Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Name That Hat!

Spellflower

Practically Family
Hello Loungers!

I've been lurking about for about a month or so, and I can't believe all that I've learned about hats in so little time. Thank you to all who contribute to this forum and share your knowledge. You have decided that community means more than keeping ebay prices down, and I salute you for it!

That out of the way, on to the business at hand:
I often wonder about the hats in loungers' avatars. I'm not really knowledgeable enough to be able to identify them most of the time, but I know there are those here who can. So I thought I'd offer this as a test of your hat I.Q.s:

Try to identify the brand, model, and vintage of the hat in my avatar, or other loungers' avatars. Those whose avatar hats are already public knowledge, or who don't have hats in their avatars may wish to post small pictures of hats they own for our perusal. I'll reveal my hat's identity in a few days.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
hey! It's a lot more fun here when you can post.

is the hat newer? Just a guess. I'm no good at telling things from itsy bitsy pictures.

Spellflower said:
Try to identify the brand, model, and vintage of the hat in my avatar, or other loungers' avatars. Those whose avatar hats are already public knowledge, or who don't have hats in their avatars may wish to post small pictures of hats they own for our perusal. I'll reveal my hat's identity in a few days.

I'll guess but it looks like a newer hat and I am not good at those. [huh]
I can say that it has a raw edge, probably a 2 1/2 inch brim. Crown looks to be about 4 1/4 inches blocked as it is at the front. Kind of reminds me of the Trilby style in Europe. I think there may be a wind trolley on that but it is hard to tell from the picture. The hat reminds me of a Scala I saw not too long ago. Don't remember the model though.
Guess if it were a vintage model, I would say it is a 1950s Stetson Flagship. I need a clearer picture of the edge though. Maybe it isn't raw as I first though. Then it might be a Stetson St. Regis or Just plain Deluxe model.
That should cover most of the bases. :D

Regards,
J

thefedorastore

A-List Customer
Spellflower said:
Hello Loungers!

I've been lurking about for about a month or so, and I can't believe all that I've learned about hats in so little time. Thank you to all who contribute to this forum and share your knowledge. You have decided that community means more than keeping ebay prices down, and I salute you for it!

Welcome to the lounge! Let me know if I can ever be of any sort of assistance.

Spellflower

Practically Family
It is indeed a modern production hat, though I'm pleased it could pass for a Flagship! I have yet to find and win a vintage hat which suits my needs on ebay, but this Akubra Fedora is doing a commendable job as my "everyday" hat in the mean time. Its open crown allowed me to shape it as I like (I was actually aiming for a Stetson Chatham look), and it holds up wonderfully in the rain. And for $111 including shipping, it's a pretty good deal.

Spellflower said:
It is indeed a modern production hat, though I'm pleased it could pass for a Flagship! I have yet to find and win a vintage hat which suits my needs on ebay, but this Akubra Fedora is doing a commendable job as my "everyday" hat in the mean time. Its open crown allowed me to shape it as I like (I was actually aiming for a Stetson Chatham look), and it holds up wonderfully in the rain. And for $111 including shipping, it's a pretty good deal.

Well, I expect that you were probably shooting for a vintage style like this:
1949StetsonFlagshipDanaAndrews.jpg

Now this could be you with a moustache added and a little older of course;) :
1949STETSONGEORGE.jpg

I was going to guess Akubra but I just haven't had enough contact with their hats to be sure. [huh] Be careful with that holds up wonderfully in the rain stuff. Some people think that a hat is for show not go. :p ;)
You did a great job shaping it. First time?
Welcome to the Lounge.

Regards,

J

Spellflower

Practically Family
I like those old Stetson ads! I'll have to save them for the next time I shape the hat. This was actually my second blocking attempt. The first was on my Akubra Federation- a great hat, but just a bit large. Perfect for wearing on more adventurous pursuits, but not what I wanted to wear to work. I ended up shaping it more like a Raiders hat, simply because that's the style that it seems best suited for. I like it, but I don't particularly care to be an Indiana Jones clone, so I'm thinking of trying to put a deep center dent in it instead of a tear drop.

As for holding up in the rain, Akubra seems to have a pretty good reputation in that regard, probably thanks to the fact that they have a copious supply of wild rabbits. Though the rabbits are a non-native species in Australia, and have really wreaked havoc on the native flora, they do have one positive quality- their hides make some great felt. So good, in fact, that Steve Delk said (on COW) that it's better than the rabbit fur felt he uses, which is way better than the stuff Stetson uses today.) Ron at Hats Direct assured me that it will hold up in the rain as well as my Federation, which is quite a champ. I actually find that the best way to shape my hats is when I get home after walking in a downpour. I just leave the hat on my head and go into the bathroom, where I shape it the way most people style their hair.

Thanks for the feed back, and I hope others will post some pictures for us to guess at!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats