Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Natural Products

Miss Peach

One of the Regulars
If I'm repeating, please delete or deal with the thread as necessary (and my apologies)

What are your favorite natural products? I'm getting more and more into what's purer and more natural and I have some definite favorites...such as:

Rose Thayer's Rose Witch Hazel Toner
Trader Joe's Lavender Salt Scrub
Tea Tree Oil Face Wash by Desert Essence
Korres Wild Rose skin regimen
Smith's Rosebud Salve
Queen Helene's products (the gamut)
Mama Bear's Shave Sticks

Last edited:

beth

Familiar Face
If I'm repeating, please delete or deal with the thread as necessary (and my apologies)

What are your favorite natural products? I'm getting more and more into what's purer and more natural and I have some definite favorites...such as:

Rose Thayer's Rose Witch Hazel Toner
Trader Joe's Lavender Salt Scrub
Tea Tree Oil Face Wash by Desert Essence
Korres Wild Rose skin regimen
Smith's Rosebud Salve
Queen Helene's products (the gamut)
Mama Bear's Shave Sticks

I like Desert Essence's Facial Wash also. I will have to look into the others. Thanks for making this thread, I want to use more natural products.

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
I also love Thayer's Rose Witch Hazel Toner (alcohol free, yay!). I use:

Jason's Rosewater and Glycerine bodywash (first time the boy has ever said that he likes the smell of something w/out being asked)
Beauty Without Cruelty extra rich hand cream
Alba and Derma E facial cleansers
Derma E's Anti-Aging Moisturizing Complex with SPF 15 (my very most favorite-est new-to-me product). Finally, a moisturizer that doesn't clog my pores, feels great under make up, and has mineral sunscreen so I'm not using toxic chemicals on my face everyday!

I've also switched to sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner given the recent research suggesting that sulfates may contribute to hair loss. I'm not really that worried about it, but my hair is thin to start with.

Blonde

New in Town
Witch hazel has been one of my favourites since I was a teenager. Making soap and shaving soaps is great too! Mine are made with goats milk from a local farm, they cure to this gorgeous creamy colour. I'd like to expand it to other products when I get around to the research.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Well, I've slowly been weeding out more "commerical products" for things I make from more "basic commerical ingredients." Because I'm cheap. lol

But these are things I've used in the past and liked:
-Aubrey Organics Shampoo (I used the Fern kind, very good for greasy hair)
-Atria conditioner (I thought this was a good value- sulfate free and in a big bottle, lasted me six months, about $15 USD)

I'm still using Canus Goat's Milk bar soap, Dr. Bronners liquid soap (almond), and Aubrey's hair spray (no silicones). I also use Badger Balm's chapstick (for under my lipstick), their sore muscle rub (the best), and their anti-bug balm (works decent).

I would like to move to a more natural sunscreen, but I burn so easily and so badly that I am afraid that I won't find one strong enough (30 SPF is the strongest I've found by Badger Balm, but I am too chicken to try it without a recommendation). Any recommendations would be helpful.

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
I'm very fair and burn easily. I've found that, for occasions when I'm outside in the sun, I still really need to use chemical sunblock. Mineral sunscreen is great for everyday, in and out of work, running errands and the like, but it just doesn't cut it for hard core sun exposure: water sports, a day at the beach or a picnic in the park. Even a light sweat washes it off. I need waterproof SPF 50, and I reapply religiously. As a (somewhat odd) side note, the Burt's Bees mineral sunscreen gave my mom hives. Usually, I'm the more sensitive of the two of us, but she reacted badly to it and needed a cool bath and Benadryl.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I'm very fair and burn easily. I've found that, for occasions when I'm outside in the sun, I still really need to use chemical sunblock. Mineral sunscreen is great for everyday, in and out of work, running errands and the like, but it just doesn't cut it for hard core sun exposure: water sports, a day at the beach or a picnic in the park.

That's kind of my fear. I once got burnt through a dress on the walk from my work to my car. I was wearing a big floppy hat and everything. In 15-20 minutes of sun/ shade exposure- the only place I didn't get burnt on my upper body was through my bra- and it was a very bad burn that hurt for almost a week. I think the chemicals it is for me. :( I can't imagine the sunscreen is that much worse for me than skin cancer or just being painfully burnt to a crisp.

And totally off topic, but I read someplace that in the US they will no longer allow sunscreen to be labeled above SPF50, as some people think that means they can be out all day without reapplying. As somebody who really needs to know the exact SPF for how long I can be out in the sun before I need to reapply, this was extremely upsetting to me. I haven't seen it happen yet though, so maybe I'm mistaken.

Miss Peach

One of the Regulars
*composing shopping list*

I'm extremely fair as well (redhead) and I just bought some SPF 80. I am hesitant to try natural sunscreen like many of you ladies, so I just go for formulas made for babies. I figure it's slightly less destructive (hopefully. . .)

Clabbergirl

One of the Regulars
Miss Peach, I do the same thing - buy 'sensitive' formulas for infants. The US is still labeling sunscreens about SPF 50, and the highest I've seen yet is SPF 100. I have sunblock everywhere just like lip balm - in my purse, the car, desk at work, in friend's cars...it's nuts. But necessary.

Updated because I heard today on NPR Radio that the FDA IS changing the rule on ratings.

http://www.npr.org/2011/06/15/137199806/fda-updates-sunscreen-label-rules-for-next-summer

Last edited:

Odalisque

A-List Customer
Neat article ^^^^

Lord, sun exposure causes skin cancer but all the oxide particles in sunscreen cause skin cancer as well!!! There's just no winning, is there?
I've taken to just staying out of the sun completely whenever possible.
And taking my vitamin D in pill form :rolleyes:

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
I'm guessing everyone knows about the Environmental Working Group's Skindeep cosmetics database? I use it before buying any new products, and I just won't purchase anything over a 4.

http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/

- E

Thanks for posting this! Had you not done so, I would have. Please to note that, in many cases, the "sensitive" and "infants" sunscreens are some of the worst. Incredibly depressing and dishonest, I know. Also note that EWG only addresses products that are legal for sale in the US. Products sold in Europe which have not yet been legalized stateside (several new and less toxic sunscreen compounds come to mind) aren't rated. The research invested in these write ups has gone a long way to changing my habits, and I'm grateful for it.

And taking my vitamin D in pill form :rolleyes:

Please be careful with this! I know I've mentioned it before, but it's been quite a long time. Many OTC Vitamin D pills are D3. This can be very dangerous, as the body only needs a tiny amount of D3, which it makes itself from other D vitamins. Excessive amounts of D3 can be very toxic. This is one of the vitamins that I strongly believe should be entirely sourced from veggies and fortified dairy (a healthy adult doesn't need much at all), unless otherwise advised by your physician. If you are acting under the direction of your doctor, please ignore me :)

cassylynn

One of the Regulars
After my mother battled breast cancer in 2006 I switched everything in our home from personal products, cleaning products and of course, our food. Everything we eat is organic, home grown or purchased from a local farmer.

Ecover Cleaning Products
Afterglow Cosmetics
Aubrey Organics
Natracare Feminine Products

I make my own laundry detergent using all natural products.