soft spot in my heart for Whippets.

Fedora

Vendor
Hey Matt and Havershaw. That hat you guys are both bidding on has a 2 3/4 brim, and around a 6 inch crown. Nice hat. I was gonna bid on it too, but saw your names. Still, I may have to give you guys some competition since we have no agreements.:D I would have to size it up a size, so I may stay out of the race. So far the finest felt that I own is a vintage Imperial line, sold at a shop in London, a Stetson. I wish you guys could examine this felt. Wonderful stuff. I refuse to wear it, which isn't good, but maybe some more will come up on ebay. I am willing to pay the price of an Optimo for this line. It is that good. regards, Fedora

havershaw

Practically Family
stetson on eBay

Matt, you can have it. I didn't realize that you were the one I was bidding against - guess I didn't look at the name of the previous high bidder.

It's a size big for me anyway; I figured I could use foam - but since it's your size, it would probably have a better home with you. Besides, I've probably bought enough hats this month...

...like that's even possible...

I'm just sorry I drove up the price for you.

havershaw

Practically Family

I'm a 7.

I've been buying a few 7-1/8 in the hope that a little foam under the sweatband will make things right. none have arrived yet, so the jury's still out on whether or not it'll work. (I figure I'll give everyone here first crack at anything I'm not going to use.)

I can wear a 6-7/8 too, but 7 really fits like a glove.

Anyway, don't worry about the eBay Stetson. It's all yours, man. (I have bought a lot of hats in the last couple of weeks, plus a Wested. One less hat isn't going to kill me.)

(I think.)

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
The "Playboy" arrived today. It must be from the thirties or forties. I found an old price tag in the band that said $10.

It is a great hat. The color is a grayish green and the block is super. The brim is about 2 1/2". It could use a cleaning and a new ribbon, but I love it.

I will post pics tomorrow.

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
mk_playboy1.jpg

mk_playboy2.jpg

mk_playboy3.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member