Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need Advice on Non-Zip Cuff for New Bike Jacket

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
Long story short: I'm ready to order from JL and have decided on everything but the cuff. It would be easy to go with zippers; but I don't like long arms, so I think I'll be wearing gauntlets and zippered cuffs for tucking gloves in aren't really necessary. (And, without them, I think the coat would be somewhat more stylish during my pleasure-crazed social season.;)). I want to be able to open the cuffs for ventilation but also close them tight. I've been researching makers beyond Aero and looking at old vintage and Luftwaffe jackets, etc. and have come up with the following so far. I like the idea of an infinite adjustment; but don't like the leather just "bunching up" under the gauntlet, so I'm intrigued with the "shirt cuff" idea combined with the strap or a couple of snaps, open and tight. That way, when it was closed, one panel could slide inside the other. The last pic is a fairly common cuff; but I've never seen it with more than one snap for adjustability. Or maybe I'm over-thinking it, and should just go with zip sleeves that close tight.

DOES ANYONE HAVE PIX OF CUFFS LIKE WHAT I'M AIMING FOR???

GrizzlyFront.jpg

GrizzlyRear.jpg

Luft3.jpg

Luft1.jpg

Luft2.jpg

Cuff.jpg

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Long story short: I'm ready to order from JL and have decided on everything but the cuff. It would be easy to go with zippers; but I don't like long arms, so I think I'll be wearing gauntlets and zippered cuffs for tucking gloves in aren't really necessary. (And, without them, I think the coat would be somewhat more stylish during my pleasure-crazed social season.;)). I want to be able to open the cuffs for ventilation but also close them tight. I've been researching makers beyond Aero and looking at old vintage and Luftwaffe jackets, etc. and have come up with the following so far. I like the idea of an infinite adjustment; but don't like the leather just "bunching up" under the gauntlet, so I'm intrigued with the "shirt cuff" idea combined with the strap or a couple of snaps, open and tight. That way, when it was closed, one panel could slide inside the other. The last pic is a fairly common cuff; but I've never seen it with more than one snap for adjustability. Or maybe I'm over-thinking it, and should just go with zip sleeves that close tight.

DOES ANYONE HAVE PIX OF CUFFS LIKE WHAT I'M AIMING FOR???

Luft3.jpg

Cuff.jpg

I personally prefer a cleaner look without straps around the sleeves and might favor cuffs with either one or two snaps, as per above. A button cuff might be less convenient to use on the fly than one with snaps. Maybe as you say zip cuffs might be best in your situation. I dunno. :decision:

JLStorm

Practically Family
I think you will find that snaps will become annoying and straps will both probably have enough slip to require constant adjustment. It would drive me batty.I think the best alternative is the button idea, but I have a feeling you'll wish you had either done a zipper or nothing at all.

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
I think you will find that snaps will become annoying and straps will both probably have enough slip to require constant adjustment. It would drive me batty.I think the best alternative is the button idea, but I have a feeling you'll wish you had either done a zipper or nothing at all.

Do you really think D-rings, like on the Lost Worlds pictured, would slip? I find it hard to believe that LW would employ a solution that didn't work. Beside that, Alan at JL uses them on the side belts of his jackets, I'm sure.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
... I have a feeling you'll wish you had either done a zipper or nothing at all.

I can't say that I disagree with Storm's latter statement. The idea of outside straps might be the worst idea of all, with leather bunching up as you mentioned, and one the outside straps maybe snagging on something. Once I have something snapped or buttoned, I like to leave it alone. In retrospect, zip sleeves IMO make more sense than anything else if you think you will need to frequently adjust the sleeves.

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
I can't say that I disagree with Storm's latter statement. The idea of outside straps might be the worst idea of all, with leather bunching up as you mentioned, and one the outside straps maybe snagging on something. Once I have something snapped or buttoned, I like to leave it alone. In retrospect, zip sleeves IMO make more sense than anything else if you think you will need to frequently adjust the sleeves.

I don't mind saying that I was all hot to talk to Alan and thrash this all out with him; but the more people say, "go with the zip," the more likely I am to do just that. I will pay attention to the diameter of the cuffs when the zip is closed and go for tighter than when I got the "stock" sleeves for a 42. Also I was thinking about a police jacket from the 60's I just had on that had rabbit fur sewn inside the cuffs. It really made them snug in a nice way.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Dinerman, a picture is worth a thousand words but would be interested in at least a few words from you telling us a bit about the jacket in your picture, and any other words of wisdom.

ForestForTheTrees

One of the Regulars
I'm with JLStorm, zips or a clean barrel sleeve are probably your best bets.

I've talked to Alan about the D-ring strap option in the past. He made a jacket for himself years ago with just this type of strap for the cuff adjustment. I was concerned that it might get hung up on things. He said that he did not have a problem with the straps catching on things, however he did not care for the inevitable curling of the strap end that occurs with time.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
That jacket looks very similar to a "grizzly" (I believe) jacket that Alan showed me which he had made for a customer in Japan. If you are indeed going with the fur, have no doubt there. That particular jacket there was the BEST one in the entire shop that afternoon.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Dinerman, a picture is worth a thousand words but would be interested in at least a few words from you telling us a bit about the jacket in your picture, and any other words of wisdom.

It's a jacket with a bukle cuff similar to what the OP was asking for photos of.

JLStorm

Practically Family
I give up. I'm definitely going with the zip and putting it out for discussion really helped me a lot. Thanks to all.

Not sure if this is possible, but since you seemed worried about doing a zipper and having the cuffs too long, is it possible you could go with the standard knit cuffs with the leather bottom and have the zipper placed there?

I'm not sure if this would be something that got in the way or would be a pain in the butt to use. Just thought I would throw it out there. I have never had a jacket with zippered cuffs, but I've wore my dads when I was younger and didnt ever have any issues with the zip being there, other than that metal pull getting in the way.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
To me plain zipper cuffs are well engineered for fine tuning the lower cuff diameter. For a jacket used largely for riding, anything else seems like an attempt to reinvent the wheel.

Plumbline

One Too Many
Seems to me that there are some bikers who are gloves inside the sleeve and some who are gloves outside the sleeve (you) ... and some who swap and change.

The simplest solution is a gusseted zip closure but my experience is that this eventually cuts up the inside of gauntlet gloves and can feel a bit cumbersome round the wrist ( but it does stop the wind shooting up your sleeves). GREAT for gloves inside though ( although it can be a pain to pull the zips down with gloves on). I'd go with this for sheer flexibillty.

I have double D rings and straps on my Californian ... these work REALLY well and don't loosen at all.

The simplest is a nice fitted straight sleeve with no fastening ( but it has to fit really well and not be big and gaping) .. I'd go with this for "look" and simplicity. IMHO anything with a complicated cuff just feels like a bunch of clutter round my wrists ( zip / button / strap) so I'd go for a simple neat fitted sleeve with nothing added every time ... and NO inside elastic cuffs which are just superfluous IMHO.

Just my view - hope it helps.

Peacoat

Bartender
Dinerman always comes up with it!

While riding, I will be taking off gloves and zipping or unzipping one handed. The simpler the better. I would think anything more complicated than a zipper would be more than I could deal with, and it wouldn't be safe.

IXL

One Too Many
I have a riding jacket with each sleeve having two snaps and no gusset (kind of like the old jeans jackets), and I really don't care for it. I find the zipper-style to be much, much more functional. Zippers allow one to control how much cuff-diameter reduction one has, and can easily accommodate the gauntlet part either outside or inside the sleeve.
In all of my years riding, I have yet to experience a gauntlet tearing up before the hand/fingers/palm give out, and certainly not because of a zipper. I'm not doubting those who state they have suffered this, but I never have.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
To me plain zipper cuffs are well engineered for fine tuning the lower cuff diameter. For a jacket used largely for riding, anything else seems like an attempt to reinvent the wheel.
I rest my case. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy