Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My latest Vintage Leather-

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
There's more to this story.

Back in the early 1980s, a vintage clothing business ("American Rag Cie.") here in California started selling large quantities of 1930s menswear from Germany: horsehide coats, collarless dress shirts, dress shirts with long-point collars, black waistcoats with lapels, black cinch-back trousers, black "chesterfield" overcoats, and black frock coats. In other words, the same types of used German clothing that get sent to Chile.

I have no doubt that American Rag Cie. was importing bales of the stuff directly from Germany. (Was it East or West Germany? I have no idea.) Once again, why was (and is) so much of it still available?

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier said:
I have no doubt that American Rag Cie. was importing bales of the stuff directly from Germany. (Was it East or West Germany? I have no idea.) Once again, why was (and is) so much of it still available?

There are regular collections of old clothes in Germany. In fact, that has been criticised because it looks like "give your old stuff to the needy" while it really is a commercial thing. I thought most of it was sold to African countries, but maybe the "good" stuff finds its way to vintage clothing shops in first-world countries?

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
I love Chile, and I sincerely thank you for considering it a first-world country. (I do too!) That said, the rest of the globe, led by the IMF and the World Bank, would call Chile a "developing country".

Only now are young Chileans getting into vintage clothing as a fashion statement, and their tastes are confined to vintage '70s disco wear. I never saw anyone (besides me) actually buying the prewar German stuff at the used clothing stores there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou